How often has the oil filter gasket stuck to your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my recent oil change on my wife's Sebring I realized I cranked the filter on too tight. When I finally got the filter off, the gasket was stuck on the car. This is actually a first that I can remember. (yes, I always lube the filter with new oil before install)

How about you?

When I was using Fram Ultra filters, every time. On wix filters, occasionally.

On OE filters, never.

A few times over the years but not very often and I always caught it. The only car I can ever remember having an oil filter problem with was a 57 Buick 3 hole Century with a vertical cartridge filter and thin O ring, it whizzed all over the place inc yours truly.

Probably after over 100+ oil changes starting from the late 80s, I would say once where I helped a friend change the oil on a 84 ford bronco ii and later he came by saying there's a lot of dripping coming from the filter area. And probably once when I tightened the filter with a wrench so much that the next time I couldn't loosen it and had a mechanic finish my aborted double screwdriver removal method. No more filter wrenches since then.

I always wipe the area the gasket rests on, so I doubt I've seen it happen more than 2-3 times....

I have NEVER threaded a new filter onto an old gasket

Never on one that I installed. When I worked at Sears Auto I would see a few a week. I only missed one, and that made itself apparent immediately when I started the engine.

I've had this happen once for sure over the past forty years as I recall.
This was with the '99 Accord LX sedan we had way back when ($16.8K brand new, 5spd VTEC, totaled by a son who fell asleep and ran it into the back of a rig at around 175K while on his way home from a late turn at work. Airbags deployed, Accord was toast and son was fine, thankfully).
I had no idea why there was oil leaking out around the filter base, so I just cranked the filter tighter until it stopped.
This had the effect of cutting and forcing out the retained gasket, as I discovered at the next drain.
Made it a habit ever since to ensure that the base gasket came off with the removed filter.

Lots of times with Frams,once with a Motorcraft,never with a Nissan or Wix. I've noticed the Frams' gaskets are always rough and dried out fresh from the box. Every other filter I've used the gasket is always soft and conditioned.

The Toyota filters from the 80's were famous for sticking. I remember a few oil change places buying engines

Properly lubricated when installed and not overtightened the answer is never. Both with the solid gaskets and the ribbed ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back