Possible plumbing leak in 19 year old house...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Another possibility, is there any signs of settling or shifting of the slab?

No.

Simple errant nail can cause a plugged split and eventually a break in pipe.

Stuff happens, just need to trace it down and then get culprit.

Wish I had copper in my house...the CPVC in our last house was brittle and we had a joint blow apart, flooding the finished basement. That house was 19 years old at the time. Our new house has CPVC too, I asked about copper, the builder said it would cost a fortune and they would not be able to secure the house during construction to keep the copper from being stolen?!?

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
Wish I had copper in my house...the CPVC in our last house was brittle and we had a joint blow apart, flooding the finished basement. That house was 19 years old at the time. Our new house has CPVC too, I asked about copper, the builder said it would cost a fortune and they would not be able to secure the house during construction to keep the copper from being stolen?!?

Is CPVC the stuff that gets flaky from the inside and eventually fails at a young age?

Thanks for setting me straight on the 4 thicknesses, Scurvy
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by CincyDavid

Is CPVC the stuff that gets flaky from the inside and eventually fails at a young age?

CPVC is beige/offwhite and has an ugly tendency to get brittle, especially the hot water lines. The old house was FlowGuard Gold, the new house is a different brand, don't recall which one. I've heard unpleasant stories about PEX leaving bad tasting water so every choice has downsides.

FWIW: I just built a new home using PEX Type - A (Uponor is awesome stuff!). Loved the results! No issue with water taste, leaks, etc. I had all copper in my old home (22 years old) and could not detect any difference in water taste (same water system - HPUD). I also built on a crawl space (paid $1.4K extra over the standard slab+PEX combo) due to wanting to have FULL access to any and all water pipes over the years plus the crawl space flooring system is easier on the knees as the wife and I age.

Please check this stuff out for more info/education:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZX0aTvbEzo

https://www.uponor-usa.com/residential-plumbing/homeowner/pex-explained.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by Leo99
What is leaking? I've had 4 pin hole leaks in my copper water pipes in my 16 year old house. Copper pipe ain't what it used to be.

It's not normal but it's not uncommon.

A 16 year old house was built with copper pipes???

Yes, if I knew then what I know now, I'd have had them use PEX.

It ended up being a leak in the main water line running from the meter to the house. It was caused by roots from one of the bushes. New section put in and all is well. They had the system pressure tested, no slab leaks thankfully!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back