Shell oils with PurePlus technology: any feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, in the end I'd go with that, the oil that gives you most confidence daily from what you observe. If the objective data is inconclusive, the immeasureable becomes very important.

You could try the champion again to disqualify it as the source of noise?

Well, noise in order of loudness, from worst to quiet: GM-> Champion-> Mann.

But then, even with the GM filter, which was outright horrible at the beginning of the oci, the engine became quiet to the end of the oci - just after we had the engine REALLY work for a few hours. Coincidence or not?

It's all a bit strange.

I'm sure the different add packs of the oils (aw chemistry of the old oil vs the new oil) will have a lot of things going on in the first oci after switching oils. Likely after running hot you accellerated the changeover?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: kschachn
All of which gets you what?

That warm fuzzy feeling in your belly, of course.
smile.gif

I get mine by eating dust bunnies

Tried the next GTL oil: Shell Helix Ultra 0w-30 AV-L. Why? because the hydro noise came back. At the end of the last interval with the SHU 0w-40, the hydros would only be silent when the oil was REALLY hot. I chose the AV-L for its very low kV40 - and it worked. Some hydro noise after cold startup, but they fall silent very quickly.

Article on my blog:
https://turboseize.wordpress.com/2017/12...sches-motoroel/

Bitog thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ltra_0w-30_AV-L

One thing seems noteworthy: after only 9500km, VI dropped down to 194. (Virgin VI of 204 according to data sheet!)
Otherwise, oil seemed to work reasonably well.

Last edited:
Currently running Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5w30 in my Wife's Dacia Duster 1.5DCi.

The car does mainly sub 5 mile journeys. I didn't want a diesel but we couldn't find a 4WD petrol model within a reasonable distance. I try to take it out at least once a fortnight and spend an hour on the motorway with it to get the oil up to temperature and let the DPF regenerate. I also only use premium BP Ultimate diesel.

The engine has only done 7,500miles. The factory fill was in till 5,500miles/1 year. The oil is dark, but not as dark as I'd usually expect from a diesel. Quite translucent.

I don't have anything else to compare it to. I was going to run M1 ESP 5w30 but the SHU Professional AG 5w30 has Dexos2 approval and is over a third cheaper at £22 for 5 litres. Cheapest I can get M1 ESP 5w30 is £36 for 5 litres.

The car will be getting it's next oil change in May, I'll run it for 6 months and get a UOA.

I was going to bulk buy old Mobil1 0w40 which is in stock in my local costco at £25/5litre to go in my LR Defender and Mothers Suzuki Jimmny. Instead I may try Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 A3/B4, sounds like it could be a really solid oil and available for £17/5 litres here in the UK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back