Tips for new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 6 years of rock solid performance from my Lenovo laptop I decided to upgrade my computer because I work from home 2-3 days a week. I bought a Lenovo C530 Cube for work and also light gaming.

Apple products, like my gfs iPad Pro and MacBook always work flawlessly with no issues whatsoever. I want to keep this PC running optimally as much as possible and I'm really out of the loop on how to do so.

This computer comes with Windows 10. Should I use an antivirus software and if so which one? Years ago they would slow down the performance of a computer. I did not use one on my Lenovo laptop and never had an issue. Does Windows 10 have their own built in?

Last, what is a good way to keep registry clean and from bogging down the system? Apple seems to handle this on their own where as Windows you have to do periodic tuneups.

Thanks

Few things

- Get W10 privacy, block almost every possible thing MS is doing in the background.
- Get free antivirus only (comes with a little junk, I use BitDefender free). You can read more here, if interested. https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
- Do not INSTALL anything that is not needed and ALWAYS try to find a portable version of the applications. Consider using LiberKey or Portable Apps Suite. For the apps not in these suites, try to find portable versions. I use more portable apps than the installed ones. Depending on what your job is, you may be able to find everything portable.
- Make System Restore point before you go installing anything.

I quit apple ecosystem since they went Intel processor way so don't know how they do it now but back then, I truly hated many things about the Macs.

I highly recommend anyone who has a new PC or new Windows 10 install to put the system into Audit Mode (Shift + CTRL + F3) when at the OOBE (out-of-box-experience) screen -- this is the screen that says "Hi Welcome to Windows, Choose your Language, etc".

Run this Powershell Script ---> https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/4378-windows-10-decrapifier-1803-1809

Then, with that little Sysprep window, Generalize and reboot the system. You'll be taken back to the OOBE screen but the OS will be lean, no apps, clean start menu and minimal data collection.

Originally Posted by redhat
I highly recommend anyone who has a new PC or new Windows 10 install to put the system into Audit Mode (Shift + CTRL + F3) when at the OOBE (out-of-box-experience) screen -- this is the screen that says "Hi Welcome to Windows, Choose your Language, etc".

Run this Powershell Script ---> https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/4378-windows-10-decrapifier-1803-1809

Then, with that little Sysprep window, Generalize and reboot the system. You'll be taken back to the OOBE screen but the OS will be lean, no apps, clean start menu and minimal data collection.

Does that void the warranty on a new PC? So you download that first?

Windows has its own antivirus that comes with the operating system. These days its rated pretty good. I run ESET however.

I am also a fan of Malwarebytes anti-malware.

Keep the machine lean, forget the applications that look neat but do little.

Just read that if you click "check for updates" you will get software a little before its pushed out to everyone. So I would let others do the last bit of testing and wait until its pushed out.

Change up your AV based on yearly reviews. I got a very good deal on a subscription, but typically switch between the free versions yearly. If the one I have been using missed something, the new one...might catch it?

Additional: run Malwarebytes. I've been using them for so long, that I felt obligated to pay them for it.

I too have never actually had a virus. I don't click on weird stuff and my wife is now as savvy as I am in this regard.

//

Registry: CCleaner!!!

I've used my current AV's Registry Optimization software (AVG) and noted that things got wonky, requiring a subsequent fix.

Note: AVG ALWAYS finds MANY more issues with my registry than CCleaner, which typically only finds duplicates or unnecessary entries to delete. In the 5-10 years I've been using CCleaner, I've NEVER had an issue running its registry cleaner.

//

Delete any superfluous programs that don't do much for you (Bloatware). You'll likely not notice a detriment now, but will eventually.

My gaming PC has been refreshed (including re-install of Windows) several times in the past 7 years and still runs flawlessly (mostly thanks now to its Samsung Evo 960 SSD). The i7 920 (1st gen core processor) still works well, as does the AMD HD5850 graphics card, though it's nothing compared to the 1050Ti or RX570 you now have!!!

I just use the built-in Windows AV program now. It works pretty well nowadays - but common sense is your best friend when dealing with malicious content. I also use CCleaner and Driver Booster but that's it.

Also, if your box did not come with an SSD, I highly recommend one. It makes everything so much faster.

Also also, go into the search bar and type in privacy settings so you can turn off the stupid tracking stuff that M$ leaves enabled by default.

Lenovo's gaming pc's may not even come with much bloatware. I'll have to see when i get it.

I am a novice, so the IT people can correct me if wrong. I have a new to me HP 6300 with a 2nd Gen i3 running 10 Pro that is pretty snappy now after applying some of the optimizing tips. Here is a good overview of some of the ones I have used. Number #1 is installing an SSD.
Optimize Performance of Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back