How often has the oil filter gasket stuck to your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my own vehicles never. Once on my mom's van with a Tearolater that did in fact tear. I still always check though out of fear.

Originally Posted by mazdamonky
On my own vehicles never. Once on my mom's van with a Tearolater that did in fact tear. I still always check though out of fear.
Gasket-o-sticker!

Originally Posted by The Critic
When I was using Fram Ultra filters, every time. On wix filters, occasionally.

On OE filters, never.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Never. I swipe the gasket with the fresh motor oil. Mostly Fram filters.

I now use mostly fram ultras. Never had this happen , I wipe used oil on the gasket of each new filter.

Never in 45 years of doing my own car maintenance. I've always followed the directions of applying a thin coat of motor oil on the filter gasket before installing the filter.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
Never in 45 years of doing my own car maintenance. I've always followed the directions of applying a thin coat of motor oil on the filter gasket before installing the filter.

Ditto....over 41 years and not once.

Never had one stick, ever. I've used all manner of OEM and aftermarket. Even cheap jobbers my family members had put on by other mechanics never stuck when I got my hands on them.

I think the Asian-OEM ones that use the p-ring style gasket are probably less likely to stick than aftermarket square cut gaskets.

ONCE. When I was wet behind the ears. I missed it, installed new filter, started the car, oil went everywhere. Not only did it not happen again, I check every time.

Every time the gasket has stuck on 4 different Chevys using AC filters, and oiling the gasket doesn't help. Started using Wix for that reason, and none have stuck yet. Not a big deal as long as you always remember to check the filter base to make sure it came off.

Mine did it once too often. An oil change place that we have trusted for years had a tech who did not see the gasket had stuck. He put a new filter on over the gasket. It leak checked fine, at idle. Then when on the road, when oil pressure rose, it blew out the gap between the two gaskets and pumped all the oil out. The engine sounded horrible. I was shocked at how long it ran on no oil, though. It could have done a Slick 50 commercial. Anyway, 12 grand and a Ford reman engine later, everything is fine. Fortunately, the oil change shop took full responsibility and their insurance paid for it. We still go to them and people think we're crazy. BUT, I can tell you when our van pulls up, the owner does the change himself. He's a good dude and I was sorry to see this happen to him.

Never have on my personal vehicles, but I came close on a hydraulic pump at work. The filter had been on there forever and took a 2' pipe wrench to get off. Lucky for me it fell off when I was wiping off the area. THAT would have been a serious mess!

Never. Back when I used canister filters, I oiled the gasket before installation.
If it does stick on the base, you'll find it if you check that the base is clean.
If it sticks and you fail to do that, you should still catch the extraneous gasket if you start the engine to check for leaks when finished.

In 47 years of doing oil changes, never. I always wipe down the filter mount and oil the new filter. But I had one scare when I looked at the old filter, after I installed the new one it's gasket was missing. Luckily I found it in the drain pan. Many years ago, 30-40, I used the Fram Orange cans and I found quite a few where the gasket would fall off the new filter, thankfully before it was installed.

Whimsey

I use the Toyota OEM oil filter which has a seal design that prevents the seal from coming loose. Very good design and very good oil filter. Some will disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back