Mobil 1 annual protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for input. Been using regular Mobil 1
For years. Thought I'd try this 37$ stuff in out Camry
Hybrid. Looking at a 10000 mile change. Very easy during highway, no stop and go.

I'm not sure you'll really see any benefit going to M1 AP if you're going to be sticking with 10k intervals, as the regular M1 can handle that and only costs $22.88 a jug.

Yeah and regular Mobil 1 has a $12 rebate on top of the $22.88 a jug price so it's only $10.88 for 5 quarts of regular Mobil 1.

And it's been discussed since it came out. It was $50 at first but no one was buying it. I'm not sure that there are that many buying it even at $37 but maybe Mobil is keeping at it just to control shelf space.

I feel like M1 AP is all marketing. Take the $22 jug, slap "Annual Protection" on it, and increase the price 60%. Genius!

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I feel like M1 AP is all marketing. Take the $22 jug, slap "Annual Protection" on it, and increase the price 60%. Genius!

My money says you're closer to the mark than a lot of people want to believe.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

My money says you're closer to the mark than a lot of people want to believe.

That is funny
lol.gif

But... It has not worked out... Those oils are collecting dust bunnies. Should be called Annual Dust Collector oil.

Originally Posted by PimTac
If you want to go with 10k oci, I would suggest the M1 EP. Perfect for that usage.

^^^^^

I agree.

I'd go with EP and get a UOA at the end of your 10K run and see how it did. You might find out can take it even further if you're inclined to do so.

For 10K OCIs I have used M1 oils for the last 40 years. However I am sure AP will protect your engine quite well for 20K, as EP will do for 15K. M1s claims have never been wrong in my decades experience with their oils.

I've never really understood that oil. I'm sure it works just fine, but seems very expensive for very little added benefit IMHO. If any of my cars were driven less than 12,000 miles per year, the oil met the required specs, and there were no warranty considerations, I would use Castrol or Mobil EP, a premium filter, change once a year and call it a day. That's exactly what I do with the Mazda 6 in my signature line, which my son has at college now. It gets Castrol Edge EP and a Fram Ultra filter once a year, regardless of miles. I used to use a Bosch Distance Plus filter, but the same routine otherwise.

I'd do the same thing with my other cars if possible, but my car is a company car that gets oil changes every 5K miles, I don't want to go past 5K OCIs on the Hyundai because of that particular engine, and my next 2 OCIs on the Volvo are free at the dealer.

Last edited:
This is always a funny conversation. I run Mobil 1 AP in my new Jeep and will ultimately get to 7,000 to 8,500 mile or so OCI's. So why not run something less than AP? Because I choose to go with Mobil 1's top oil.

Now the minimalists will go nuts, and they are right, the lowest level M1 will get the job done, and probably very very well. But that's not the point, to me. If that was the point, I'd drive the cheapest car out there to get me from point A to B because it is good enough. I don't enjoy the idea of that, at all, just the same as not wanting to run Pennzoil Gold 0w20 in my Jeep, even though it would undoubtedly do well. I just like having the best Mobil 1 on the shelf. As far as I can tell, that's AP.

Preference. That's the reason. Why? Because it makes me feel good. That's also why I ate a huge fried tenderloin yesterday.

Btw, I'd run 15 to 20k if my warranty allowed. Since it doesn't, I'll go by the OLM.

Originally Posted by PimTac
If you want to go with 10k oci, I would suggest the M1 EP. Perfect for that usage.

Yeppers. It's only a few bucks more for the jug compared to plain jane M1.

Edit to add: I just checked Walmart. M1 and M1 EP are currently the exact same price: $25.47.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
This is always a funny conversation. I run Mobil 1 AP in my new Jeep and will ultimately get to 7,000 to 8,500 mile or so OCI's. So why not run something less than AP? Because I choose to go with Mobil 1's top oil.

Now the minimalists will go nuts, and they are right, the lowest level M1 will get the job done, and probably very very well. But that's not the point, to me. If that was the point, I'd drive the cheapest car out there to get me from point A to B because it is good enough. I don't enjoy the idea of that, at all, just the same as not wanting to run Pennzoil Gold 0w20 in my Jeep, even though it would undoubtedly do well. I just like having the best Mobil 1 on the shelf. As far as I can tell, that's AP.

Preference. That's the reason. Why? Because it makes me feel good. That's also why I ate a huge fried tenderloin yesterday.

Btw, I'd run 15 to 20k if my warranty allowed. Since it doesn't, I'll go by the OLM.

Makes sense. Where cost is not a concern, overkill is almost always a good idea, and I do love me some chicken fried tenderloin!

Originally Posted by dbvettez061
Just looking for input. Been using regular Mobil 1
For years. Thought I'd try this 37$ stuff in out Camry
Hybrid. Looking at a 10000 mile change. Very easy during highway, no stop and go.

You might not be able to see the difference with your eyes. Your pistons will be cleaner though using M1 AP, that is, IF there are actual scientists & engineers at Exxon-Mobil who back this as advanced chemistry to lower the amount of cumulative oil oxidation. These scientists & engineers do exist, that's for sure. ... Some Prius and other Toyota engines have had rings gumming up, so you could benefit from cleaner pistons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back