Craftsman Mower: Stock Up on Parts Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by gathermewool
As has been posted here, Sears has declared Ch. 11 Bankruptcy. I know that they no longer own the brand Craftsman, but I'm not sure how their potential failure would impact parts availability.

I just bought a new 28" mower and am wondering if I should stock up on blades, belts, air filters, etc. now. Any input is appreciated!

Note: I would use my remaining SYWR points to buy these things, so they would be "free"-to-me.

Why would you want to panic buy like that? It's either Husqvarna or MTD made and parts are plentiful.

I wouldn't consider using points to stock up a panic buy. Besides, I'm asking you guys your opinion, before I make a decision.

I appreciate all of the comments, including yours, bud!

Sears never manufactured anything, they are just a retail seller. Craftsman is just a brand name (as are Kenmore, DieHard, etc, etc). Everything they have sold in their stores has been manufactured by other companies. These companies have often manufactured and sold virtually identical products under their own and other names. As long as there is a demand for the parts, the manufacturers will continue to offer them. For example, even though Tecumseh engine manufacturing is out of business (for many years virtually all Craftsman OPE products used Tecumseh engines), parts for their engines are still being manufactured and sold by CPC/LCT, and, Roper/AYP/Electrolux and MTD are still in business and are still manufacturing parts for the OPE products that they manufactured for Sears.
IMO, one part of Sears that will survive (probably purchased by another company) is the Sears repair and parts division, it is very profitable.

Thanks for all of the input, guys. I had a feeling I would be OK, but it's nice to get some backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back