Matching the old brick mortar joints ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to do some tuck pointing on 60 year old brick siding before winter.

In the past I've purchased regular pre-mixed mortar at the big box stores but it seems to dry to a lighter gray color than the old mortar joints and is quite noticeable. From doing research, it appears that this may be due to some combo of weathering of the old mortar and different sand colors. Does anyone know of any different colored mix that can be purchased (at the bid box stores) or should I just look around and find some tan colored sand to add to the store's mix ? I don't need a lot of product; only about 25 linear feet.

I would think adding sand will weaken the mix. Look for some type of water soluble dye. Orange and green together make brown. Add until it looks right and it should not weaken the mix. Even a bit of brown acrylic paint would work.

Mixing in some sanded TILE GROUT of the right color to your mortar pre-mix might get you a closer match; will take some experimenting and picking the right Tile Grout color .....

You should mix your own mortar from Type N and coloured sand, or add the dye. I'd rather have control over both the colour and the grayness. I know buying an entire bag can be a waste, but that's the cost of colour matching mortar joints.

I'd be wary about adulterants that could screw up the mix, but that grout is actually a good idea.

I know what you are talking about OP, old mortar is almost a tan colour. Never seen anyone worried about matching it. I want my mortar gray so I can see how much cement is in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back