CAB LIGHTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i getting a 2017 Nissan Frontier. i think it would be cool to have cab lights. my dad put them on a truck and had them come on with the ignition. seamed to work good.

You're referring to the roof of the cab, right?

I think they're cool too but I'd never consider drilling holes through my new truck's roof.

As they say all the time, "That's just me". Do your own thing.

If you decide to do it do a first class job. Unless you drive your stuff into the dirt and value doesn't matter that is a non-reversible mod that will have a $ effect some time in the future. Could add or subtract value.

They're not really necessary unless DOT requires them (truck or trailer needs to be over 80" wide). When I had the cab changed on my F-450 I actually drilled the service body & put them up there-I didn't want to hassle with the headliner, possible leaks, etc. Some of the new LED ones are pretty nice though-make SURE you measure & are happy with where they're going on your roof before you start drilling!

well they are called clearance lights. so you can be seen better. my friend that was a truck driver said that they are not required even on big trucks. BUT if a bulb burns out you can get a ticket.

I installed them on my 98 Chevy K1500 back in 2003. I used a factory wiring harness that I pulled out of a junkyard truck and used an aftermarket light kit that had the same design lights for that body style of truck. I measured all of the holes and where they were in relation to the windshield and the sides of the roof. Drilling that first hole was nerve racking but once I did the first one, there was no turning back.
[Linked Image]

I've seen a few people put stock style ones on GMT400 Suburbans and I love how it looks. I do think they are a bit pointless though.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I've seen a few people put stock style ones on GMT400 Suburbans and I love how it looks. I do think they are a bit pointless though.

They are probably pointless but I like how they look and how they are lit up at night. I guess I've always had a thing for clearance lights. When I was a kid, we had a 65 GMC school bus that my step-dad converted to a camper and for some reason I always liked how the clearance lights looked at night.

I've done two installs. There's not a lot of metal up there. OEM style usually have large holes with expanding clips to pull them in securely. Aftermarket kits come with the clips, but how do you drill square holes? I don't... so I just used metal screws - but they can't hold much tension so you have to be careful. The biggest challenge here comes with sealing them up to prevent leaks, especially since the roof will be curved and most of the lights are flat, so it relies on gasket compression. Both times I needed clear caulk to make it work. the other thing is to pull the headliner first and make sure you can even mount them. Some trucks have separate rollover metal there which makes mounting and wire running tricky.

The other thing I ran into is that even some $150 kits are junk within. Quality is all over the place. Seems like many of the plastic shells are decent, but the electronics are cheap.

Some of the cheaper kits are really cheap, like 1-2mm open seams where rain gets in.

You'd have to find just the right kit to look right on a midsize truck. The lights may look very out of place on a smaller roof. I'm not sure I could do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back