Canada - Marijuana now legal

Originally Posted by fisher83
I've never even tried it but if they ever make a medicine that works for migraines without the high I would give that a shot. I've tried plenty of prescription meds from my neurologist with very minimal success. Aside from that, legalization would not really change my lack of interest.

I believe there is a hemp extract called "CBD" that, in contrast to THC, relieves pain without the high. I have two friends who have very problematic back pain and are, for obvious reasons, extremely reluctant to be prescribed opioids, who rave about CBD. I am unsure how they administer it.

Originally Posted by fisher83
I've never even tried it but if they ever make a medicine that works for migraines without the high I would give that a shot. I've tried plenty of prescription meds from my neurologist with very minimal success. Aside from that, legalization would not really change my lack of interest.
Do some research on it, there's tons of strains of it that are grown for specific things, and they have some with very little THC.

Originally Posted by Shannow

Here in Oz, there's roadside cheek swabs...if it's present in your cheek swab, then you are automatically driving "impaired", I disagree, but that's the test. They'll close down the highway here every couple of years and test every driver on that arterial road. In a reportable accident (not fender bender), it's mandatory D and A tests.

Yep this is the part your sister Commonwealth is struggling with. The current Chief of Police put it out there that no officer is allowed to consume 28! days prior to reporting for duty, based on information about the general metabolic rate of cannabinoids. While I'm sure the Chief was just covering his bases (with no intention to realistically enforce), the Police Union is up in arms. Clearly they too are cannabis users, and now the regulatory and punitive table has kind of turned on them. Gave me a chuckle, I'll tell you that!

So impairment is the thing they're still trying to sort out. We're already seeing a backlash to the THC metabolite tests (swabs, blood) with many (rightfully) arguing that impairment is the issue, not the presence of cannabinoid metabolites. I'm quite fine with roadside impairment tests based on real-time physical acuity, rather than chemical proxies used to support assumptions.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
Yep this is the part your sister Commonwealth is struggling with. The current Chief of Police put it out there that no officer is allowed to consume 28! days prior to reporting for duty, based on information about the general metabolic rate of cannabinoids. While I'm sure the Chief was just covering his bases (with no intention to realistically enforce), the Police Union is up in arms. Clearly they too are cannabis users, and now the regulatory and punitive table has kind of turned on them. Gave me a chuckle, I'll tell you that!

So impairment is the thing they're still trying to sort out. We're already seeing a backlash to the THC metabolite tests (swabs, blood) with many (rightfully) arguing that impairment is the issue, not the presence of cannabinoid metabolites. I'm quite fine with roadside impairment tests based on real-time physical acuity, rather than chemical proxies used to support assumptions.

that's the kicker...the metabolites in the system versus the here and now impairment.

Interesting to look at some of the mines, and the manner in which they test their employees, and applying a cynical eye to it.

The underground workers get a cheek swab. The office workers urine tests.

One tests for impairment, the other for lifestyle choices. Which crew is in a more risky position ? which crew brings in the cash on a day to day basis.

re impairment...I started work on a Tuesday at 5AM, and finished getting that turbine ready 9AM Wednesday, no break.

I felt fine, but have NEVER been so impaired as a driver...my internal safety dialogue was taking place 30-40 metres after the potential incident.

[Linked Image]

Cheech and Chong are on their way to Canada!
--- Role models for us all.

Originally Posted by cjcride
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
The only thing the State cares about is the millions in revenue a month. The rest that's your problem.

I think for the most part you are correct.

Better the revenue goes to your government than to organized crime

There's a difference? :)

Originally Posted by tig1
Sorry to hear this for a great country like Canada.

Prohibition doesn't work, regulation does.

Originally Posted by tig1
Sorry to hear this for a great country like Canada.

Prohibition doesn't work, regulation does.

Originally Posted by riff1006
The only thing the State cares about is the millions in revenue a month. The rest that's your problem.

Exactly what I was thinking lol

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Legalizing pot is on the ballot here in Michigan this year, and I've been debating with myself on how to vote.

I'm a libertarian kind of guy, and believe that people should be free to do pretty much as they want, as long as they don't hurt anybody and are responsible for their behavior. Yes, cigarettes and booze are legal, but I don't use either. Maybe pot is no worse than ethanol and tobacco products, so why not legalize it? I won't start using it because the government says it's OK. Let the gummint tax the heck out of it and get some revenue. (Then there will be the rogue pot users that will refuse to pay taxes on it, and still insist on getting it illegally.) People can't be forced into "moral" behavior by forbidding something. That was conclusively demonstrated during Prohibition, where people who were just social drinkers were forced into being criminals going to speakeasies, and organized crime made big money by providing illegal liquor.

On the other hand, from a practical point of view, how do you get a job if you smoke pot? I have never gotten a job where I didn't have to pass a drug screen, so doesn't the same apply for pot users? So if you can't get a job, wouldn't that mean you go on welfare, Medicaid, food stamps, and the whole nine yards of social dependency? I would be curious to find out what has happened to the number of people on welfare after pot has been legalized in their states. So maybe that extra money the states make from taxing pot is eaten up by having more people on welfare, unable to get jobs.

No taxes can be collected on the 4 plants you are allowed to grow at your residence and harvest for personal use.

I think Canada with nationalized legality will give some valuable and applicable data in evaluating this question in the US. Not my thing but nor is hard liquor, tobacco or gambling.

No taxes can be collected on the 4 plants you are allowed to grow at your residence and harvest for personal use. [/quote]

Dang guess I'll have to grow the other 4 at my sisters place...

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by PeterPolyol

that's the kicker...the metabolites in the system versus the here and now impairment.

Interesting to look at some of the mines, and the manner in which they test their employees, and applying a cynical eye to it.

The underground workers get a cheek swab. The office workers urine tests.

One tests for impairment, the other for lifestyle choices. Which crew is in a more risky position ? which crew brings in the cash on a day to day basis.

Then you have "fully functioning pot heads" just like "fully functioning drunks"......I've worked with both types over the years & it's amazing how high/drunk these people can be & not affect their performance.

Originally Posted by riff1006

LOL that may be the best line of the year
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by PimTac

It might depend on where you live. In my area, Tacoma, the craziness of drivers has definitely gone up. A lot of whacked out people in stores etc.

Almost daily I encounter this behavior.

I've only been to the Tacoma area twice as a day/overnight pit-stop on roadtrips, but I think I rather take the crazies in Chicago over the crazies in Tacoma. (I also rather take chicago traffic over any sort of traffic in the SeaTac area.)

Tacoma is famous for the Ash Street Shootout. Run a search using that term.

In short, a bunch of Army Rangers from Fort Lewis challenged the gangbangers on the Hilltop which was a war zone. For a short while it was indeed a war. The police stayed away.

As for traffic I just spent two hours traveling about 35 miles on the freeway. It was jammed all the way.

Now wherever you go in Canada, expect those blank stares. It's pretty common here. Employees are like drones.

No wonder oil changes at the dealership are a nightmare.

Back