2014 Yamaha FZ-09, Valvoline VR1 SAE 40, 4000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting, excellent analysis..
Makes me wonder the purpose of running a mulitgrade in any bike.

[censored] that is interesting, Im surprised for myself being kind of analytical that I have never paid attention to the 40c numbers.
But then again, its been 4 years since a water cooled bike, my now air cooled can really cook in traffic, most likely why a 20/50 is needed.

The VR1 50 weight looks like its just over 20% thicker at 100F.
Anyway, if I still had water cooling, I would absolutely look at straight weight oils in 40. I never ride or start the bike unless its in the upper 50s to 60s and a forecast to hit 70 - that would be the middle of winter.

Again, great post.

Last edited:
With all the above said, I did a quick search, didnt realize how little straight weights are left on the market, commanding higher prices.
Straight 50 would be out of the question but see your reasoning for the 40 for sure and still available at reasonable prices.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Makes me wonder the purpose of running a mulitgrade in any bike.

It's just to ensure pumpability and easier cranking across a wide temperature range, particularly sub-freezing. Many years ago when I was a college student I kept my motorcycle outside and rode through winter. And I imagine there are riders in colder climates who would benefit from a multigrade oil.

But yeah, if you're only ever starting your bike when it's at least 60F out, then there's no pressing reason to run a multigrade.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
With all the above said, I did a quick search, didnt realize how little straight weights are left on the market, commanding higher prices.
Straight 50 would be out of the question but see your reasoning for the 40 for sure and still available at reasonable prices.

When I was doing my monograde research I accumulated a bunch of monograde oil data sheets.

I have them for Shell Rotella T1, Chevron Delo 400 Monograde, Pennzoil Motor Oil (yellow bottle) monograde, Pennzoil GT Performance racing oil (old data sheet from 2006), Red Line racing monograde, Schaeffer's Micron Moly racing monograde, and VR1.

There are very likely other monogrades available aside from those, but at some point I stopped looking.

For me, VR1 was the easiest to actually get my hands on.

Ahh yes, jsut saw the Rotella T1, last time I was clicking links it kept taking me to UK sites.

Anyway, good thread, Im good with my HDEO in the 15/50, no shared sump, no shearing.
I did notice the T1 is out of spec for what my owners manual calls for.
My owners manual mentions HDEO of CH-4 or higher.

I’ve never tried the Vr1 mono grade though my local AZ stocks the 50 and 60 wt versions. I have used the Vr1 20w50 Vr1 conventional in 2 Harley’s and have been pleased. Member Sunruh here has a lot of motorcycle oil knowledge from what I’ve read of his posts, and I started using the Vr1 several years ago due to his and others on Harley forums positive opinions of it. My current 09 Superglide with 38,000 miles is always exactly on the full mark on the dipstick after 3,000 miles and seems to run quieter on the conventional Vr1. I haven’t had a uoa performed on the Vr1, and have nothing scientific to offer, only an opinion, but have seen a few uoa comparisons of the Vr1 to other motorcycle oils and it is right there with several of the expensive “boutique” oils.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
A very interesting UOA. No issues running VR1 with a wet clutch it seems? They don't recommend it, but it seems to be working for you.

13K miles on VR1 so far - no clutch issues.

Great thread.

Wouldn't a 20w40 be the perfect oil?!
grin.gif

I ran Valvoline's conventional 20w50 in the DL650 this summer. Best shifting oil I have used yet. I mean, there were times where I wasn't sure it shifted... that smooth. Switched out to T6 for the "colder" months... and to use my last bit of old SN T6 on the shelf. After that it's a strict diet of Valvoline 10w40 6 months of the year, and 20w50 the rest.

Originally Posted by webfors
Great thread.

Wouldn't a 20w40 be the perfect oil?!
grin.gif

I ran Valvoline's conventional 20w50 in the DL650 this summer. Best shifting oil I have used yet. I mean, there were times where I wasn't sure it shifted... that smooth. Switched out to T6 for the "colder" months... and to use my last bit of old SN T6 on the shelf. After that it's a strict diet of Valvoline 10w40 6 months of the year, and 20w50 the rest.

20w40 is just what cannot pass for 20w50 ... think about that

VR1 is an awesome oil...depending on price it can be even awesomer!!!

This thread has inspired me to switch oil on my 2017 R1, I was using redline 10w40 with good results, the price of redline is not that great though, I bought some of the VR1 40w the other day and it feels very good, I live in south florida so the temperature never really gets below 75F, the clutch feels exactly the same as it did with the redline also. Im going to run a few cycles of this oil and do a UOA. the best part is I got the oil for 5.44$ a quart compared to the 13-15$ redline price.

Changed the oil in my XSR900 today. Thought I'd try some Valvoline 10W-40 "4-Stroke" conventional. Shifting and clutch feels better than it did with the Yamalube 10W-40 conventional that was in the bike. The Valvoline was $4.45 a quart at Walmart.

Originally Posted by joe02151
This thread has inspired me to switch oil on my 2017 R1, I was using redline 10w40 with good results, the price of redline is not that great though, I bought some of the VR1 40w the other day and it feels very good, I live in south florida so the temperature never really gets below 75F, the clutch feels exactly the same as it did with the redline also. Im going to run a few cycles of this oil and do a UOA. the best part is I got the oil for 5.44$ a quart compared to the 13-15$ redline price.
. I decided to do the opposite with my 2009 Harley Superglide. I switched from Valvoline Vr1 20w50 conventional, to Redline 20w50 last oil change, and will extend the change interval from 2,500 miles with the Vr1 to 5,000 with the Redline. So far with 3,200 miles on the Redline, all is well. By doubling the OCI with the Redline, the cost will be a near wash. I've used the Vr1 conventional in 2 Harley's for several years with no complaints but thinking the Redline might handle the heat a little better in my air cooled Harley. I'm not averse to switching back to the Vr1 but wanted to try a PAO based synthetic. $5.44 for the Vr1 is a killer price.

Perfect climate for a monograde, and anything around $5/qt for VR1 is a steal. Where did you find the SAE 40, Walmart?

Originally Posted by jeff78

Perfect climate for a monograde, and anything around $5/qt for VR1 is a steal. Where did you find the SAE 40, Walmart?

I'm at 1300 miles on the oil so far, it feels great still, no clutch slipping or notchy shifting, I just bought 12 more quarts

https://www.rvautoparts.com/VV229-V...PIOBN2iOzA_05zGtQQpYmP5wZ4caAipzEALw_wcB

Hey fellows, how is the continued use of the VR1 40wt? I am really considering this for my ZRX1200 this summer... don't see a downside, certainly any clutch issues don't seem to be there.

I ran several changes since I started using this oil, no issues so far, clutch feels great no slippage, I probably ran the oil for 4 or 5 changes 2000 miles each on my 2017 r1. I switched back this last change to maxima because I had extra.

R1 certainly has the hp and torque to slip a clutch if there ever was gonna be an issue. My ZRX doesn't have the R1 top end, but sure has some beans down low and in the mid-range.

Thanks for the follow up.

joe02151, you said back in October you were going to do a UOA of the VR1 40wt. Did you ever have the chance?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back