Mazda PEO1 14 302B Cut open (Factory Part)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a factory filter from the 1st oil change at 3,000 miles of a 2018 Mazda 3, 2.5L. I'm no expert at doing autopsies on oil filters so, you can be the judge. This was an early change to get the new engine particulate matter out. When the engine had 1500 miles, I put 2 oz of MoS2 in the oil and you can see it in suspension.

And yes... I have a pretty elaborate can opener.

Ray

IMG_20181017_154744.jpg

IMG_20181017_154759.jpg

IMG_20181017_174007.jpg

IMG_20181017_174238.jpg

IMG_20181017_174325.jpg

IMG_20181017_174350.jpg

IMG_20181017_174526.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Very nice pics
smile.gif

Filter looks good also. Thank You

My pleasure...

Say there 53' Stude, would you hazard a guess about the filtering quality of that original part? That is, would it be something like a 20 or 25 micron with 95% or 99% efficiency etc? How would the factory filter rate compared to the Fram 6607 Ultra Guard I replaced it with?

Ray

I don't know much about filtration ratings. Member ZeeOSix is my go to guy on those questions. Hope he chimes in real soon
wink.gif

Nice Lathe! Good looking filter too, appears to lack any sort of ADBV, must not be required.

To the OP, I can't imagine that any OE filter is >99% like the XG Fram or even 99% like a TG. The media looks nice, perhaps a blended media list the TG. But rest assured the XG you installed should filter at least as well and likely better for particles greater than or equal to 20um as the OE filter!

Thanks for the cut!

Lathe chuck looks brand new. Nice to see different filters cut open. Looks like top quality. Great looking bypass valve with lots of holes and everything centered. Looks like a winner.

I thought the filter I saw on an Infiniti was small, is it just an optical illusion or is that a tiny filter? Looks like a thimble.

That Tokyo Roki filter, same one that was installed by the factory on my '17 Mazda6, is a 67mm 14 flute one, and it is made in Japan... The dealer-available one is a different part number unit, made in Thailand, and 65mm 14 flute. The original one did not fit my cup-socket... but the smaller one does.

Regardless of filter size / cup socket size - I sure wish I could get the made-in-Japan original ones... but no dice.

Incidentally, there was a matter out there re Skyactiv engine oil filters having a different bypass valve setting or a different kind of anti drainback valve (????) - and the comments were that there were relatively few jobber filter brands out there that had truly compatible filters (yet). I don't recall details beyond that. Would it be prudent, then, for the moment - to stick with the OEM filter (i.e. the dealer supplied Tokyo Roki filters)?

Ran that filter for yeas when I could get a hold of them really nice filter. What oil in the Mazda been running Zepro high moly 0w20 in my 18 Subaru seems to be the factory go to oil.

That filter looks great all around. Even the dome end bpv seems convincing to me on that one.
I'd expect nothing less form the Japanese though.
As far as efficiency, I saw one Tokyo Roki listed to be 99% efficient at 17u but I don't know how to verify that for sure.
Either way, looks very well made, thanks

Originally Posted by Ablebody
That filter looks great all around. Even the dome end bpv seems convincing to me on that one.
I'd expect nothing less form the Japanese though.
As far as efficiency, I saw one Tokyo Roki listed to be 99% efficient at 17u but I don't know how to verify that for sure.
Either way, looks very well made, thanks

Can you post where you saw that?

I should have said 98.7@17u
I believe it's correct but no way to verify. Company doesn't seem to throw much info out to the public.
[Linked Image]

Looks like the Mazda factory filters posted here before. Unique dome bypass design, no adbv. As for the efficiency, most all the OE/OEM keep that information proprietary. I'll say I'm skeptical of the information from oilfilterdata. IF it's the same Mazda OE application, description says it has an adbv, the topic filter does not. It would also make it not only the most efficient Asian filter application rating I've seen by far but right there with the most efficient filters. 17 an odd micron level, makes me wonder if it's quoted using the current test standard. Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Looks like the Mazda factory filters posted here before. Unique dome bypass design, no adbv. As for the efficiency, most all the OE/OEM keep that information proprietary. I'll say I'm skeptical of the information from oilfilterdata. IF it's the same Mazda OE application, description says it has an adbv, the topic filter does not. It would also make it not only the most efficient Asian filter application rating I've seen by far but right there with the most efficient filters. 17 an odd micron level, makes me wonder if it's quoted using the current test standard. Thanks for c&p.

