Finally used my Harbor Freight DA polisher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the wife's car yesterday.
Used HF pads
Meguiar 105 and 205 products
Finished off with Collinite 845

I think it turned out well but looking back I think I should have used higher speeds. I used it on about 3-4 setting.

Also, what is the key to not having the cutting compound not dry out too fast?

Originally Posted by ZZman
Used HF pads

I think it turned out well but looking back I think I should have used higher speeds. I used it on about 3-4 setting.

I think the HF pads might be at least partially to blame for the drying out issue you encountered. I've used them many times in the past and still have some, and I think it's safe to say they are not a high quality pad, neither the cutting nor the polishing ones. They will work, yes, but you have to learn how to work with their limitations to really get the best out of them.

Having said that, one trick I have used on my HF rotary polisher when using the HF pads with it is to light spritz the pads before 1st use with some QD I have mixed up out of some ONR and distilled water. That seems to work pretty well for my rotary cutting pads (HF brand), but YMMV obviously. Give it a try and see, can't hurt anything, right?

I give my pads a light spray with QD before working them, but 105 does flash quickly and can dust pretty badly. You need to have plenty of pads before starting or be prepared to clean them as you go. You also should have been at the highest speed to avoid stalling the pad.

Slow it down a bit for the polish, somewhere between half and full.

I'd advise against the wool pad above; a better choice would be microfiber.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by JC1
Any pics?

Yes pics!

Might be able to get some pics when I get home. Unfortunately it rained....:(

And now the trashed clear coat on the rims looks really bad compared to the car....lol

3-4 is what is the speed usually recommended. Are you talking about the foam pads? I really like my HF DA polisher.

Originally Posted by loneryder
3-4 is what is the speed usually recommended. Are you talking about the foam pads? I really like my HF DA polisher.

Yes, the HF foam pads

Originally Posted by loneryder

Yes, the HF foam pads

Back when I had the HF DA and used the HF pads with it, I found I got the best results when using the compound pads (orange) with my most aggressive polishes, e.g. Meg's Ultimate Compound, Meg's Scratch-X v2, and one other I cannot remember at the moment.

For whatever reason, I could not get my regular polishes (Meg's Ultimate Polish, Mother's Polish, etc.) to work well with either of the HF pads on the DA (orange or blue). Those pads and the regular polishes just never seemed to do much polishing (or did more light marring than polishing) with the HF DA for me.

I never tried any pro polishes/compounds or honest-to-goodness correction products (like the 105/205 you are using) with that DA and the HF pads, so I cannot speak to that type of combo.

Again though, the HF pads are far from high quality products, and IMHO they are only good enough to get the job done. Getting a set of name brand pads to use with your 105/205 polishes/compounds on that HF DA unit will produce the same or better results, but they will allow you to do it quicker and easier. You learn to use the pads to your advantage instead of trying to make the pads work for what you're doing, if that makes any sense
grin.gif

FYI: there is a rather lengthy thread over on the AutoGeek site forum which owners of the HF DA should check out: https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...05-harbor-freight-da-polisher-new-8.html

The real meat of the thread (with respects to the HF DA) starts on page 8, so that's where the link above lands you. Also, the list of related links down at the bottom of each page will have HF DA discussion threads which will also have some good info/reviews on the unit for those that have the time to do some reading.

Used HF pads

For a couple years, I used a borrowed HF 6" polisher a handful of times but just for wax application and wax removal/polishing. Not long ago, I bought the HF DA unit and did a paint correction this year on my son's 2007 Matrix that he bought used -and had probably never been waxed before. It had swirl marks -Real Bad!

Yes, the Meguires 105 and 205 dried-out quickly but, I assumed because it was a pretty hot day. I gave each section 4 passes alternating between sideways and up/down. At the end of that, it was drying up so, that was my cue to stop. It looked fantastic when done.

Ray

Experienced detailer here. You need a pad lube to spray on and you'll be fine. Megs 105 is dusty by nature but that is the trade-off for a lower price point. I have used better products but I come back to it. End result is the same. 205 I don't have any dusting complaints. I will occasionally spend money on better cutting compounds like Menzerna.

I too used my HF DA after repacking the gearbox with a quality synthetic grease(I had some Pedro's Synthetic Grease, a repackaged ISO 460 NLGI 1.5 grease). With a orange Chemical Guys Hex-Logic pad and some old Menzerna Intensive Polish, I got some good results but I need an orange pad with better polish. This was on a black Lexus my parents have, and I doubt Toyota clearcoated the solid black for these cars.

Originally Posted by nthach
I too used my HF DA after repacking the gearbox with a quality synthetic grease(I had some Pedro's Synthetic Grease, a repackaged ISO 460 NLGI 1.5 grease). With a orange Chemical Guys Hex-Logic pad and some old Menzerna Intensive Polish, I got some good results but I need an orange pad with better polish. This was on a black Lexus my parents have, and I doubt Toyota clearcoated the solid black for these cars.

Did your pad turn completely black?

If not, the car is clear coated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back