Fresh Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Born on date of the oil is 1/25/2018 and it's made in France.

Specs from Mobil to compare against:
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
72.8 @ 40ºC
12.1 @ 100ºC
Viscosity Index
Sulphated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150 ºC (ASTM D4683)
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97)
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92)
Density @ 15.6 ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Russian test results from a number of years back:
[Linked Image]

My goal is to use this in a 2018 Audi A4 with the 2.0L TFSI direct injection turbo engine. Not only does this meet the VW 504 spec, but it supposedly has a very low NOACK of 5.6% according to the Russian test so hopefully it'll help to keep my valves clean. TBN is super low though so don't know how long this will last using Colorado 92 Premium (not sure where our sulfur levels are at now...)
Cost is not much of a concern and I am looking for a good synthetic that meets the VW 502 or 504/507 spec AND has a super low NOACK. Been also considering some of the Ravenol blends due to their low evaporation specs but I also hear their consistency from lot to lot isn't as good as it should be. This is the wife's car with typical distances of only a few miles at a time since her work is close. She does at least have a heavier foot.
smile.gif

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Boy, the TBN is quite low .
More disturbingly, the TAN is nearly identical within the VOA.
This leaves me wondering about the testing methodology.

I would not want to make any decisions based on this data.

Is this available at the local parts stores or mail order only? I have two VW diesels that require the 504/507 spec. I am using the Red Line 5W30 euro right now mostly due to its pour point and the 10k oci recommended. Didn't trust the factory fill class lll for that 10k and relatively warm pour point. I have also been looking at the Ravenol for future changes seeing that it has the VW approvals and Red Line doesn't. It will be interesting to see the used reports.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Boy, the TBN is quite low .
More disturbingly, the TAN is nearly identical within the VOA.
This leaves me wondering about the testing methodology.

Imp, from what I've read, esters have a "disturbingly" high TAN for what conventional oil people are used to. I doubt there's anything wrong with the testing methods, or the oil itself. We know this is a low-SAPS "ESP" oil so it will be low-TBN, and likely has higher levels of esters which will not show up in a UOA other than a high starting TAN. I wouldn't use it though, but that's just my preference.

SubieRubyRoo, esters, yes. I just looked at the MSDS for this, and it has very little PAO (3%), and about 40% GroupIII, which leaves some room, around 35%, for maybe POE (doesn't show on an MSDS).
Originally Posted by sloinker
I have also been looking at the Ravenol for future changes seeing that it has the VW approvals and Red Line doesn't. It will be interesting to see the used reports.
If you like premium oil, Ravenol is quality. Good choice Ravenol

How will it help keep your valves clean when the oil evaporation is a minimal compared to the blow by gas products and oil mist ?

Originally Posted by CT8
How will it help keep your valves clean when the oil evaporation is a minimal compared to the blow by gas products and oil mist ?

Where would the "oil mist" be coming from? I would think valve stem seal leakage would be the worst culprit followed by higher evaporation? I'm not too concerned about what gets by the rings as that is just introduced in to the combustion chamber below the valves. Although avoiding LSPI is always nice...

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
SubieRubyRoo, esters, yes. I just looked at the MSDS for this, and it has very little PAO (3%), and about 40% GroupIII, which leaves some room, around 35%, for maybe POE (doesn't show on an MSDS).

The density at 0.850 seems to be a little high to be mostly Group III as I understand it? Maybe the rest of it is esters....

Originally Posted by Dude-Man

The density at 0.850 seems to be a little high to be mostly Group III as I understand it? Maybe the rest of it is esters....

I believe a density of ~ 0.90 is a strong indicator of an ester based formula. Redline does not publish their product density, but RLI does.

All of the RLI oils have a density of 0.89 or 0.90.

Originally Posted by Dude-Man
MSDS said its about 40% GroupIII. Notably, M1 ESP 5w30 has a similar base oil type mix as M1 ESP Formula 0w40 dexos2 for Corvettes & diesels. From MSDS clues, looks like its about 30% POE, since I don't know what else the missing MSDS % could be otherwise, all there is to build it from is GroupIII, GroupIII+, PAO, & POE, although of course there are some variety of esters they could be sprinkling in there in small amounts on top of the POE. (They wouldn't use PAG would they?)

As an aside, I notice M1 Racing 0w30 is all PAO, with room for only a small amount of ester if any, yet you'd think they would put POE in that one for high temperature oxidation stability. PAO is good enough for that it appears, at least for short racing runs apparentlly. ... Therefore it may be Mobil believes they must use some POE in their ESP lines to pass all the dexos2 & German diesel performance tests in the area of long term oxidation stability.

I wouldn't use this oil for 10k in anything. I use it in my MB CDI but don't go over 7k if that.

This is what I'm running in my Corvette and I'll probably stick with it for a while, even when the 0w40 ESP arrives on the shelves here. I'm going to follow the OLM and so I doubt any of my OCIs will be higher than about 7-8k, so I should be safe.

Originally Posted by phatcatz
Here is why I use the PF64:

A) top mounted bypass valve - which means the oil does not sweep by the filter media when it does into bypass mode
B) bypass valve pressure is 22PSI rather than 12 for the NAPA

The NAPA Gold 100290 is the new cross reference for the PF64 and it has the 22psi bypass. That's what I have on my Corvette right now. I trust the NAPA Gold a lot more than the AC Delco, we've already seen one PF64 on here with torn media but I don't recall ever seeing a NAPA Gold or Fram Ultra with that happening.

Actually I would prefer that GM put the bypass valve back into the block but we have to work with what we are given...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back