Castrol Stop-Start oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marketing. They sold GTX in the 1980s "For today's smaller cars". That's everybody!

Originally Posted by eljefino
Marketing. They sold GTX in the 1980s "For today's smaller cars". That's everybody!

In the 80s was Castrol even selling GTX? Up here in Canada at least, I only recall Castrol selling their XLR line. I used Castrol XLR 10w30 in my brand new 1988 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by eljefino

In the 80s was Castrol even selling GTX? Up here in Canada at least, I only recall Castrol selling their XLR line. I used Castrol XLR 10w30 in my brand new 1988 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo.

Yeah it was the motor oil which protected against viscosity and thermal breakdown.

Originally Posted by Silver
What the heck does this mean, and how is it accomplished? "Forms a self-healing layer that clings to metal surfaces..."
If this is true, I wonder if it would be good for a vehicle that sits for weeks as the oil slowly drains from places.
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/unite...t-range/castrol-magnatec-stop-start.html

They are simply referring to polar molecules, which all motor oils have to some extent. Some more than others, and Magnatec may use more, I'm not really sure. Probably using polymer esters like that found in HyperLube ZRA additive or Ketjenlube ones, would be my guess. Whatever they use to do it, they only claim to beat the OM646LA engine test by 20%, so thats not a lot, and I'd expect about any full synthetic run on that test to do about as well.

reference: "Another way that an anti-wear additive may function is through a bonded layer onto the surfaces. This layer will generally bond directly to the metal surface because of polar attraction rather than reacting with the surface. The polar molecules will be attracted to the metal surface and displace the bulk oil film, thereby adding a stronger layer of protection than the less polar oil would alone. " --- http://www.mototribology.com/articles/anti-wear-friction-modification/ ..... and that is self-healing & clinging, just like they say.

Yes it would be good for a vehicle that sits for weeks, as you mention, because this stuff, and most oils, will slime the surface of metals.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e7UO8-FoWJA7IkjrJNhIU7COAx42pVp7ioMydKFmw9Y/edit?usp=sharing

According to my deck of Castrol Playing cards, with the History of Wakefield....
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e7UO8-FoWJA7IkjrJNhIU7COAx42pVp7ioMydKFmw9Y/edit?usp=sharing

1968 7C The first global oil brand is created with the launch of Castrol GTX, the first multigrade oil with 20W50 viscosity
1970 8C Castrol GTXlaunched in Australia. The launch event took place at the classic Hardie Ferodo 500 race for production sallon cars at Bathurst

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
What the heck does this mean, and how is it accomplished? "Forms a self-healing layer that clings to metal surfaces..."
If this is true, I wonder if it would be good for a vehicle that sits for weeks as the oil slowly drains from places.
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/unite...t-range/castrol-magnatec-stop-start.html

They are simply referring to polar molecules, which all motor oils have to some extent. Some more than others, and Magnatec may use more, I'm not really sure. Probably using polymer esters like that found in HyperLube ZRA additive or Ketjenlube ones, would be my guess. Whatever they use to do it, they only claim to beat the OM646LA engine test by 20%, so thats not a lot, and I'd expect about any full synthetic run on that test to do about as well

As I've said earlier in other threads, I had dinner with a Castrol chemist who worked locally on the magnatec engine programme in Oz (He was an amazing up close prestidigitator as well (It's one of those dinners that I got those cards).

With regard to Castrol's "UMA" (Unique Molecular Attractant) additive, he stated that their test engine programme went with a bookend of their reference oil (M1 5W50, I kid you not)
Reference Oil
Flushing Oil
Test Oil
Flushing Oil
Reference Oil

so that they could obviously see that the engine condition did not change through the process.

He stated that they were surprised that the effect of the UMA additive lasted through the flushing stage, and was evident in at least the early stages of the reference oil bookend...the layer left was tenacious.

I have the utmost respect for the Magnatec range, having spoken directly to a formulator in the programme.

Member bobbydavro has suggested that there's a more newer version in edge (Titan programme)

Originally Posted by Zee09
It's a great dipstick walker too.
What's that mean?
In seeming contrast.... I notice all three brands of synthetic I've used (NOT including Castrol) so far tend to peel clean off some areas on the Toyota dipstick, somewhat like water sliding off wax. I never saw that phenomenon with conventional oil in previous cars.

Does anyone remember a Castrol Syntec commercial where they drain a race car sump, then filled it with one quart of their syn and ran it around to demonstrate how great it was? Maybe the late 1980's or early 90's?

What the heck does this mean, and how is it accomplished?

"Forms a self-healing layer that clings to metal surfaces..."

I think it means the bottle has oil in it. This is accomplished by putting oil in the bottle.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Does anyone remember a Castrol Syntec commercial where they drain a race car sump, then filled it with one quart of their syn and ran it around to demonstrate how great it was? Maybe the late 1980's or early 90's?

I remember it!

Magnatec does an excellent job in the 4.6 in my sig-when I first bought it, it made some pretty loud timing chain rattles for the first 10 seconds after it sat for 3 days or more, even with a silicone ADBV & 5W20 Maxlife. Picked up a bunch of Magnatec when AAP & AZ closed it out, it now barely makes any noise on start up at all, even after sitting for a WEEK! Zero consumption issues & great highway MPG too!

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh

I remember it!

I remember it being a dodge intrepid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back