Updates to my 2002 3/4 Ton Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
So I have decided to keep this truck after much discussion on the RV boards.
Guys who went from a truck like mine to a newer 6 speed said it would not be worth it for me unless my truck is worn out or rotten.
At 53,000 miles I have a good 10 years left in it.
As some of you saw I added cruise control.
So I updated the lights. The old ones were well old, hazy and one headlight and taillight were retaining some water.
Don't mind the black rims. I don't like them but got a good deal on them in a less than ideal situation. They look ok on this truck.

Happy with the lights so far, cleaned it up a lot. Was a lot cheaper than a new truck when I didn't need one. The cruise was still the best thing I have done to it.
The taillights are much brighter than in the picture.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by clinebarger
It's cheaper to keep her......LOL!!!

LOL So they say. I live it daily...
wink.gif
LOL

Looks great! I am tempted to replace my headlights too, despite multiple polishings it just doesnt return them to original factory quality. It should help maintain good light output. Despite some people not liking black rims, I dont mind them, they look good.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Looks great! I am tempted to replace my headlights too, despite multiple polishings it just doesnt return them to original factory quality. It should help maintain good light output. Despite some people not liking black rims, I dont mind them, they look good.

I tell you the headlights got 4.5 stars on Amazon. I am happy with them, most of the complaints were fitment. They fit my truck well and are much brighter. The taillights were perfect and get 5 stars on Amazon. Front light, taillights, and high mount brake light was 350 bucks shipped (that includes new bulbs for the front).

The black rims EH. It had aluminum 18's on it for 7 years. With a metric tire that wasn't a load range E (one step below). They were basically an SUV tire. I might add the rims and tires that came on it made the reared affectively a 3.80 and the truck has 4.10s
No one would put anything under an E on them because it is a 3/4 ton. The tires were old and had some sidewall cracking. We were leaving with the trailer for a 5 day trip with the wife's family in two days when I noticed it.
Les Schwab had these 16 inch rims with Dean A/Ts in the stock size out the door for 1600 bucks that day. I couldn't say no. Best part about them is with the proper size tires it holds overdrive much longer when towing and I picked up 1 MPG overall. So like I said they look OK on the truck. Lots of people like it. It is kind of broish to me, but they work well.

Last edited:
Good call. New trucks will keep getting better and your truck will still last a very long time.

Originally Posted by dareo
Good call. New trucks will keep getting better and your truck will still last a very long time.

Yeah the guys on the RV board said they didn't gain much going from there 01-06 6.0/4L80E trucks except no rust and low mileage.
When I showed them this one they couldn't believe it existed. No rust here where I live and low mileage because I am not a truck guy and I just tow with it.
Not one of the 20 guys who responded said to get a new truck.

Originally Posted by dishdude
That is a really nice truck.

Thanks. I try to keep it clean. All it does is work.
smile.gif

Very nice truck! Agree with the others. With frame.in good shape and such low miles, much cheaper to keep and care for than spend lots on a new(er) model.

I like the black rims. To me they fit the color scheme of the truck and look like they're supposed to be there.

The decision to keep it would involve more than how the exterior looks or does it have cruise control.

There is the engine and transmission and the frame.

If you are going to keep it another 10 years and there is any road salt used then get the vehicle sprayed with Krown, or FF or CarWell.

I'm not a Chevy guy but that looks good. One of the best things I did to my truck was replace the old headlights. Looks much better and I can see now. Luckily I already had cruise control but it's the one that's known to burn your truck to the ground. Luckily that hasn't happened.

Originally Posted by Donald
The decision to keep it would involve more than how the exterior looks or does it have cruise control.

There is the engine and transmission and the frame.

If you are going to keep it another 10 years and there is any road salt used then get the vehicle sprayed with Krown, or FF or CarWell.

I grew up in Catskill, New York so I understand rust. Rust is not a thing where I live in Washington state period. There are 30 year old cars and trucks out here that are daily drivers. We don't rust proof here. We don't salt. We don't spray the roads either.

I am not even sure where the nearest place would be to get undercoated or sprayed. 10 more years is nothing on a car out here. My buddy daily drives a 1990 Toyota pickup with 400,000 miles on it. No rust and he never washes it.

Last year, still looks just like this.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks good Mike! I really like those style headlights, I've been looking at a similar set for my truck as the old ones are faded and slightly cracked up (as the front grille) from hitting a deer.

I wish mine looked as good underneath as yours. You pretty much have to keep up on your tetanus shots when working on stuff up here!

Originally Posted by dareo

My wife bought a new F350 to replace her 2002 F350 with the Powerstroke and honestly there in not a whole lot of better over all. The 2002 was a really nice truck and I wasn't happy to see it go. But the truth came out that the wife's knee some times hurt too much to use the clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back