schaefferoil or Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Well... which oil will fit me better? Im not oil guru like some of you guys on here. I definitely like to get an advice before i decide it myself.

Ive came down to two oil that i like to use for my 2018 Camaro SS (DI). Current fill is Valvoline MST 5w40 and car is more use for 2 or 3 times a week but some days its just sitting out side driveway for days. Some days very short trips, long trips and i do see redline most of time when there is a safe open road... I really do like to keep one brand for long time. Which im planning to run E85 later as well and some more power out of it.

I do trust Amsoil. Many UOA shows all positives and many high performance shops or owners using them as great results. But when car takes 10 qts, its not cheap.

schaefferoil is something im not familiar with. But i do remember seeing this oil here and there in othwr forums and some performance shop site. Not much negative reviews on them from my research. Looks like i can buy them thru Amazon for $8.28/qt. So cheaper than Amsoil.

Manual says 5w30 or 5w40 Dexos. Filter im using is WIX, which will continue to use and will like to keep 4k~5k OCI (depend on UOA later but thats plan for now) or 6 months.

Here is data sheet:
https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/247-9003D-td.pdf

And Scaeffer's euro spec mid saps Dexos2 Compliant

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/288-8008-td.pdf

Amsoil SS

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

Last edited:
Boht are great oils and you will never see a difference in anything between the brands for the life of the engine.

Based on a short OCI and the 10qt capacity, id use cheaper oil, like Mobil.. but I dont see anything wrong with the two oils you mentionned. I just dont think you will see the return on investment on the price differential. But..as its your ride use what you prefer. Sounds like you have decided on Schaeffer, so I say go for that.

Any namebrand oil that meets your specs will be fine.
Why would you even consider running e85 gas?

Either but you can get Amsoil for less than that. Also Pennzoil is good stuff its PUP will compete with either it's just as hard to get also.

2018? Warranty? Use exactly what the manual says. Are the oils your looking at Dexos certified? Personally, I don't think you need an exotic oil for your use.

I have always seen Schaeffers as a Group 3 oil company, when they can't even give you a definitive answer to their Viscosity @ 100C "10.00-12.00", come on guys!!! Nothing special, I would go Amsoil......Group 4

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Either but you can get Amsoil for less than that. Also Pennzoil is good stuff its PUP will compete with either it's just as hard to get also.

I think you can buy it on wally's website and they'll ship it to the store for free, or to home free if you buy enough...

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh

I think you can buy it on wally's website and they'll ship it to the store for free, or to home free if you buy enough...

Wally's has it in stock for shipping or store PU. A $35 order gets it shipped to the house free. IIRC there's a rebate going on now too.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Wally's has it in stock for shipping or store PU. A $35 order gets it shipped to the house free. IIRC there's a rebate going on now too.

Yeah I just checked, I'm pretty surprised it's less than $25 a jug less $10 for the rebate...

If your not doing extended drains why waste the money on Amsoil SS use XL(still good for 12k OCI's or once a year). Either oil would be fine at those intervals so would any other flavor at your local wally world.

Originally Posted by Mainia
I have always seen Schaeffers as a Group 3 oil company, when they can't even give you a definitive answer to their Viscosity @ 100C "10.00-12.00", come on guys!!! Nothing special, I would go Amsoil......Group 4

Amsoil good stuff but it has a good slug of group III.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Yeah I just checked, I'm pretty surprised it's less than $25 a jug less $10 for the rebate...

Yes order two jugs and they'll ship it free!
thumbsup2.gif

Your owner's manual specifies a dexos oil, neither the Shaeffer nor the Amsoil is dexos licensed. There are oils at Walmart for a lot less money than either of the two you are proposing that are actual dexos licensed oils, why not use one of them?

A brand new car like that, use what the manual actually specifies rather than what some blender thinks is "better" or "equal".

Originally Posted by Dallas69
Any namebrand oil that meets your specs will be fine.
Why would you even consider running e85 gas?

More powa! Lol

All of my previous cars heavily modified. I just like that way. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back