Raybestos RPT Coated Rotors (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently installed topic rotors on front of 7th gen 3.0L Honda Accord. Was getting a noticeable pulsation under hard braking resulting in more required pedal effort and less confident braking . Original rotors had been turned once previously. At ~91k miles time for new rotors and while the pads still had some left, while there put on new Akebono ProAct Pads replacing same.

Got the rotors from Rock Auto, ~$32 and change for a pair plus ~$13 shipping. Pads from True Blue Auto Parts @ ebay. ~$39. The latter is the same place member GemStater got the Aisin Honda OE equivalent V6 timing belt water pump kit he posted. Both were the least expensive I could find for each.

While rust not an issue here, chose the RPTs this time because on previous install of the Wagner E Coated installed and posted here was the comment non coated portion of rotor showing rust with use. The vehicle those were installed on no longer in the extended family stable so can't say. This time thought I'd try a fully coated and RPTs seemed like best value in a fully coated on RA. We'll see how they do, initial impressions, pulsation gone and confident braking restored.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For comparison rear OE rotor.
[Linked Image]

I know nothing about Hondas , but the best of luck too you .

I also buy from Rockauto.com from time to time .

Well done, I like the clear look of thos rotors. I am a fan of Raybestos & RockAuto..

I have often purchased my uncoated rotors and painted them completely myself. Yup, painted the whole rotor, front & back and let the brake pads clean off the contact surfaces.

IDK that I will always do this but for now, this is the way I am going. However it does take some time for the rotors to dry before the install. Unless I do them a day or two prior...just make sure they're absolutely the correct rotor for your application or you'll be eat'in some raw steel for lunch.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I put these rotors on my wife's '14 Fusion months ago. I should take a picture of them to post - they look pretty good still.

These rotors are also reboxed under the ACDelco and NAPA brand so these are easy to get anywhere. I love doing a brake job with these rotors, cuts back on the prep time by not having to clean the rotor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did you reuse the old hardware, or did you get new ones (from Rockauto or the like)? If I recall correctly, Akebono pads do not come with new hardware.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
These rotors are also reboxed under the ACDelco and NAPA brand so these are easy to get anywhere.

I'm probably going to use these on my G35 and when you said this, I was hoping to see if I could get a better price from a "store brand" (in this case, Napa). Looked up the front rotors and they are double the price as I can get them for from RockAuto. Now mind you, I buy parts at the local parts stores often enough but I won't (can't) justify that kind of price difference.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
These rotors are also reboxed under the ACDelco and NAPA brand so these are easy to get anywhere.... cuts back on the prep time by not having to clean the rotor.
I looked at both of those too prior to purchase and wondered about that. Both were significantly more expensive than the RPTs. These were priced below many of the uncoated in the RA economy category. Like the Wagner E Coated, covered in a plastic bag and as noted, ready to go.

As an aside, the rear RPT rotors are a heart most popular choice, I'd imagine because they are $11 and change each, about the same as the uncoated economy RA choices.

Originally Posted by WillsYoda
Did you reuse the old hardware, or did you get new ones (from Rockauto or the like)? If I recall correctly, Akebono pads do not come with new hardware.
Reused the hardware. I'd imagine RA same as True Blue AP, no mention of hardware there either.

I installed a set of four of these rotors on my wife's car (2016 Buick Lacrosse) 6-8 weeks ago with the Raybestos "Element3 EHT" pads. So far, so good

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
- Are the vanes coated entirely? The pictures show some dark spots (maybe shadows?).

Raybestos says it is "a propriety finishing technology to coat each rotor's entire surface, including the cooling vanes" and "Cooling Vanes - By coating the cooling vanes on RPT Rust Prevention Technologyâ„¢ rotors, it keeps the vanes clear of rust and corrosion for optimal airflow and cooling."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
- Are the vanes coated entirely? The pictures show some dark spots (maybe shadows?).

- Does anyone offer this type of coating on the next higher quality level rotors?

I believe the darks spots you see in the pics are shadows. When I inspected them, the vanes looked to be completely coated.

As for next higher quality, in the Raybestos, on RA their next level up offers what looks to same as Wagner E Coated, central hub coated/covered. Unlike Wagner doesn't look like vanes are though. As noted don't know if non coated part of rotor face more prone to rust on those as mentioned in Wagner thread.

Also looked at the Power Stop fully coated choice on RA, called Evolution Coated. They call their process, Genuine GEOMET rust preventative coating. They were/are ~ $6 more a rotor on RA. Whether they are better or worth the extra, as no experience can't say.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As noted don't know if non coated part of rotor face more prone to rust on those as mentioned in Wagner thread.

Since they're made of cast iron, if they're not plated, coated, painted, etc, they will rust everywhere, equally.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
How long does this coating last?

At least 5 months, from personal experience....
grin.gif

I just bought some $53 rotors last week from Canada which arrived yesterday. Originally they said it was going to be next week from the 25th to Nov 4th or so. Glad it only took a few days. Below is the Amazon link and they have good reviews. The OP's are definitely a few steps up from these. Of course after I order them I notice they have an option to include hardware for an extra $5. Wish I would have seen that before ordering, oh well. Having a shop put them on tomorrow morning along with new serp belt and intake manifold gasket(new upgraded part from manufacturer). The 05 car they're going on still has the original rotors and I think a big rust lip going on. New pads were put on 55k miles ago and the oem rotors were pretty borderline back then. Mechanic quoted $55 additional for each new rotor. Prob a jobber rotor. Current pads have life left on them but rotors are shot.

Max Brakes

Last edited:
I first read this as having issues with the new rotors.. then realized you threw in the issues you were having in the middle of talking about the new ones.

Nice thread.. appreciate the pics.

Thanks for posting. These are painted economy rotors, not painted premium rotors, and the price is reflected accordingly. There are likely to be differences in metallurgy, castings and runout tolerances between these rotors and their premium offerings.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Thanks for posting. These are painted economy rotors, not painted premium rotors, and the price is reflected accordingly. There are likely to be differences in metallurgy, castings and runout tolerances between these rotors and their premium offerings.

How can you tell economy vs premium, and which rotors are you referring to?

Thanks

I've never spent more that $25 for any rotor. Most last 80-100k and I'm happy. New pads, rotors and proper greasing. I paid $10 for the last pads from RA and the dealer was $120! Car and driver are happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back