Subaru Forester tire pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tire pressure on my 2018 Subaru is 32 front 30 rear but the dealer set all four wheels to 35psi.Is this safe and can I stay with this pressure all the time?Thanks Joe

Yes.
A lot of us who live in areas with cold winters just put 40 psi in all four tires at the first sign of the dreaded TPMS light with the onset of colder weather.

The factory psi recommendation for passenger cars is usually based on a perceived preference for a cushy ride with the vehicle lightly loaded. I run the tire pressure higher than suggested by the car manufacturer because I value crisp handling and increased road feel. The one thing you certainly want to avoid is that the rear tires lose traction before the front tires do. How much higher pressure you can safely run in the front and rear depends on the weight distribution of the vehicle in question, how many passengers/cargo it's hauling and on your personal preference. 35psi for a vehicle the size of the Forester with the OE tires seems about right to me.

Agreed . 35 seems just right without feeling too harsh. I was running 32 all summer until the weather cooled down, figured +3 lbs. would make up for lost pressure in the fall. I think I'll run 35 next summer instead of 32 to help with fuel mileage and handling. Always adjusting and checking pressure especially in winter.

My Crosstrek calls for the same PSI as your Forester. But, I have been running 36 psi all around on my Crosstrek. The factory setting felt to soft. No problems at all at 36 psi.

Hmm, mine rides rough at door sticker pressure, think its 32 front 33 rear, might be other way around! 255/55/18. Not WRX rough, but its stiff. I run Door sticker pressure on my vehicles, cept unloaded 1 ton trucks.

Mine needs new batt's for TPMS, so I don't care, I check my pressure and I swap tires/wheels soon as it starts snowing any way. To each his own,

It's fine. It's pretty common practice to set the tire pressures a hair higher. It's both an allowance for the fact that the vehicle has been driven, and the tires aren't 'cold,' and to make up for the weather getting cooler, stopping you from having to make another round to air up tires

Tire pressures have a range dictated by weight. The door placard is a guideline. Full car? Towing? Air it up more. Just don't exceed the max pressure listed on the sidewall

Last edited:
I always fill my tires to 10% under the maximum listed on the sidewall which allows for a modest increase when driven and/or in summer. I don't mind the slightly harsher ride, and it helps with handling feel and mileage as others have stated. Other than slightly rougher ride and "maybe" reduced puncture resistance, there aren't many downsides as long as you are in the rated range of the tire.

On bigger, heavier vehicles, with all other tire specs being equal, I seriously evaluate tires that have a higher psi rating. One, it's a heavier duty tire and should suffer less degradation, and two, the extra additional psi can be used in tuning the handling better when the vehicle is heavily loaded, which can sometimes result in bulging sidewalls and a ride that wallows.

Sounds like a decent pre delivery inspection done by your dealer. Of the 3 brand new Subarus I've had (2012, 2014, 2016), all had ~45psig in the tires when I got them home. I always ran them at or ~2psig higher than the door sticker spec.

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
It's fine. It's pretty common practice to set the tire pressures a hair higher. It's both an allowance for the fact that the vehicle has been driven, and the tires aren't 'cold,' and to make up for the weather getting cooler, stopping you from having to make another round to air up tires....Tire pressures have a range dictated by weight. The door placard is a guideline. Full car? Towing? Air it up more. Just don't exceed the max pressure listed on the sidewall
All true. Toyota had a service memo out a while back that said what we bitogers do: Air it up to a pressure that is 1 psi per 10 degrees expected future temperature drop in the next 2 months. For example, if you expect to drive in 20 degF weather in the next two months, and you're airing up the tires on a 60 degree day now, go ahead and put in +4 psi more in anticipation of the TomBrady-like drop in pressure that will happen naturally from the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back