Air compresor shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, our 15 year old ingersoll and rand compressor is dead. Hopefully the "management folks" will get a good one and install air dryers (old one didnt have a single one!)

Oh well, least compressor didnt blow up
smile.gif

Have a good day ladies and gentlemen

Quincy and Champion are probably the most common in this business a 10-12 HP unit would work well for most shops that don't spray paint. A drier unit is not required if no spray painting either, a water separator system (not the same as a drier) should be mandatory with multiple regulators available on different sized drops.
Auto drain and after cooling is common OE on units this size and larger.

Must curious, what happenned to it? Is it beyond repair? What kind of shop is it in? 15 years is not a very long service life for a compressor to be completely dead.

I once made a temporary air dryer with a 50' coil of copper tubing in a bucket of iced water with a water trap on the outlet. Worked great for a one-time use.

Originally Posted by Langanobob
Must curious, what happenned to it? Is it beyond repair? What kind of shop is it in? 15 years is not a very long service life for a compressor to be completely dead.

Upon investigation; wire in electrical box was welded to itself. Repaired it eith electrical friend who happens to be part time oil change guy
smile.gif

Originally Posted by pcoxe
I once made a temporary air dryer with a 50' coil of copper tubing in a bucket of iced water with a water trap on the outlet. Worked great for a one-time use.

I made a beer tap like that once.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Langanobob

Upon investigation; wire in electrical box was welded to itself. Repaired it eith electrical friend who happens to be part time oil change guy
smile.gif

Lots of vibration will loosen the screws in the electrical connections. I had one of the wires going to the pressure switch get loose and damage the connection. I was able to find a rebuild kit for the pressure switch. Of course I have not installed it yet. I have been switching on/off only one leg of 220V for many years now with the pressure switch.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I have a 20 gallon quincy at home. Its quality is not what I would expect from quincy.

The big one at my work came from harbor freight over 35 yrs ago.

Quincy isn't very high quality until you get into their bigger units with their own built pumps. They are not sold in big box stores like the small homeowner grade ones.

Pressure switches are a commonly available device . Pretty simple to replace . I am prejudiced in favor of Sq D .

Certainly cheaper than buying a compressor .

Take the opportunity to service the compressor , belt , air filter crankcase oil .

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Meh, just a simple spot welder that uses copper flux
lol.gif

Haha, good one. Beats buying new motor for compressor

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Dang. I had clicked on this thread hoping someone had pressurized an air compressor and then shot it.

cheers3.gif

I did that to a full 20 lb propane tank once, 7.62 x 39. Made a big ffffffftht sound, huge fog of propane but didn't ignite like we hoped it would. Small hole in one end, big freaking mangled hole in the other. Yup, young and stupid at the time. But it was fun.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back