Motul Gear 300 75W-90 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the standard non-limited slip version. Born on date of 02/28/2018.

Crazy VI of 222!

Technical Data Sheet link

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love this stuff. Using it in my diff right now.

Is there a good 75W-90 with better cold viscometrics? I haven't seen one yet...

It's the best thing I found for the somewhat-finicky-in-cold-weather Subaru transaxles, and obviously works great in the front & rear diffs on the 4EAT cars as well.

I'd use it in any open diff I own or service.

If there was a US made lubricant with specs and results as good as Gear 300 I'd be happy to buy it. Nothing has come close to the performance and feel of the Motul in the several Subaru transaxles I've used it in.

Originally Posted by Popsy
You might want to use the LS version for that.

This one has a much higher VI, while still claiming to be unshearable.

Originally Posted by ant

Yes it does -- before you add anything to it.

If it were possible to retain that killer VI with an off-the-shelf FM additive, without any downsides, why on earth would Motul not have done that with the LS version?

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Originally Posted by ant

If it were possible to retain that killer VI with an off-the-shelf FM additive, without any downsides, why on earth would Motul not have done that with the LS version?

Motul would have to answer that, but perhaps the cost would be a factor.

Do friction modifiers degrade the base oil making it more susceptible to shearing? The LS version also claims to be unshearable.

Last edited:
Would this gear oil provide the same amount of protection for an open rear differential compared with a singular GL5 synthetic like Amsoil or Redline 75w90? Wondering if there is any trade offs with a gear oil that has dual rating of GL4/GL5 if you only need for differential?

Originally Posted by ant
Originally Posted by d00df00d
Originally Posted by ant

Motul would have to answer that, but perhaps the cost would be a factor.

Of course. Emphasis on "perhaps," which is the point. Maybe it's something simple, like Motul is cutting corners with their "unshearable" top-of-the-line gear oils. Maybe, as in that's only one of many available guesses. Another is that if you add FM to the non-LS version, you'll just end up with the same specs as the LS version (or worse). We don't know, and probably can't know.

Originally Posted by ant
Do friction modifiers degrade the base oil making it more susceptible to shearing? The LS version also claims to be unshearable.

They apparently increase oxidation rates quite a bit. Not sure if that necessarily translates to shearing but it's clearly undesirable. That's another reason I used the non-LS version. Even though the diff is technically a limited-slip type, it's a type that doesn't need the extra FM, so I figured it'd be better to have the higher VI, better cold performance, and lower oxidation rates.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass
Would this gear oil provide the same amount of protection for an open rear differential compared with a singular GL5 synthetic like Amsoil or Redline 75w90? Wondering if there is any trade offs with a gear oil that has dual rating of GL4/GL5 if you only need for differential?

I don't know, but I bet the reason Motul also puts GL-4 on the label is that they want people to feel comfortable using this oil in a GL-4 application. Anything that says GL-5 performs at the GL-5 level and exceeds the lower GL levels.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass

I think it has an additional GL-4 rating is because it has a friction modifier in it suitable for synchronized manual transmissions.

This is actually the oil I was thinking of putting into the gearboxes of my rotary cutter. It has 4 gearboxes total. Since I run it about 18% over speed, I figured this is the best protection money can buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back