Yeah, we've run around that bush before IRT the posted website data. There's no indication that it is correct nor any reference as to where it came from.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Yeah, we've run around that bush before IRT the posted website data. There's no indication that it is correct nor any reference as to where it came from.

[Linked Image]

Sure thing.
No it's not the same filter as the topic filter. It's just the only real (or not) info Ive seen listed for any Toky Roki. In fact of all the oe Asian filters through all my searching it's only 1 of 2 that I've really seen a micron filtering ability claimed. Me that is, Perhaps others have some better info.
I've searched through old bitog post by googling and found an old amsoil test comparison of several filters. One being a Toyota filter that was said to be like 50% efficient. Is that the basis of the common belief that Asian oe filters are less efficient? Just 1 amsoil comparison? Or are there other data points?
I've noticed Mazda seems to use various manufacturers for their filters. I've seen Purolator looking and maybe male and Toko Roki and some Purolator looking tiwanes filters.

Sure thing.
No it's not the same filter as the topic filter. It's just the only real (or not) info Ive seen listed for any Toky Roki. In fact of all the oe Asian filters through all my searching it's only 1 of 2 that I've really seen a micron filtering ability claimed. Me that is, Perhaps others have some better info.
I've searched through old bitog post by googling and found an old amsoil test comparison of several filters. One being a Toyota filter that was said to be like 50% efficient. Is that the basis of the common belief that Asian oe filters are less efficient? Just 1 amsoil comparison? Or are there other data points?
I've noticed Mazda seems to use various manufacturers for their filters. I've seen Purolator looking and maybe male and Toko Roki and some Purolator looking tiwanes filters.

For the US, Mazda uses only Roki filters. The factory filters are Japanese made. For us, we get the Thailand made or the Mexican made if you get the value filter.

This might change in the future as Toyota uses Denso to keep it all in the family. I would speculate that the future US assembled Mazdas will have Denso filters. That is a few years down the road yet.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Sure thing.

For the US, Mazda uses only Roki filters. The factory filters are Japanese made. For us, we get the Thailand made or the Mexican made if you get the value filter.

This might change in the future as Toyota uses Denso to keep it all in the family. I would speculate that the future US assembled Mazdas will have Denso filters. That is a few years down the road yet.

Nice!

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

Incidentally, there was a matter out there re Skyactiv engine oil filters having a different bypass valve setting or a different kind of anti drainback valve (????) - and the comments were that there were relatively few jobber filter brands out there that had truly compatible filters (yet). I don't recall details beyond that. Would it be prudent, then, for the moment - to stick with the OEM filter (i.e. the dealer supplied Tokyo Roki filters)?

I've been trying to get to a true answer for this but have not been able to. Mazda is mute when it comes to technical data of their filter. After doing some research, if you call it that, I came to this conclusion posted on a Mazda specific forum.

From what I can tell, Mazda specified a different filter for the Skyactiv line up. A filter that had a higher bypass rating. People found out about this new filter via the announcement below and freaked out thinking that the Skyactiv filter was a "special" filter and using any other kind of filter would lead to sudden doom. When in reality, many aftermarket filters already achieved a bypass rating in the range of the new Skyactiv filter. Wix however, did not, so they created the 57002. This led to more freaking out as people now stated that since Wix created a new filter, there's must be the only aftermarket option to actually meet the "special" filter specifications. This whole Skyactiv filter fiasco is based on lack of knowledge and misunderstanding. This is speculation, and if I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but so far this seems like the only logical answer.

Mazda Filter Announcement.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back