Goodyear Assurance All Season = JUNK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Factory fit for my wife's '17 Rogue. They seem fine and smooth, but when they are due for replacement, there will be lots to choose from. I have got a new set of Bridgestone snows on alloys waiting for the clod weather. Costco has the best deals bar none.

GY DuraTracs were perfect on my Colorado
GY WeatherReadys have been awesome so far on my son's Escape.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
I've never had a set of Goodyear tires on any car I've owned that I've been happy with. It's a shame.

+1

I recently put some GY Assurance ComforTred Touring on my moms 15 CRV. Rattled like crazy, DT road force balanced them, they showed within spec. Ended up taking them off in favor of some Continentals.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Originally Posted by CapriRacer
I just want to comment on this one thing:

Originally Posted by 14Accent
………. For those that don't know, a general rule of thumb is that under 10 lbs of road force, most people won't feel a thing. Under 5 lbs is fantastic. …….

Uh ….. Mmmm ……. Not exactly.

Ya' see, the larger the vehicle, the less sensitive it is - and large SUV's and light duty pickups (F-150's, Chevy 1500's) can tolerate a lot more.

For small car, that 10# thing is a good number, but for a full sized car, they can tolerate stuff in the teens, and large SUV's, the low 20's.

Now there are exceptions and the one I am most familiar with was the Buicks and Cadillacs from the mid 2000's where nothing seemed to work. GM even had us screen tires - about 4 out of 100 produced - to get tires that wouldn't vibrate!

Correct, SUV's are fine up to around 20 pounds, however this was on an XC70 and they're just like the GM's you speak of, they NEED good tires of they WILL shake. Every time.

Yup, there are certainly vehicles out there that require low R1H value tires. In the case of those GM cars I mentioned, what was needed was extraordinary tires. The best I could figure out was that the chassis had a resonance at one of the frequencies that tires vibrate. Why they didn't pick this up BEFORE the vehicle was released for production, or devised a fix while it was in production is a story about the way the OLD GM used to work - the design group never talked to the development group and wouldn't take responsibility for their screwups, while the development guys didn't feel it was their responsibility to fix design screwups.

I still have 2 of the Goodyear assurances on our 2016 Nissan Quest that were on it when we bought the van used 1.5yrs ago. They are shot now at ~64K miles and will get tossed when I have the snow tires put on. This van uses 225/65-16 and is not easy on tires given the size and weight and use we put it through. I wouldn't buy them unless they were closer to ~$100/ea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HorseThief
Originally Posted by mclasser
It's interesting that cop cars (at least the old Crown Vics) primarily ran GY tires. I'd think troopers would be ticked off when their office for 8-10 hrs/day would vibrate like crazy.

Plenty of cops, departments, and municipalities had more than enough reason to dislike GY - Eagle RS-As were ditched in favor of Firestone firehawks.

The CHP, SFPD and a few other PDs prefer the Firestone Firehawk Pursuit, it's a newer design unlike the 20-year old Goodyear and cheaper too.

Goodyear is hit or miss IMO - they can make a good tire but their quality standards are held higher at the OEM supply level.

I've never had any Goodyear tires I've like either....you'd think with a name like that, they'd have decent tires...

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I also had GY Ultra Grip Ice WRT winter tires a few years ago, they were unusual in having pretty good highway manners at speed for a winter tire but were probably more adequate than great in tough winter driving. I will say that their dry braking was much better than the Nokian R2 SUVs I have now, those were pretty terrifying when we got a freak warmish winter day here.

Those were my only GY tires and they performed amazing in deep snow for having such good-mannered dry pavement characteristics.

I have used and enjoyed GY tires over the years. My Corvette has always had them - perfect results. My Sierra Denali pickup came with Eagle LS and were perfect, as were the next 2 sets. Then I recently went with the Eagle Sports and LOVE them so much I also put a set on my CTS. I have MT's on the old CJ7 that always get me where I need on or off road. However, the GY SRA's on my new RAM 1500 Limited are complete garbage! I plan on swapping them out as soon as I can. The have no grip in the rain, mediocre grip in the dry and don't stay balanced. I HATE these tires.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I have used and enjoyed GY tires over the years. My Corvette has always had them - perfect results. My Sierra Denali pickup came with Eagle LS and were perfect, as were the next 2 sets. Then I recently went with the Eagle Sports and LOVE them so much I also put a set on my CTS. I have MT's on the old CJ7 that always get me where I need on or off road. However, the GY SRA's on my new RAM 1500 Limited are complete garbage! I plan on swapping them out as soon as I can. The have no grip in the rain, mediocre grip in the dry and don't stay balanced. I HATE these tires.

This is good to hear that not every G/Y tire is a bad tire. I too know others who have had good success with G/Y tires and in fact, love the SRA's. This could be vehicle specific!

I have had G/Y tires(no longer) since the 70's and have had them on as many as 4 vehicles all at one time and none were good past 20K-25K miles without giving me issues. Not that they wore out at those miles(although some did), they just gave me problems around that time frame. Some gave me issues as early as 10ish K miles.

In 40 years, I've probably had a dozen sets(4) of G/Y tires over my lifetime. Maybe as many as 15 sets(all of 4). None were G/Ys entry level/economy line of tires. All were their mid to premium line of tires and all were appropriate for the vehicles that they were installed on, whether the tires & vehicles were of the sporty type, family sedan, truck/suv etc.

I do believe that G/Y does make some very good truck tires and high performance tires however, it don't think that their normal "everyday" tires are up to some of the competition in terms of their quality control for the money their asking.

I'm sure that some say the same about Michelin!
laugh.gif

I did have ONE set of GY assurance tires on a minivan that were one of my top 3 tire experiences. It was the large 'V' shaped tread... can't recall the exact model line, but they were excellent. Quiet, grippy, very balanced, very smooth, and were good for quiet serene driving or throwing it around. And I had a used set of eagles on a gen 1 miata that were never any trouble. the rest have been on vehicles equipped with them with high noise and very poor rain performance, even with good tread. I tend to lean towards bridgestone and cooper.

Originally Posted by meep
I did have ONE set of GY assurance tires on a minivan that were one of my top 3 tire experiences. It was the large 'V' shaped tread... can't recall the exact model line, but they were excellent. Quiet, grippy, very balanced, very smooth, and were good for quiet serene driving or throwing it around. And I had a used set of eagles on a gen 1 miata that were never any trouble. the rest have been on vehicles equipped with them with high noise and very poor rain performance, even with good tread. I tend to lean towards bridgestone and cooper.

Goodyear TripleTred?

Mostly dissatisfied with Goodyear's - though no complaints about initial build quality - just poorly suited to my driving style and in my opinion just average wet traction even when new and diminishing badly with age even with still decent tread (meaning its because ofthe rubber type).

Major exception were a very fresh set of TripleTread which were on my most recent used car purchase, I thought these were excellent vin the dry and the rain and I even used them during the first winter and found the snow traction to be at least as good as semi-worn Winter tire. The road feel was also better despite the fact they were too big (225/60R16 vs 215/60R16). However they are extremely expensive, really hard investment to accept if you are driving a car with a life expectancy under 5 years, I certainly couldn't buy them new again. Also while I don't really care about noise, I suppose it would be an objection for the typical consumer.

Obviously from their track experience they MUST be capable of making high performance tires, and maybe some of the UHP products reflect that. But their choices for most passenger car applications and sizes do not reflect that but rather focus on a pedestrian product with good tread life and comfort (and not always delivering on those either).

Their success as a supplier to large fleets is probably attributable to the ability to fill huge orders on time and with a low defect rate rather than superior on-road performance characteristics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back