Supertech 15W40 7.3 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turbowhistle
You are 100% Correct. I used to get my Fleetguards Stratapore filters throgh Genos at a good price.

But now I use the Mopar MO-285 due to a great deal on a oil and filter package deal and tire rotation.

I get four oil changes and tire rotations in a two year period. I get the package for about $286 dollars, couldn't pass this up and of course greasing the front drive shaft each time too. The oil changes are with the Rotella T6.
That's a heck of a deal, the oil & filters would be more than that, at 15 quarts per change. 60 quarts is 15 gallon jugs at around $20 each!

That is a great deal, couldn't pass it up. The Cummins holds 12 Quarts of oil. My previous truck (2002 F350 7.3) held 15 Quarts.

The Motorcraft filter has a higher efficiency rating than the Baldwin, and is the best paper media option for the 7.3

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: amcguru
The Motorcraft filter has a higher efficiency rating than the Baldwin, and is the best paper media option for the 7.3

You are right, the MC Filter (FL1995) is a great filter for the 7.3, it was the only oil filter that ever went on my 7.3

Originally Posted By: turbowhistle
That is a great deal, couldn't pass it up. The Cummins holds 12 Quarts of oil. My previous truck (2002 F350 7.3) held 15 Quarts.
Sorry, I was thinking Powerstroke. Even at 48 quarts, that's still pretty good, plus filters & labor (Stratapores are around $12 for the Cummins, roughly).

I've used the Motorcraft Fl-1995 also but I've been wary lately due to the Purolator tearing issue. Should this be of concern or should I continue using the MC oil filter?

I've used the Motorcraft Fl-1995 also but I've been wary lately due to the Purolator tearing issue. Should this be of concern or should I continue using the MC oil filter?

Interesting, I can't offer any opinion on the information you provided. All I can say during my 7.3 days (all good days) is that I only used the MC FL-1995 with no issues.

I am now a Cummins guy, and use either the Cummins oil filter or the Mopar oil filter (made by Cummins) with no issues.

Im running Supertech in my truck as soon as it gets CK-4 approval...If that tells you anything. People bash supertech cause its walmart oil but its made by the big oil manufactures.

Originally Posted By: bbslider001
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Or hit the ST with a shot of Lubegard HD Engine Protectant for some additional protection.

Absolutely NOT on the 7.3 unless you want HPOP issues and injector issues. The 7.3's fuel system is oil driven and the additives hurt this rather than help it.

OP, ST is a great oil for the 7.3 PSD. I have been running it on my truck and it does very well and it is a CJ-4 with a robust add pack. Run it, save money, and be happy.

Don't know much about the Powerstroke do ya... PROPER additives are just fine and often necessary due to injector stiction that occurs with the HEUI injectors in both the 7.3 and the 6.0. I've never used the Lubeguard but I can tell you the Archoil and RevX work in these trucks!

Originally Posted By: Shata
Im running Supertech in my truck as soon as it gets CK-4 approval...If that tells you anything. People bash supertech cause its walmart oil but its made by the big oil manufactures.

Won't they have to lower zinc and phosphorous level's?
frown.gif
I like that it is cj rated.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Originally Posted by bbslider001
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Or hit the ST with a shot of Lubegard HD Engine Protectant for some additional protection.

Absolutely NOT on the 7.3 unless you want HPOP issues and injector issues. The 7.3's fuel system is oil driven and the additives hurt this rather than help it.

OP, ST is a great oil for the 7.3 PSD. I have been running it on my truck and it does very well and it is a CJ-4 with a robust add pack. Run it, save money, and be happy.

Don't know much about the Powerstroke do ya... PROPER additives are just fine and often necessary due to injector stiction that occurs with the HEUI injectors in both the 7.3 and the 6.0. I've never used the Lubeguard but I can tell you the Archoil and RevX work in these trucks!

Yeah, I don't know (edit- mod) about these trucks. I have only owned five 7.3 trucks and rebuilt three engines not to mention replaced COUNTLESS injectors, HPOPs, LPOPs, and been through the entire oiling systems more times than I care to think about. While the stiction issue is a real thing with the 6.0, it is definitely NOT with the 7.3....ask any injector builder out there that is reputable....Rosewood, Full Force, Swamps, etc....[censored], even call Alliant. They will tell you the same thing....ask me how I know. Many, many 7.3s go half a million miles on stock injectors and conventional oil and do more than fine. But, keep using your additives if it give you the tickly feeling like they tell you in the magazines and Saturday truck shows. I'll keep it real world.

For the record, my current truck has 300,000 miles on it and had ST all its life...on stock injectors.....with no additives or stiction. It idles better than a Honda Civic.

If you want to have a real discussion that is respectful and void of snarky behavior, no problem....other wise, take your (edit-mod) attitude elsewhere. I don't tolerate a fool.

