Harley cooling issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sportster has been somewhat of a concern lately. During the summer I have seen temps peak at 190 in traffic, and 195 after 20 miles at 4k rpm = awesome. Now that the weather is cooling and on some nights after my 40 mile commute I come to my destination and the oil temp is at 170-180 degrees. This is in the oil tank, and I did verify my thermometer to be reading correctly. This thing has no oil cooler, no cooling fans, or anything else, do believe it has a "stage 1" tune and I run a bit under a quart extra oil capacity thanks a 1515 Napa Gold.
At what point do I worry about the oil temp being too low? I don't want to mess with the AF mixture to avoid screwing the thing up, I'm getting 43

I would not add or cover over anything.
Those temps are fine. The cylinder temps are much higher while in operation.
The oil is for lubrication and heat removal. It is doing its job. The last thing you want is to overheat the engine.
Please do NOT block air flow around the cylinders.

Agree, maybe run the Rotella 15W40 in cooler months and switch to a NAPA 1348 oil filter, same specs as the 1515 oil filter. Less oil should warm up more.

I seriously doubt you'll ever run the risk of a Harley running too cool under any conditions assuming it's not a short trip scenario (which yours aren't). I would also expect the oil temp in your tank is significantly cooler that what it is at the heads and other parts of the motor. Sounds like you don't have any concerns about cold start temps, but there again I highly doubt you'll have trouble unless you're running a straight 50 or 60.

I run 40 miles each way to school twice a week, and have at least 5 trips/wk at which the temps are hanging around 100F.
As far as cold starts, I'm already topping off with Maxlife HDEO ( about a quart every 2-3k). Going below freezing on the bike is not planned, the I-5 speed limit is 70
whistle.gif
, and icy bridges...

As long as the oil tank temps are 150, or more your oil is fine. It won't start to "cook" until you get into the 250+ range. If it won't get up to 100*, then I'd start looking at a lower vis oil like xW-40 or something.

Even in a Cali winter, 15W-40 was too noisy for me. Too much clatter and such. 20W-50 year round worked fine for me. But I think it might be a bit much in really cold areas in winter ...

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
There is exactly no problem at all here. Don't do anything at all.

^^^^ EXACTLY ^^^^ (no pun intended)

Your engine is fine, temps are fine, nothing to be concerned about.

If you continue to ride in cold weather where daytime highs only reach the 50s you could go to a 15/40 or 10/40 if your losing sleep over this with no harm done.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

If you continue to ride in cold weather where daytime highs only reach the 50s you could go to a 15/40 or 10/40 if your losing sleep over this with no harm done.

This, except I'd stay 15w-40, not 10w. What is the actual temps you are riding in? You say near 100, but if your driving on the I-5 your on the 'colder' side of the state.If your doing both, the 100+ and then the colder side, all on the same oil cycle, then leave the 20w-50 in there. Personally, I'd run a different oil, as your consumption seems alittle high to me.

Just warm it up for a bit in cooler temperatures. Oil tempatures are going to vary a lot on air cooled motors.The biggest thing is starting it up and hammering on the motor and oil flow isn't good when it's cold. I think you're fine.

No hammering on a carburated engine when it's cold, it can't
smile.gif

I do run a 15w40, and first couple years I had it, I ran it year round. I find it to run significantly quieter, like no valvetrain noise at all with an HDEO vs 20w50, tried VR1 and Super 76 (now Shield). In the coldest weather it actually gets the least warm up, I leave the house at about 4 am and the stupid thing is too noisy. It is a downhill mile though, so I don't gove it too much thought.
I just want to make sure I boil condensation off, cooking the oil seems to be impossible, heck, my water cooled R1 runs 30 degrees hotter in traffic ( thank God for cooling fans).

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by alarmguy

This, except I'd stay 15w-40, not 10w. What is the actual temps you are riding in? You say near 100, but if your driving on the I-5 your on the 'colder' side of the state.If your doing both, the 100+ and then the colder side, all on the same oil cycle, then leave the 20w-50 in there. Personally, I'd run a different oil, as your consumption seems alittle high to me.

Consumption has to be from dead valve seals. The exhaust stems were wet when I looked at them through exhaust ports. It did sit 6 or 7 years in a shed before I got it. Does smoke a lot less after I soaked the pistons, but still enough for the eyes to water
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Originally Posted by gman2304
Probably just me, but my Harley seems to run better in cool weather.

Denser air
smile.gif

Correct, everything runs better, also noticeable in power boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back