Getting tired of driving an 18 year old Cavalier around every day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! I have owned a few of them hence Blkstanger. I used mine mainly as commuters. And they make great Road Trip cars. I used to pull down 25 mpg on trips.

I have a Y2K GT auto with 117,000 miles and it is very dependable. The drivetrain is solid on these and I run 5W-30 NAPA synthetic in mine with an FL820S filter. I don't buy into the thin oil recommendation that Ford suggests with these engines.

The one thing I'm not liking so far is the massive gap between 4th and 5th gear. At 60 mph I'm at almost 3,000 rpm in 4th and drops down to 1,500 in 5th. Shift much earlier than that and it feels like I'm lugging the engine. The thing really feels like it could use an extra gear between the two, though I hear 6-speed swaps are a thing. Maybe some day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Anduril
The one thing I'm not liking so far is the massive gap between 4th and 5th gear. At 60 mph I'm at almost 3,000 rpm in 4th and drops down to 1,500 in 5th. Shift much earlier than that and it feels like I'm lugging the engine. The thing really feels like it could use an extra gear between the two, though I hear 6-speed swaps are a thing. Maybe some day.

You could change out the factory rear gears. In those years it may have been something like 3.27. A 3.55 or 3.73 would pep things up. But there would be a fuel economy hit. I kind of like the longer 5th gear. In my 08 Bullitt on highway runs I would easily get high 20s. And that was with 3.73s. I'm not sure what gear my 95 has, but even that returns mid 20s with the old 5.0.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
I have a Y2K GT auto with 117,000 miles and it is very dependable. The drivetrain is solid on these and I run 5W-30 NAPA synthetic in mine with an FL820S filter. I don't buy into the thin oil recommendation that Ford suggests with these engines.

30 grade isn't thin?

Oil cap says 5w-20. It's not getting 5w-20.
banana2.gif

Oil cap says 5w-20. It's not getting 5w-20.

Thank you. I've owned multiple 4.6 Fords and they always get 5w-30

Well, I just ordered a new oil filter housing gasket because mine's leaking so I guess I'll have to decide what oil I want to use soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back