Shell V-Power NITRO VS "Cheaper" fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw an interesting video this morning showing the difference between Shell V-Power VS no name brand fuel. He tested how long the fuel last, how much carbon it cleans, the temperature in the fuel, the color of the flame and a few others. I thought it was interesting and I was actually surprised at the results in some of the test. I hope you enjoy it too. Looks like he just posted it two days ago so a new video.

I have no explanation for it but when I use Shell fuel I see a measurable fuel economy decrease. I prefer fuels from Chevron, BP, and Texaco if choosing a top-tier rating.

Originally Posted by FowVay
I have no explanation for it but when I use Shell fuel I see a measurable fuel economy decrease. I prefer fuels from Chevron, BP, and Texaco if choosing a top-tier rating.

We can't explain it but my friend has a new Colorado with the baby Duramax and noticed that fuel brand makes a big difference. He never had this experience with his F-550 7.3L Powerstroke or gas vehicles.

I'm wondering if the after-treatment systems in newer diesels are more sensitive to certain additives in certain brands of diesel?

For me personally I just buy the cheapest "top tier" gas. Costco, Arco, etc. Occasionally I will get gas at Safeway or elsewhere and I've never noticed a difference in MPG. Once recently I went to a run down gas station in the middle of nowhere and I noticed the car didn't run as smooth. I put in some cheap O'Reilly brand octane booster and gas treatment and that helped, but MPG on that tank still sufffered.

Last edited:
He is good and I do like his other videos(been watching for some time). However, every video(especially this one) needs to be looked at subjectively. Here's what I mean.

According to SHELL, V-Power NITRO is 91 octane and is some states, it's 93 octane. He doesn't mention which...or I missed it.

He compares the V-Power NITRO to cheap(er) "any brand" 87 octane gasoline. He doesn't mention the brand.

How about comparing 91(or 93) octane Shell V-Power NITRO to "any brand" 91(or 93) octane gas?

OR

How about comparing V-Power NITRO to Shell 87 or 89 octane gas?

After watching the video in its entirety, I do agree with his final conclusion.

Last edited:
I have no explanation for it but when I use Shell fuel I see a measurable fuel economy decrease.

Same here. I drive the same roads everyday and Shell gas gives me less hand-calculated MPG across all my cars.

I basically stick to BJ's gas now and throw in a bottle of Techron or Regane every year to clean things up.

Originally Posted by Datarock
I saw an interesting video this morning showing the difference between Shell V-Power VS no name brand fuel. He tested how long the fuel last, how much carbon it cleans, the temperature in the fuel, the color of the flame and a few others. I thought it was interesting and I was actually surprised at the results in some of the test. I hope you enjoy it too. Looks like he just posted it two days ago so a new video.

Hmmm.. I fail to see how his bench tests are in any way indicative of how these fuels would perform over thousands of miles in a high compression gasoline engine.

That being said vs Costco 93 my vehicle idles smoother when using Shell-VP (93) but I experience a small drop in mpgs. My only explanation is that by Shell VP by volume contains more additives and consequently contains less BTU.

Last edited:
In Canada Shell advertises that the V-Power fuel has no ethanol content. The same volume of ethanol packs less energy than gasoline which means in theory, it takes more to deliver the same power which should translate to higher MPG.

I wish the pumps I get gas from (that state up to 10% ethanol is used) only had 5% ethanol. Of course the pump states "up to" and maybe I'm really getting 5%. With 15% ethanol now approved, I wonder where that will settle in at, at the pump. I'd prefer 0% naturally, but good luck with that!
I agree, his videos are very entertaining and have swayed some of my purchases.

The two Shelll stations near me have the worst fuel in the area.

The one over in Derry on the hill off RT28-S used to be good.

I see some flakey unbranded haulers truck delivering gasoline at night sometimes.

The Branded ones seem to deliver during the day.

Right now im using Shell regular ( they have a good batch - it even smells good - (yes I sniff it)

with a little Mobil premium tossed in.

The Exxon near me was seelng good stuff for a while then BOOM. garbage.

IMHO, the trick to getting the best gas is to find a station (if possible, with Top-Tier gas) that is always busy, and thus is always moving product. This way, you're most likely to get the freshest gas possible.

I typically go to the Sam's Club that's on my way home from work. They are always busy and have lots of pumps, so the product is frequently being refreshed. They're inexpensive too, which is a bonus.

Originally Posted by mclasser
I have no explanation for it but when I use Shell fuel I see a measurable fuel economy decrease.

Same here. I drive the same roads everyday and Shell gas gives me less hand-calculated MPG across all my cars.

I basically stick to BJ's gas now and throw in a bottle of Techron or Regane every year to clean things up.

Same here- I no longer use it. Valero is king here.
A gas-electric hybrid car is a great indicator of fuel quality.

I doubt you could ever determine mpg in a big truck- a hybrid however, you can.

Even here in Eastern Europe, Bulgaria, Shell V-power Racing does sink my mpg, so I guess the additive pack is quite large and similar worldwide. It also costs 30c more per liter/ quart. Your average octane booster is much cheaper per tank. OTOH car runs better with V-power Racing - acceleration is better, I would say markedly so. No other premium fuel here or in the neighboring countries makes the car quicker.

I used to have a Charger with the 3.5l, only engine I've ever had that actually performed differently based on gas. Every time I used BP I'd take a hit to fuel economy. No idea why, but something about BP it just didn't like as much.

Never experienced this with other brands or other engines.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
He compares the V-Power NITRO to cheap(er) "any brand" 87 octane gasoline. He doesn't mention the brand.

At one point in the video, it mentioned in an on-screen caption that the "no-name" gas was from Casey's.

My personal preference is Chevron too. I have no scientific evidence, either way. But, I always use top tier fuel. Impossible to get ethanol free fuel where I dwell. I use soy ultra at times as an UCL.

Originally Posted by Onetor
My personal preference is Chevron too. I have no scientific evidence, either way. But, I always use top tier fuel. Impossible to get ethanol free fuel where I dwell. I use soy ultra at times as an UCL.

What is it in your UC that isn't getting L and needs you to add it?

You guys taking the mpg hit from Shell are you using E10 87?

I don't have a lot of choices for TT here, Shell, Phillips 66, Shamrock, Cenex and Sinclair. I've been using Shell because my wife knows the owners wife but I might have to venture off and try one of the other ones.

We have one of the highest gas prices in the nation so it's Costco Premium or Hele mid-grade for us. Both brands are Top-Tier fuels. Hele is Hawaiian for move or go and is owned by Par Petroleum of Houston, TX along with all former Tesoro gas stations and the Tesoro Refinery at Kapolei.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back