Keep on keepin' on....

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Roost426
Originally Posted By: Shata

Won't they have to lower zinc and phosphorous level's?
frown.gif
I like that it is cj rated.

If they remain true to the CK-4 formulation, it'll kinda suck. You can also run Lube King or Tractor Supply HD 15w-40. They are manufactured at the same place as ST.

The attached photo is the latest version of the product label and remains a CJ-4/SN made by Warren as distributed here in Coastal GA at Walmart as of 10-04-18.

I will write to Warren and ask them if they plan to maintain the SN for the gasoline mixed fleet community which will require them under the CK-4 pretense to reduce zinc dialkyldithiophosphates or drop SN and provide a path to adding Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 to the label.

The trade study comparing volume of sales to diesel/gasoline mixed fleet customers who rely on the "/SN" suffix historically as compared to the projected sales to customers who are knowledgeable about ZDDP reduction and side with Ford on WSS-M2C171-F1 is difficult in a corporate environment as putting hard numbers on projected sales is more difficult than historic sales. The majority of oil companies have maintained SN to-date due to the investment already made in the past to add that compatibility and a reluctance to discard that investment as a trade off to become compliant with Ron Romano's mandate for zinc dialkyldithiophosphates, the Ford Lubricants division head.

Reference Ron's slides presented to the HDEOCP (Heavy Duty Engine Oil Classification Panel) beginning on Page 81:

The photos (attached here for your convenience) show the unacceptable wear to the rocker arm fulcrum resulting from endurance tests in a 6.7L PSD with 10Wâ€30 PCâ€11A formulation.

Note that any references to PC-11A (Proposed Category 11A) is simply the developmental name for CK-4.

http://www.astmtmc.cmu.edu/ftp/docs...utes%2020161206%20with%20attachments.pdf

Note that the above was presented to the HDEOCP which is an ASTM organization lead by senior staff engineer Shawn Whitacre of Chevron appointed in 2015 who replaced Jim McGeehan who held the role since 1987. The Chevron Delo oils maintain the SN. Dan Arcy was present from Shell. Shell Rotella offers variants of CK-4 oils that drop the SN category in favor of maintaining higher zinc dialkyldithiophosphates levels and providing a viable candidate for Ford WSS-M2C171-F1.

My recommendation to Walmart, Warren, Safety Kleen and others: Drop the SN during your transition to CK-4 oils as sales volume will go up as your resellers' pricing itself is the main driver for sales coupled with OEM compatibility listings on the label. Volume will increase going forward as more customers become educated to look for the Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 and you will still retain your mixed fleet customers since you provide the lowest cost-per-gallon oil. Customers will not change brands to a higher cost per gallon oil manufacturer simply to standardize their gas/diesel oil inventory for each API weight as long as you develop marketing material to educate the customer that you provide 100% compatible, lowest cost oil.

Since we already know the results of CK-4/SN on the 6.7, I have decided to perform a test using Chevron Delo 400 XLE 15W-40 in my International Navistar 7.3 with 270,000 miles and will submit for UOA and compare that to a UOA of Traveller (Warren) CK-4 (Non-SN) 15W-40 from Tractor Supply.

- Another shade tree mechanic hoping the oil companies will listen.

Super Tech 15W40 - Label Photo 10-04-18.jpg

6.7L Rocker Arm Wear with PC11a (CK-4).jpg

I know you sure as heck dont expect anyone here to BELIEVE that. Nice try though as I have two beaters using ST oils without issue

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I know you sure as heck dont expect anyone here to BELIEVE that. Nice try though as I have two beaters using ST oils without issue

There may be a misunderstanding. The Supertech 15W-40 CJ-4/SN is great oil and there are no concerns with it.

I am suggesting that Walmart (SuperTech) recommend their oil suppliers drop the SN when they go to CK-4 oil as the CK-4 spec requires if you maintain SN compatibility you must reduce ZDDP but if you drop SN you can maintain ZDDP levels. St has not yet migrated to CK-4 as shown on the bottle. The wear you see in the 6.7 rocker photos is from a prototype CK-4/SN oil as tested by Ford from their slides presented to the HDEOCP.

Originally Posted by bbslider001
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

7.3 and 6.0 both do great with that additive. It adds moly and boron, both necessary to keep the injectors happy. I'm so pleased with the results I saw, I'm using it in my 6.7.
The WM SuperTech 15w50 is a perfectly fine oil, and meets every spec your engine requires. No reason not to use it at all, period. Combined with LubeGard, I'd say a great combination.

If extra zinc is what you're after, pick up some Traveller 15W-40 from Tractor Supply. It's made by Warren and allegedly has more zinc in the add pack for old tractors. Traveller is my go to for changing oil on family and friends' vehicles and none of them have had a problem yet. TSC regularly has it on sale as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back