0W20 Required for Jeep Auto Stop/Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbor

Site Donor 2024
Wife's 2018 Jeep GC with a PentaStar V6 is coming up on it's first oil change, and 0W20 is recommended in the manual for the auto stop/start. Any problem with using syn 5W20?

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
Is 0W20 really recommended in the manual specifically for the Start/Stop

My question also...the Pentastar was originally specified for 5w-30 and hasn't been changed. In MI I would be using 0w-30.

OP for your original question, 5w-20 should be fine unless you get down below -25F.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by harbor
Wife's 2018 Jeep GC with a PentaStar V6 is coming up on it's first oil change, and 0W20 is recommended in the manual for the auto stop/start. Any problem with using syn 5W20?

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 3.6L Engine
Mopar SAE 0W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equiva-
lent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This
engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle
fuel economy.

Where does it mention auto stop/start?

"5W-30 (3.6 V6, 2011-2012 models)
5W-20 (3.6 V6, 2013-2015 models)
MOPAR® API Certified SAE 5W-20 / 5w-30 engine oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Group LLC Material Standard MS-6395

Mopar p/n 04761838AB, MSRP $3.20/quart

0W-20 (3.6 V6, 2016-up models)"

I got the ESS requirement reference from an owners forum. Jeep started ESS in 2016 when they spec'd 0W20. My wife drives nothing but GC's and I've always used 5W30 & 20 in her PentaStars, but am now wondering if 0W20 is the way to go.
I am personally not an ESS fan, and always override it when I drive her Jeep.

Why not 0w20 it should be you first pic if looking for a 20 weight oil lately really liking Zepro high moly 0w20

I would use 0W-20 esp in winter, 5W-20 or 5W-30 should be fine for summer up there. Zepro 0w-20 (either formula) would be a good choice due to the moly, but not sure it meets MS-6395.

Originally Posted by harbor
I got the ESS requirement reference from an owners forum. Jeep started ESS in 2016 when they spec'd 0W20. My wife drives nothing but GC's and I've always used 5W30 & 20 in her PentaStars, but am now wondering if 0W20 is the way to go.
I am personally not an ESS fan, and always override it when I drive her Jeep.

So the bottom line is that it is not "required" by the manufacturer as the thread title stated. The whole thread is based on some dood posting to another board.

What others have said about temperature is correct. Unless you are well below 0F there will be no substantive difference between a 5W and a 0W. In fact, with some oils the 0W-XX can be thicker than the 5W-XX counterpart until those very cold temperatures. My old BMW sitting outside in northern Wisconsin may see a difference at -25F or lower but until then it makes no difference. At those temperatures the viscosity is so massively high that there's no way it could affect the operation of that system.

I would stick with 0w20 because of the climate you live in (winter) and because this engine is equipped with an engine oil to coolant heat exchanger.

I know with my Pentastar the oil stays cold for a long time before getting anywhere near operating temperature even with the coolant at full temperature and I'm using 5w20 in a non stop-go version.

Last edited:
You may be smart with keeping stop-start disabled...

"Internal combustion engine cold-start efficiency: A review of the problem, causes and potential solutions
Andrew Roberts ⇑ , Richard Brooks, Philip Shipway
Division of Materials, Mechanics and Structures, University of Nottingham, University Park, United Kingdom"

"Whilst stop start technology is becoming popular with manu-
facturers, Bent et al. [11] concluded that it does not mitigate the
need for improved thermal management in the warm-up phase
of an engine. When fully warm, stop start technology is an
attractive option but during cold-start, there still exists a need to
achieve optimum lubrication and combustion conditions as soon
as possible, making stop start technology less attractive in this
phase of engine operation."

I have no experience with these so I'll just ask. How do they work?

If you start your car when it's below 0*F and stop for whatever reason while the engine is still cold, will the engine turn off or is it smart enough to know to get to temperature first?

[Linked Image]

Just go out, buy Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 (probably with 70% PAO, and the rest esters and Visom), and send in the receipts for 2 $10 rebates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back