04 Pontiac GP AC Blower or AC Heat Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI,
Came out a few week and I had no AC or heat. Long story short I slapped the side of the controller in the dash and it came on.
That worked for a week and sometimes now it's 2-3 slaps. Seems to be getting harder to get on.
'
Do I need a Blower or the AC Heat Controller?

Thanks

Last edited:
The blower IIRC is on the right side under the dash, remove a few screws and push pins and you will see it. the next time it does it tap the motor, if it springs to life you probably need a motor (easy job) if not tap the blower motor resistor same deal, comes to life you probably need a new one. If nothing happens chances are you need the controller.
That's the simple way, the correct way would be to use a DVOM and or power probe.

Edit: Video.

Last edited:
If it's the blower that isn't coming on, my guess is that the wiring harness connector to the blower motor resistor is melted. As the blower motor ages it will draw more amperage, overloading the blower motor resistor wiring connections, the resistance will cause heat at these connections and will melt the plastic on the connector and the connection will become poor enough to eventually cause the blower motor to stop working all together.
Unplug and check the wiring harness to the blower motor resistor and see what it looks like. If it's melted I suggest replacing the wiring harness (it just splices in with butt connectors), the blower motor resistor and blower motor. Use dielectric grease on the electrical connections.

I just did this same fix on an 05 Trailblazer.

055AEA64-1E65-4A04-BC8F-0B5B02CA7815.jpeg

2F456C2F-E481-4C35-B8BE-8F4B6831C72D.jpeg

Thanks. Got in there today. A tiny tap on the blower starts it. Guess I'll get one and start there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clarkflower
Thanks. Got in there today. A tiny tap on the blower starts it. Guess I'll get one and start there.

Did you look at the blower motor resistor connector?

No...I looked and don't see it. There is a plug below the blower with 2 wires going in and 2 going out to the blower but it does not have 6 wires like you show. The wires into that plug go high into the dash and out of sight.

Add> I did read in many cases if the resistor is gone or bad you will only have one fan speed. My fan works on all speeds.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Since I will need to replace the car in 13 months to keep Ubering, I decided to get a blower at the pick and pull for 18 bucks. It works perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back