Use 5W30 instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by IndyFan

I remember when engines would croak around 100k miles on 10w40.

Me too, and on 10W30, straight 30, and 20W50 too. Carburetors and fuel dilution were big contributors to their demise.

Me too, and on 10W30, straight 30, and 20W50 too. Carburetors and fuel dilution were big contributors to their demise.

I would add bad motor oil & metallurgy to the mix-I almost never see the rubbery sludge buildup of wasted VIIs that seemed to be so common in engines "back in the day", even on well maintained vehicles. 100K used to be a miracle, now an engine is junk if it doesn't get there.

^^ I guess my comments were worth repeating, more than once.^^
wink.gif
lol

Originally Posted by forkian
Will it hurt anything to use 5W30 in a 4 cy Rav4 that calls for 0W20 or 5W20. Concerned that maybe the 5W30 get too thick to travel to all parts of the engine.
My other cars use 5W30 and will just be easier to keep one kind of oil on hand, if completely safe to do so.

Will it hurt anything to use 5W30 in a 4 cy Rav4 that calls for 0W20 or 5W20. Concerned that maybe the 5W30 get too thick to travel to all parts of the engine.
My other cars use 5W30 and will just be easier to keep one kind of oil on hand, if completely safe to do so.

If your car runs 0w20and recommends 10k intervals assure you use the same quality"synthetic" of 5w30. That's it no problems

Forkian, is the vehicle under warranty ? Even if it isn't unless you're really driving it hard stick with a good 0w20. I don't really see the need to switch. If it's running fine then leave well enough alone.

I run what ever is in the owners manual. For our 1993 Toyota Pickup: 10W-30, our 2005 Avalon and 2014 Tacoma: 5W-30.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
Why don't you just use what's recommended?
What's with these Toyota people recently running all kinds of heavier duty oils? One guy's running SAE30 in his lexus, another 15W30, this fella want sto run 5w30 do you guys not have any confidence in Toyota engines? Weird how they're getting all the good stuff like they need it or something
wink.gif

He already answered that question, when he said "My other cars use 5W30 and will just be easier to keep one kind of oil on hand, if completely safe to do so."

And it IS completely safe to do so.

It's really not that inconvenient to stock different oils for different vehicles. I not only use three different brands of oil for our cars, but three different viscosities too. No biggie, I just look out for sales on all three oils and grab them as needed. How is that really more inconvenient than buying one oil for all the cars? I'd rather use the proper oil for each vehicle than to try and use a "one size fits all" approach.

What's with these Toyota people recently running all kinds of heavier duty oils? One guy's running SAE30 in his lexus, another 15W30, this fella want sto run 5w30 do you guys not have any confidence in Toyota engines? Weird how they're getting all the good stuff like they need it or something
wink.gif

I have confidence in Toyota engines. The EPA and their CAFE regulations, not so much. The '18 4Runner in my signature line has 5w30 in it now and will get 5w30 at 5k OCIs vs the US Toyota recommended 0w20 at 10k. My ambient temperature plays a part in my oil choice as does the fact I tend to keep vehicles longer than average.

Originally Posted by bbhero
^^^^^^^^^

That does make a lot of sense.

X2

My 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel was originally spec'd for 5w30 Euro Synthetic @ 10k intervals then they updated it to 5w40 HDEO Synthetic @ 10k intervals. I run 15w40 HDEO SynBlend at 5k intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by two4spooky
wink.gif

I have confidence in Toyota engines. The EPA and their CAFE regulations, not so much. The '18 4Runner in my signature line has 5w30 in it now and will get 5w30 at 5k OCIs vs the US Toyota recommended 0w20 at 10k. My ambient temperature plays a part in my oil choice as does the fact I tend to keep vehicles longer than average.

thumbsup2.gif

So, I just bought a new 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport with the 2GR-FKS engine. I figure I might as well piggy back on this thread, seeing as it's fairly relevant.

The manual calls for a 0W-20 but states, "If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil drain." Fairly straight forward. It then goes on with a little blurb explaining oil viscosity under which it says "The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature, An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

Am I to take this to mean that Toyota thinks it's OK to use 0W-30? I own a small farm and this truck is going to be used as a light duty hauler, as well as my daily driver. Would driving around with a loaded bed, or towing trailers through hill country on occasion count as "extreme load conditions"? We do have a fairly long and hot summer here. I know the fine engineers at Toyota didn't call for a viscosity that would kill the engine, but I wonder what amount of wear they felt was acceptable in order to gain a few percentage points in fuel efficiency. If I run something other than a 0W-20, am I going to be putting my warranty in jeopardy? I also have 2 years of Toyota Care, and that's a lot of free 0W-20 TGMO and filters to pass up. A 0W-30, 5W-30 or 0W40 would certainly give me more peace of mind, but would it just be that? I suppose I could get some oil analyses done along the way and see for myself how well the 0W-20 holds up.

Originally Posted by Fredward
So, I just bought a new 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport ...

... An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

... I own a small farm and this truck is going to be used as a light duty hauler, as well as my daily driver. Would driving around with a loaded bed, or towing trailers through hill country on occasion count as "extreme load conditions"? We do have a fairly long and hot summer ...

Based on the above, I would use a good synthetic 10Wx30 in summer. Also iirc, Virginia doesn't get that cold in winter and 10W is good down to 0°F ... just in case, you can use 5Wx30 in winter (good down to -22°F) or use it all the time.

I've had Toyota trucks for decades and I won't be surprised if some Toyota dealer used 5Wx30 anyways. I've seen that and knew someone who worked at one of these dealers. I avoid one Toyota dealer in my area just because of that. This particular dealer lies big time! Couple other dealers are very honest!

With your free oil change you can request a specific grade based on Toyota recommendation you quoted above. They probably be happy to use their generic syn blend 5Wx30 over more expensive 0Wx20
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back