Apparently I'm not allowed to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP that kinda sucks. Feel bad for ya.

I never what-so-ever go through any of this. My wife keeps an eye on the oil life monitor and how many miles are on the interval of her Civic and lets me know when its close. Usually plan a day and I change it. She'll either take my car or wait for her's to be done if she has errands to run. Shes also very good about saying "Hey my wipers are streaky" or "My brakes are making a weird noise, I think I have a caliper hanging up" or "Can you fill my squirts?". Never any grief.

Nor is there any issue when I need to overhaul a car or do 6 different preventative maintenance items to another vehicle I oversee. Simply put, it is what it is, I fix the cars.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Once she sees a bill from a BMW dealership that should change her mind.

grin2.gif
so true...

Post a picture of the wife and then we'll decide.

J/k.

You've yet to define what her objection is.

-you buying tools?
-the optic where you live of diy?
-your health/ability to get up and down?
-your ability to do the work?
-your temper if something doesn't go right?
-family/time commitment?
-finances/liability should something get messed up?
-availability of "free" dealer service?

There's always two sides to the story, and being armchair tough guy isn't necessarily the answer, nor is folding. Perhaps the full story and reasoning willl come out, though I suspect this is a drama post.

I'd ask her why she doesn't think you should. She may have a valid point. I'd address that issue(s) and then proceed to change the oil and do whatever maintenance I so desired.

I don't tell my wife how to do her jobs. She doesn't tell me how to do mine.

Now, we both accept objective criticism from one another as we want to do things easier and better. Sometimes I can learn a lot when I listen.

I have had the butt cheek part of my pants all chewed up but I still wear the pants....LOL

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Post a picture of the wife and then we'll decide.

J/k.

You've yet to define what her objection is.

-you buying tools?
-the optic where you live of diy?
-your health/ability to get up and down?
-your ability to do the work?
-your temper if something doesn't go right?
-family/time commitment?
-finances/liability should something get messed up?
-availability of "free" dealer service?

There's always two sides to the story, and being armchair tough guy isn't necessarily the answer, nor is folding. Perhaps the full story and reasoning willl come out, though I suspect this is a drama post.

It's a drama post because in the end it doesn't matter why but I suspect it's because I'm probably going to have to get rid of the car next year being that it'll have almost 60k miles on it and out of warranty. I'll just pay an Indy shop to change the plugs when they do an oil change this March. That'll help with resale.

From a cost perspective it doesn't pay for me to acquire multi-use tools if I'll be back at square one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira

OR would wifey like it if hubby disappeared to a distant garage once in a while so the shopping cart boy at the local supermarket can pop over....if you know what I mean...?
To the OP: See if she produces discount coupons for a far-away garage.

I read this wrong the first three times... I was like, ooooh, the hubby and the shopping cart boy at the local supermarket... oh, wait a minute, that's not what you meant!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I suspect it's because I'm probably going to have to get rid of the car next year being that it'll have almost 60k miles on it and out of warranty.

Huh? Repairs are that bad that it's cheaper to buy a $50k+ car? Is this thing in the dealer for repairs every couple of days?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I suspect it's because I'm probably going to have to get rid of the car next year being that it'll have almost 60k miles on it and out of warranty.

Huh? Repairs are that bad that it's cheaper to buy a $50k+ car? Is this thing in the dealer for repairs every couple of days?

I've only had one issue (frozen door mechanism in winter) with the car otherwise it has been rock solid. Here's the deal with the vast majority of BMW over 50k miles and this engine family specifically.

Almost all develop:
- a gasket leak at the valve cover and the oil filter housing. Heat causes the gasket material to harden. Some engines require a new valve cover as well because it's also plastic and my have deformed enough. (MEDIUM REPAIR)

- VVT (VANOS/Valvtronic) issues ranging from easy replacement of out of worn/dirty solenoids to less common full replacement of the unit itself. VANOS issues seem to be less frequent with shorter factory OCI of 10k miles. (EASY to NFW REPAIR)

-oil pan gasket leak (NFW REPAIR)

N55 Engine Specific:

- bearings of the belt tensioner fail. If not replaced the belt will slip and can get ingested into the crank by being drawn through the front main seal. (EASY REPAIR)

- cracked charge pipe due to age and heat cycling. (EASY REPAIR w/Lift)

- electric water pump and thermostat fail and then replacement of the associated hoses* (MEDIUM REPAIR w/Lift)

*BMW recommends replacement after 5 years, basically whenever you're underneath to replace the water pump and thermostat since these typically fail at some point between 50k miles - 100k miles (5+ years of ownership).

Last edited:
.... I was leasing so maintenance wasn't a thing .....

THIS is/was your problem.

If your OP and subsequent posts are real, ummm....you're in for a tough road ahead if you've been married for 15 years and haven't demonstrated any skills of being able to handle things by now.

Originally Posted by MCompact
My bride is grateful that I maintain our cars. YMMV.

+1

Mine is always very complimentary, appreciative and impressed when I am working on our vehicles. We have newer vehicles, too, filled with modern crap, not 80's models square body Chevys.

My wife has slowly realized that most males our age really don't own a screwdriver nor hammer and even worse, wouldn't know how to use them. I've been telling her that for years, she thought I was full of it, she believes it 100% now after paying a little bit of attention to some peers and what their husbands can't do....

Originally Posted by thooks
Originally Posted by MCompact
My bride is grateful that I maintain our cars. YMMV.

+1

Mine is always very complimentary, appreciative and impressed when I am working on our vehicles. We have newer vehicles, too, filled with modern crap, not 80's models square body Chevys.

My wife has slowly realized that most males our age really don't own a screwdriver nor hammer and even worse, wouldn't know how to use them. I've been telling her that for years, she thought I was full of it, she believes it 100% now after paying a little bit of attention to some peers and what their husbands can't do....

+2

My wife has loved my mechanical skills since the day we met. She now enjoys virtually trouble free driving no matter which vehicle she drives, and she has yet to spend any time on the side of the road waiting for the hook!

Originally Posted by thooks
.... I was leasing so maintenance wasn't a thing .....

THIS is/was your problem.

If your OP and subsequent posts are real, ummm....you're in for a tough road ahead if you've been married for 15 years and haven't demonstrated any skills of being able to handle things by now.

I've given up. The juice is simply no longer worth the squeeze.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by Bud
There is a term for what you suffer from. PW.
Right on brother. No huevos ese.

Depends on how hot she is
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
If a woman ever told me I couldn't use tools to fix stuff, I would prove her wrong by changing the locks.

Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back