VW "Leatherette" and DSG transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Zee09
What revision was that do you know? Thanks!

I think there was further one after that due to 0W30 thing.

Sounds like a fuel economy measure until they got scared of the 0w20 on a heavy weight turbo 4?
After the 0w30 I guess we will again be updated to 0w40. Too much drama

Sounds like a fuel economy measure
Yup. There is this note in the manual:

Using oil viscosity grade other than 0W-30 may cause vehicle emissions and fuel consumption to increase slightly. Only use other oils in case of emergency.

Using oil viscosity grade other than 0W-30 may cause vehicle emissions and fuel consumption to increase slightly. Only use other oils in case of emergency.

Fantastic! You just answered the mystery!!!
Thanks!

Fantastic! You just answered the mystery!!!
Thanks!

I do not see any significant FE addition here. VW502.00 0W30 s not going to be FE oil as HTHS is above 3.5.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I do not see any significant FE addition here. VW502.00 0W30 s not going to be FE oil as HTHS is above 3.5.
Agreed.

I drove a new Atlas yesterday for about 30 minutes
2.0T SE W/Tech
I preferred it- was very peppy to use a word I hate-lol

BUT...…………….…… It would be nice if I could tow and for that I most likely need the 3.6L
The 3.6 is already outfitted for that and I need around a minimum 3500 lbs.

But I have an old turd towing truck and I really like the 2.0T and I found some killer deals-no recalls or TSB's on them either as I checked
the VINS. I also like the oil change ease of the 2L. Plus the 2L price is great. And of course no 4Motion on the 2L

I drove a new Atlas yesterday for about 30 minutes
2.0T SE W/Tech
I preferred it- was very peppy to use a word I hate-lol

BUT...…………….…… It would be nice if I could tow and for that I most likely need the 3.6L
The 3.6 is already outfitted for that and I need around a minimum 3500 lbs.

But I have an old turd towing truck and I really like the 2.0T and I found some killer deals-no recalls or TSB's on them either as I checked
the VINS. I also like the oil change ease of the 2L. Plus the 2L price is great. And of course no 4Motion on the 2L

3.6 VR6 is not already fitted for towing unless you get SEL or SEL premium. Towing package can be ordered with other trims.
Without towing package max is 2,000lbs.
VW deliberately does not want to offer 4Motion with 2.0T (they offer in Russia) and more towing capability (Audi Q7 with 2.0T can tow 4,600lbs).

Last edited:
I guess they order it here with all the 4Motions

VW.PNG

This place outfits the SE's with the 3.6L

You did not understood me.
VR6 has to have towing package in order to be able to tow 5,000lbs, otherwise limit is 2,000lbs.
Towing package includes transmission cooler and heavy duty cooling fan and radiator.

Yes I did. The Ford Flex is the same. Without the actual tow package the rating is less than half
because of no other coolers etc.
But this dealer only outfits VR6 4Motions

Yes I did. The Ford Flex is the same. Without the actual tow package the rating is less than half
because of no other coolers etc.
But this dealer only outfits VR6 4Motions

Yes, towing package is only available with VR6 4 Motion. I would definitely get that package if I decided to get Atlas.
However, considering how VR6 performs, I do not want to know how it would tow 5,000lbs.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Isn't the new Passat the big fattened up Americanized NMS? I think the NMS uses a transverse V6, whereas the A4 is still based on the real Passat. The Passat has all the problems, but none of the good aspects of a real VW.

If you were really leaning towards the Passat NMS, you might as well just get an Accord 2.0T or the Camry V6.

Real leather is better than vinyl, unless you're either vegan, or if you were shopping Mercedes-Benz (their MB-Tex is the best pleather/vinyl upholstery ever used in cars). Seriously, MB could very well just license out the MB-Tex to other companies (not even just car companies) and make a fortune off that alone.

Besides, it sounds like you really want the A4 anyway, and are just being tempted by "new" vs "used" car. Just get a CPO A4, or one from Carmax with that extended warranty
smile.gif

The A4 is longitudinal based. The "Real" Passat is still a transverse engine chassis, which the current Euro one is MQB-based. The NMS passat is still based off of the old PQ46 chassis.

I agree. Wonder if a revision is coming to the VR6 or a new engine.
It is obvious that the VR6 was just there but far from ideal.
That is why I haven't pulled the trigger. I think VW looks at the Atlas as a people mover and not much else.

I pondered getting an Atlas, wound up with a used Grand Cherokee because I was nervous about the longevity of the car-based drivetrain, wanted something RWD biased and "truck-based".

I saw an Atlas R-Line the other day in a BEAUTIFUL deep greenish blue color. I'm more of a dark gray/black car buyer but that color was cool.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
I pondered getting an Atlas, wound up with a used Grand Cherokee because I was nervous about the longevity of the car-based drivetrain, wanted something RWD biased and "truck-based".

I saw an Atlas R-Line the other day in a BEAUTIFUL deep greenish blue color. I'm more of a dark gray/black car buyer but that color was cool.

Interesting. Which Cherokee is that again? And what frame is using it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back