Canada - Marijuana now legal

Let another social experiment begin. Regardless what camp you belong to and politics aside, there is still much that is not known about this drug.

This being a automobile forum, I have to say I am concerned that safety on the roads will be compromised. Defensive driving just got ratcheted up a notch. Lucky I live in rural area and only have to commute to the edge of the city for work so my odds of meeting a space cadet are decreased greatly.

Before this thread gets locked. I think it will be fine. Those doing it now will continue to do so and those that don't want to might try it but will most likely fall back into their old habit of not doing it. So if we do have some sort of uptick in problems related to this I think it will taper down over time. Don't forget Alcohol which is addictive and very problematic for those that can't control themselves have legal access to it and we have found methods for keeping that under control. It will be the same.

It'll be fine smokers have been driving stoned for decades - they are the guys going the speed limit, or 5 over - and waiting for stop signs to change colors.

UD

^^^ this (steve's)

media has their panties in a knot
much ado about not too much.

Last edited:
Been legal in Washington state for awhile now. I have read a few articles and have heard about it on the news, but I don't know if they tested for it before it became legal.
The say in Washington it caused an uptick in fatal crashes. Not sure what metrics they are even using.

I have not seen a change here. I hope it would have mellowed out drivers who can use. Does not seem to have at all...LOL
smile.gif

Washington state weed and driving.
More driving and weed

I can't smoke, I work for the Navy, but I voted to legalize because I guess I just don't care and I got tired of hearing about it.

I " imbibed " both alcohol and pot in my younger days. I would much rather meet someone driving on a two lane road at midnight who had smoked a joint, than someone who had drank a pint. I know it's a simplistic example and both can lead to bad repercussions, but one should be able to grasp the gist of it.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Been legal in Washington state for awhile now. I have read a few articles and have heard about it on the news, but I don't know if they tested for it before it became legal.
The say in Washington it caused an uptick in fatal crashes. Not sure what metrics they are even using.

I have not seen a change here. I hope it would have mellowed out drivers who can use. Does not seem to have at all...LOL
smile.gif

More driving and weed

I can't smoke, I work for the Navy, but I voted to legalize because I guess I just don't care and I got tired of hearing about it.

It might depend on where you live. In my area, Tacoma, the craziness of drivers has definitely gone up. A lot of whacked out people in stores etc.

Almost daily I encounter this behavior.

We'd never be in this situation in the first place if John Kellogg had minded his own business.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
there is still much that is not known about this drug.

Such as?

The only immediate problem I see, is how the police would determine whether a person is driving under the influence, and what the limit is.

Originally Posted by PimTac

It might depend on where you live. In my area, Tacoma, the craziness of drivers has definitely gone up. A lot of whacked out people in stores etc.

I am just down the road in Poulsbo.
smile.gif
I think most of that is crack and heroin, I see it too. We have a lot of that in Kitsap County.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac

I've only been to the Tacoma area twice as a day/overnight pit-stop on roadtrips, but I think I rather take the crazies in Chicago over the crazies in Tacoma. (I also rather take chicago traffic over any sort of traffic in the SeaTac area.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave
It'll be fine smokers have been driving stoned for decades - they are the guys going the speed limit, or 5 over - and waiting for stop signs to change colors.

UD

From my younger days I'd say the guys going the speed limit or 10 under....

Just what I heard you understand.

Be nice if we could get some good pain killers out of all this. Something better than blue emu or bengay, but without the stoning effects. Wouldn't it be nice if some pharmaceutical company found a replacement for OxyContin that didn't have it's addictive traits. As marijuana comes on as a mainstream product, perhaps this will take place. The only benefit I see....

Originally Posted by ls1mike

smile.gif

More driving and weed

The only thing the State cares about is the millions in revenue a month. The rest that's your problem.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Let another social experiment begin. Regardless what camp you belong to and politics aside, there is still much that is not known about this drug.

This being a automobile forum, I have to say I am concerned that safety on the roads will be compromised. Defensive driving just got ratcheted up a notch. Lucky I live in rural area and only have to commute to the edge of the city for work so my odds of meeting a space cadet are decreased greatly.

First you are assuming it was not available before and secondly, not taking into account what it might replace (alcohol)

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
The only thing the State cares about is the millions in revenue a month. The rest that's your problem.

I think for the most part you are correct.

Back