TGMO 0W-20, 10,300 mi, 282,000 on 2012 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I need to cut back on miles between changes. I put in a new air filter at last oil change and cleaned up well in the box, I didn't notice anything out of place but there seems to be a problem I'm missing. This couldn't be from coolant? Glad to see iron is down but why?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/tmp/2931.png

UOA.PNG

laugh.gif
Holy Cow!
You're another one putting on a ton of miles/yr. Way to go!
Looks good but, better check something(air filter gasket/seal, TB, intake whatever?) as the Silicon(Si) is increasing. OR,
Have you been replacing VC, IM, gaskets/rtv etc.?

Last edited:
schuylkill, good choice on the Fram Ultra. Its built well and filters great, silicone ADBV is better than the nitrile ones on some other filters too.
Potassium & sodium, which mostly can come from coolant leaks, are not too high at all. I see they are up a bit. Just still within the margin of error on these gas chromatography tests for small amounts.
Silicon is up some and I think is just due to the fact that new air filters actually don't filter as well when new. They need to get a thin layer of "dust cake" they call it, to get efficiency up some. If silicone was up to around 100 ppm or so you could begin to blame a leak around the gasket sealing, yet thats not the case here.

Iron wear is low which indicates not many abrasives are running around in the oil. Looks great. Most Toyota engines average around ~1 ppm iron per thousand miles like what you got.

Did you happen to notice if the new 0w20 Toyota oil you used looked black or gray? Just asking because I just put in Eneos high-moly oil, even higher moly ppm than the Toyota oil, and it was light amber; ..thought it was strange it wasn't gray.

I'd not take it much past 10k miles. The 1.8 TBN at the end is not a problem because there was still some left, maybe good for 2k extra miles if you pushed it. It says Toyota is right recommending 10k mile oil changes.

The si is most likely sealants used, I had high numbers in my Santa Fe that didn't change when I changed the air intake setup to a Donaldson air filter.

Maybe all that extra Boron is cleaning out some deposits and getting the old Si "stuck in the nooks and crannies" out & back into suspension

My buddy at work gets the oil for me from his brother in law who is a service manager at a Toyota dealership and it is a good deal even after I tip him. It works at well and I'm happy with the results. I find it amazing that I haven't needed to add any oil between changes knock on wood. Hopefully I make it thru the winter and more without needing a head gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back