Apparently I'm not allowed to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
change the oil or perform any maintenance on my vehicle out of fear that I will screw something up.

Being married for over 10 yrs and an adult of sufficient age I'm somewhat perplexed at this demand and unsure of how I should proceed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
change the oil or perform any maintenance on my vehicle out of fear that I will screw something up.

Being married for over 10 yrs and an adult of sufficient age I'm somewhat perplexed at this demand and unsure of how I should proceed.

This is exactly the problem these days. If your wife didn't see her dad wrenching on vehicles, she doesn't want you doing it. She also figures if you forget to put the toilet seat down, you'll forget to screw the oil plug back in. You have to tell her there are different levels of consciousness involved here.

Last edited:
I have been married 28 years just wait. A few years ago I when I finished fixing the Horses fencing and I was fairly tired. The wife looked at me and said would you like some coffee. I said yes! She handed me the bank deposit and said go to the bank they have coffee there.

If there is something to be fixed or done that doesn't absolutely require an advanced education to perform.....

I'll would like to do it myself even if that means it doesn't turn out absolutely perfect the first time.

Offer to take a car maintenance class at a local community college, if you can get privileges to work on your own vehicle.

Or,
Buy a non-runner lawnmower and make it into a good running one. They are pretty cheap to learn on.

Is it possible that she knows you better than we do? Is it your abilities she questions or does she consider that kind of work beneath you? Maybe she worries about what the neighbors think of you doing such manual labor?

Last edited:
Maybe have a friend come over on the first oil change and she'll feel more comfortable that someone is looking over your shoulder to prevent mistakes. Then, give her an envelope containing cash, representing how much money you saved.
smile.gif

My ex-wife recognized my ability to fix or build nearly anything, and complimented me on it often.....

She still divorced me, anyway.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

If its your vehicle, you should proceed with whatever you want to.

If it isn't (say a joint purchase) then some power of veto is implicit.

If that isn't tolerable, you could perhaps get yourself out of that situation, by a buyout, sale, or purchase of something else for your own use.

(In case it isn't obvious, I'm not married.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by John_K
Show her some of the Iffy Lube screw up vuideos

Better yet. Take it to a BMW dealership and let them screw it up.

Does your wife do anything she was not trained to do?

If so, perhaps you shold tell her you will seek the services of a proffesional ; -)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back