Can you tell a difference between a 305 and 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to look at a 91 Scottsdale tomorrow. the guy claims that before he bought it 12 years ago it had a newer motor put in it there is no proof of this however the VIN code says it had a 305 with a 5-speed manual from the factory the owner claims that the previous owner said it was a 350. I really don't care which engine has but I would like to be sure which one it has. What can I do to tell which is which is there an easy way?

If you can see the casting mark on the front of the block and look it up, that's just about it without tearing it apart.

They have different block casting numbers due to bore size. Some of the blocks have 5.0L or 5.7L on the side of the block, which makes it super easy.

I assume you have a smart phone. When you go look at it, find the casting # on the block and google it if it doesn't have the displacement in Litres on the side. That'll give you your answer.

Do a 0-60 and post the time
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Do a 0-60 and post the time
laugh.gif

Do we have that much time?
lol.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
. Some of the blocks have 5.0L or 5.7L on the side of the block, which makes it super easy..

Driver's side, down near the oil filter area (but on top of it), on the bellhousing flange of the block.

Negotiate on the price and meet him half way. On the motor; if you cant tell for sure and he isnt leaving you a rest assured feeling just call it a 327.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Negotiate on the price and meet him half way. On the motor; if you cant tell for sure and he isnt leaving you a rest assured feeling just call it a 327.

A 327 in a '91?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Marco620

A 327 in a '91?
confused2.gif

I think it was a joke...

I can tell instantly even from a distance if it's a bare block. The little 3 7/8 bore stands out like a sore thumb. We had a guy once years ago put 350 heads on a 305 thinking it was going to give him a power increase. His compression was so low the car couldn't get out of it's own way.

On the other hand, I stroked a 305 once into a 334. That thing was great. Too bad that Australian cylinder head company went out of business. They made really good iron heads for 305s and cheap.

I can't really remember but you may be able to tell by the balancer or under one of the valve covers... Been a long time. When I was a kid I worked in an engine shop in a marina. We used to get deliveries of junkyard engines to tear down and utilize the blocks, cranks, rods and head castings into marine engines. I remember being able to pick a 305 or 350 out of the pile before putting a tool to it but I can't remember how.

The 305 will smell different than the 350 when running. Just fire it up and go back to where the tailpipes are, and take a good whiff.

Does it smell like disappointment? Then it's a 305.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
The 305 will smell different than the 350 when running. Just fire it up and go back to where the tailpipes are, and take a good whiff.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

That had me laughing while in the latrine.

I will never understand how it was that Chrysler and Ford were able to make a 5-liter class V8 that was actually pretty fun, while the Chevrolet 305 was universally the dog's dog. I guess their philosophy is that if you don't buy 350 or 5.7 or greater then you pretty much deserve a Beggar's engines.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I will never understand how it was that Chrysler and Ford were able to make a 5-liter class V8 that was actually pretty fun, while the Chevrolet 305 was universally the dog's dog. I guess their philosophy is that if you don't buy 350 or 5.7 or greater then you pretty much deserve a Beggar's engines.

Well the 302W from Ford still had the 4.00" bore so you had better breathing.

Holden did the 308 (4.00 bore, 3.062" stroke)...had some of those, and quite fun.

But they did a 3.625" bore 3.062" stroke 253 that had all the economy of the 308, with the power of the 202 straight six...unfortunately owned a few of those...they sound as good as the 308.

WRT the 305, I GET what they were trying to do...my neighbour shoved one in a Volvo, and it was a good thing....but I'd never go looking for one.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Don't forget the Chevy DZ 302, a world class performance engine for it's time.

Yet never became common
21.gif
IIRC, wasn't the 302 Chevy a 283 crank in a 327 block? Of course its Ford competition was the BOSS 302, which was a big 'ol set of deep-breathing Cleveland heads on a Windsor block. Also as rare as hens teeth nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back