Not open for further replies.
Valvoline High Mileage Diesel 15w40.

From Polaris:
Truck Odometer: 481400 mi
Miles on oil: 29000
9 quarts of makeup oil added.
Fram Ultra filter.

Polaris Comments:
Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor
equipment and fluid conditions. Chrome is at a MODERATE LEVEL and is possibly coming from piston ring plating; Silicon is at a
MINOR LEVEL; SILICON sources can be abrasives (dirt, Alumina Silica), seals and gasket material, lube additive or lube
supplement, and/or environmental contaminant; Lube mixing possible due to change in additive levels; Lubricant and filter change acknowledged.

This is actually 2 UOA's. I had one done in June at 448k miles, but a foulup at Polaris prevented them from sending me the results until I bugged them about it today. This interval was the second with RT6 supplemented with Redline Engine Oil Additive that increased ZDDP content. Iron wear remained lower than previous analyses with untreated CK4 RT6. Corrected Iron wear rate was 2.4 ppm/kmile, which was very close to the preceding 2.3 ppm/kmile. I got more aggressive with the Redline on this interval, and Phosphorous content analyzed at 1490 ppm. But since the Iron wear stayed about the same, the extra additive didn't seem to help. Everything else about the UOA was pretty boring.

The truck was actually in the shop for a head gasket change when the oil sample was taken, and they filled it with Rotella 15w40. I ran it 4000 miles and bashed the oil pan on a rock, forcing an oil pan change, so I didn't bother taking a sample on such a short interval. When the oil pan job was done, I had the shop put in Valvoline High Mileage diesel 15w40 with a Fram Ultra filter.

On the UOA at 481k miles, Polaris is flagging high Chromium and Silicon. This is a first time for Cr, and the Si is the highest reading the truck has ever had. This may be due to a new high performance air filter that I had installed when the oil pan job was done. I will see how the Si is on the next UOA, and may go back to a K&N panel filter if it stays high.

Iron wear on the VHMD has increased to 3.0 ppm/kmile which is comparable to regular CK4 RT6. This is despite its higher ZDDP content.
Oil consumption with VHMD has stayed about the same as RT6 at 3200 miles/qt. Not great, not bad, but I was hoping for an improvement due to it being a high mileage oil.
TBN was still very strong, but Iron wear seems to be the limiting factor for OCI.
I expect to run the new fill of VHMD until December, then fill with RT6+RL and a Fleetguard synthetic filter.

Dodge-UOA.PNG

Last edited:
Glad to see the truck is up and running and working again following the replacement cylinder head. I'm interested to see how the Si does next sample. Love your records on this truck.

Originally Posted by Brons2
Looking good for 481K. How is the body on the truck?

The body and chassis are quite good. There is one rust spot about 1/4"-square over the left rear wheelwell that looks like it may go through some day.
The body has some dings on it that are the merit badges of a working truck.
The chassis is solid front to rear with no structural rust.
I have it oil-sprayed every winter at Krown rustproofing. (I know southerners can't relate to that, but Canadians certainly can.)

This is Valvoline Maxlife Heavy Duty? I would have hoped for less consumption with it too. It's my understanding that it doesn't have seal conditioners like their PCMO versions do though.

Screenshot_20181009-182501.jpg

The spike in Cr may be due to the uptick in Si. Keep an eye on this potential relationship.
When Fe is at/below 3um/1kppm, I consider this typical normal wear rates.
As engines age, they tend to find favor with some metals and shed more of others. I see nothing alarming to indicates demise is imminent.
Overall not bad at all.

14 samples; about 1/2 way to a full statistical data stream. However with all those lube changes and additives, there's not really anything to glean regarding any particular input. Micro analysis not credible at this point.

Have you considered taking samples at fixed intervals? I'm not saying to OCI at fixed intervals, but take UOAs at some fixed interval?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SavagePatch
This is Valvoline Maxlife Heavy Duty? I would have hoped for less consumption with it too. It's my understanding that it doesn't have seal conditioners like their PCMO versions do though.

Yeah, that's the stuff. Cheaper at WalMart than RT6, and I'm trying to save a little money during the warm months. It's $5 per jug less than RT6 at WalMart.
But for the cold weather, I want the cold performance advantage of RT6.

Great records, and thanks for posting. Those redline additive OCIs with RT6 looking good. Interesting how the three low P OCIs had increased Fe. And would have expected better from the VHMD - guess you did too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back