Vietnam Vet, 70, Sentenced to 7 Years for Buying M14 Over 30 Years Ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scratched off serial number, good grief, what was he thinking? Run away from that.

Looks like an M20 behind him.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I hope he gets pardoned. My question is why was the ATF looking for that gun?

Who ratted him out.

Because its fox news so they are leaving out a LOT of information I am betting plus playing the veteran card.

Such as "They were using marijuana, which authorities found and added another criminal charge."

So this was not about just the gun, but also drug charges as well. So 87 months for an illegal automatic weapon, with the serial number had been scratched out none the less, and drug charges is probably on the lower end of the scale for sentencing. You can thank "tough on crime" conservative minimum sentences for this.

Originally Posted by Jimzz

Because its fox news so they are leaving out a LOT of information I am betting plus playing the veteran card.

Such as "They were using marijuana, which authorities found and added another criminal charge."

So this was not about just the gun, but also drug charges as well. So 87 months for an illegal automatic weapon, with the serial number had been scratched out none the less, and drug charges is probably on the lower end of the scale for sentencing. You can thank "tough on crime" conservative minimum sentences for this.

No, we can thank liberal, anti-gun, activist city government bureaucrats, politicians, judges, and prosecutors for this. They decided to make an example out of this guy. This was a hit job.

7 years in federal prison for a 70-year-old, for a non-violent crime???

PREPOSTEROUS!

These liberals are mad and fired up because of Trump, Kavanaugh, etc, and they see this guy a wealthy, older, white male conservative gun enthusiast who is against everything they stand for, and they decided to, quite literally, make a federal case out of this, and crucify him.

Without going back and looking at the United States Code, my recollection is that mere possession of an automatic weapon or a weapon with a defaced serial number is illegal - it's disinformation to say this "crime" happened years ago when it was acquired. It was a crime every second he possessed it.

I'm not familiar with the federal sentencing guideline for this type of offense, and he probably got some downward reductions if he cooperated, etc., which it seems like he did since he plead guilty.

Simultaneous possession of drugs and firearms is a HUGE offense in my state; class Y felony, 10-40 or life, type of thing, same as Murder 1. No sense of humor about it - it's a club to make people plea. Who wants to take a chance on life?

Originally Posted by Win
Simultaneous possession of drugs and firearms is a HUGE offense in my state; class Y felony, 10-40 or life, type of thing, same as Murder 1. No sense of humor about it - it's a club to make people plea. Who wants to take a chance on life?

The simultaneous possession of drugs and firearms clause is targeting drug dealers/traffickers. You know that.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Stupid? Yes. Just punishment? No way. People who have intentionally harmed other human beings have gotten much less.

I suspect federal min sentencing laws are at play here.

This is a typical Fox News story(Veteran, white guy, guns, harsh prison sentence) to incite their base and followers leaving out a few other key facts. I concur seems harsh but reality is our criminal system is not fair. Many people get stupid sentences but the readership is not interested. this person just looks like them.

My guess he sadly lacked money which buys justice and prosecution levels in the US.

He and his wife were smoking marijuana big freaking deal.

He should have not bought the gun I agree. Seven years though is just freaking ridiculous. Some times a judge has no choice because that could be the minimum sentence under what ever law. I do believe that extenuating circumstances should be considered.

Originally Posted by BigD1
He and his wife were smoking marijuana big freaking deal.

He should have not bought the gun I agree. Seven years though is just freaking ridiculous. Some times a judge has no choice because that could be the minimum sentence under what ever law. I do believe that extenuating circumstances should be considered.

And, when you take into consideration the current political climate, and the power the liberals have, with the bullhorn that the mainstream media gives them, the decision-makers (a judge, in this case) are afraid to take a stand, even if they wanted to go easy on the guy.

Originally Posted by Jimzz

Your obvious political bias aside, the ATF do not raid homes for a couple of ounces of marijuana that a cancer patient was smoking.

Yes, the guy was an idiot.

I am a Vietnam vet, 71 years old, understand the "connection" to the M14 and being a gun collector myself...I bought
an M1A. Same thing just not illegal. A rifle I can shoot, display, use as I wish without fear.

His sentence was far from the maximum for "possession of an unregistered NFA weapon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back