Total 10w50 / What is your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
So I can claim my oil is API SN in a PDS without being licensed? Just as long as I don't print it on the label as well.

Ideally, the wording should reflect "suitable for" or "recommended for" to minimise ambiguity. Imperial Oil and Petro-Canada do it all the time, particularly when addressing obsolete diesel specifications.

Originally Posted by DS9

Yes - just as long as you don't print API logos (donut and starbust) on the label as well
+1
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by zeng
API certification is voluntary.
It's certification and listing on API list is not required when oil manufacturers are not displaying related API logos on the labels .......
which is typical in Euro specs oils.

Hence, I would say this Total Quartz Racing 10W50 IS an API SN as claimed.
Note that no API logos is displayed on its labels , thus not on API listings.

Voluntary yes but licensed nevertheless.
No, licensing is also voluntary and is not compulsory/required by API .

So I can claim my oil is API SN in a PDS without being licensed? Just as long as I don't print it on the label as well.
Short answer:Yes.....
and not as expounded by you in numerous other threads on this forum that confuses and misleads the readers.

Originally Posted by zeng
Short answer:Yes.....
and not as expounded by you in numerous other threads on this forum that confuses and misleads the readers.

The thing that confuses and misleads the readers are PDS that say or imply one thing but the reality is different. The oil in question is not API SN no matter what anyone says or wishes to believe. It is the opinion of the Total oil company that the oil is equivalent to an API SN oil, but it is not API licensed oil. The PDS should be worded to say that but instead it says different.

Btw,
Originally Posted by Ether
Total is French,nothing to do with Russia.

nobody in this thread said that it has something with Russia, except that VOA is from Oil.ru.

But (just for the record),

"Total in 2012 signed a deal with a Russian energy company Novatek to develop the LNG project on the Yamal Peninsula. Total through the deal gained access to the 800 million barrels of oil equivalent available in the South Tambey field in the arctic area and the resources associated with that field allow for the production of more than 15 million tons of LNG per year."

Total's CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-29699733

According wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christophe_de_Margerie

De Margerie had strong ties with many countries and in particular with Russia. The company's interests in the region was capitalizing and skirting the International sanctions during the 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine put into place by United States over the Ukrainian crises. De Margerie, the charismatic person aka "Big Mustache", was an astute strategist who recognized that the sanctions had placed the Total Group at a distinct advantage to the restrained international competitors. He down played the situation by saying that "it was not the first time there was a crisis between Europe and Russia". Russia's President Vladimir Putin paid tribute to de Margerie as a "true friend of our country" via telegram to the French President, Mr Hollande; further stating, de Margerie had "pioneered many of the major joint projects and laid the foundation for many years of fruitful co-operation between France and Russia in the energy sector"

According BBC:

Total is an important player in the Russian energy market and Mr de Margerie was a staunch defender of maintaining ties, despite Western sanctions against Moscow over its actions in Ukraine.

Total is one of the biggest foreign investors in Russia and is planning to double its output from the country by 2020.

It is working on the Yamal project, a $27bn joint venture to extract natural gas in north-west Siberia.

During his time at the helm of Total Mr de Margerie successfully defended the company against allegations of corruption around the UN oil-for-food programme in Iraq.

He maintained the company's investments in Burma and Iran despite US sanctions against those countries.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DS9
Btw,
Originally Posted by Ether
Total is French,nothing to do with Russia.

nobody in this thread said that it has something with Russia, except that VOA is from Oil.ru.

But (just for the record),

"Total in 2012 signed a deal with a Russian energy company Novatek to develop the LNG project on the Yamal Peninsula. Total through the deal gained access to the 800 million barrels of oil equivalent available in the South Tambey field in the arctic area and the resources associated with that field allow for the production of more than 15 million tons of LNG per year."

Total's CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-29699733

According wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christophe_de_Margerie

De Margerie had strong ties with many countries and in particular with Russia. The company's interests in the region was capitalizing and skirting the International sanctions during the 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine put into place by United States over the Ukrainian crises. De Margerie, the charismatic person aka "Big Mustache", was an astute strategist who recognized that the sanctions had placed the Total Group at a distinct advantage to the restrained international competitors. He down played the situation by saying that "it was not the first time there was a crisis between Europe and Russia". Russia's President Vladimir Putin paid tribute to de Margerie as a "true friend of our country" via telegram to the French President, Mr Hollande; further stating, de Margerie had "pioneered many of the major joint projects and laid the foundation for many years of fruitful co-operation between France and Russia in the energy sector"

According BBC:

Total is an important player in the Russian energy market and Mr de Margerie was a staunch defender of maintaining ties, despite Western sanctions against Moscow over its actions in Ukraine.

Total is one of the biggest foreign investors in Russia and is planning to double its output from the country by 2020.

It is working on the Yamal project, a $27bn joint venture to extract natural gas in north-west Siberia.

During his time at the helm of Total Mr de Margerie successfully defended the company against allegations of corruption around the UN oil-for-food programme in Iraq.

He maintained the company's investments in Burma and Iran despite US sanctions against those countries.

The day that i posted my response,there was a comment from someone who said that Total was Russian,this comment has since been removed.I was referring to that comment.

Thanks for the reply, I hope my comment is not too redundant (i didnt saw his comment).
Someone who was misinformed probably thought that Total was Russian cause of VOA in russian language.
33.gif

Anyway, now its clear.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back