Which one is the best air filter and cabin air filter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.
I got a 2017 Jeep grand cherokee 3.6L.
I want to change air filter and cabin air filter for my car.
I'm thinking about which brand is better? Purlator, Wix, STP, K%N, Fram, Napa......
Please give me an idea.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

For the air filter, stay away from anything "performance"-oriented. All that really means is worse filtration. It won't improve power or fuel economy. Also stay away from any filter that has to be re-oiled, e.g. K&N. The re-oiling is very difficult to do properly, and doing it improperly can cause problems over time.

For the cabin air filter, is there an option that has activated charcoal? That's a big bonus in my book.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

For the air filter, stay away from anything "performance"-oriented. All that really means is worse filtration. It won't improve power or fuel economy. Also stay away from any filter that has to be re-oiled, e.g. K&N. The re-oiling is very difficult to do properly, and doing it improperly can cause problems over time.

For the cabin air filter, is there an option that has activated charcoal? That's a big bonus in my book.

activated charcoal should be OK

Engine use paper or paper that is lightly oiled(fram makes some for example).

cabin air filter... in the car you dont want anything overly restrictive.. they have "super allergen reducing" cabin air filters but it ends up blocking half your airflow.

stick with oem type with or without charcoal.

I installed a Fram cabin filter with charcoal in my Hyundai SantaFe. It really cut back on my air flow. I say stay away from those. I just use a regular Fram with good results.

I like the K&N cabin filter. Get good air flow and easy to clean. Considering I have to change mine almost twice a year with all the pollen and junk in the eastern NC air and around all the farms.

Originally Posted by Rat407
I like the K&N cabin filter. Get good air flow and easy to clean. Considering I have to change mine almost twice a year with all the pollen and junk in the eastern NC air and around all the farms.

However, K&N is expensive, right?

Originally Posted by walterjay
I installed a Fram cabin filter with charcoal in my Hyundai SantaFe. It really cut back on my air flow. I say stay away from those. I just use a regular Fram with good results.

True. Thank you.

I recently did the 30,000 miles service on my 2017 Nissan Frontier with the 2.5 liter 4-cylinder engine. I wanted to use a Fram air filter for the engine but nobody stocked it. I ended up buying a Purolator A35700 engine air filter. This filter was nicer than the original filter that came in the vehicle. I'm not a fan of Purolator products but I'd buy this air filter again. It fit tightly in the air box, had two glue stripes across the media to offer rigidity to the planer filter, and it measured nearly identical to the original.

Look at the filters and compare them to the OEM and make a decision that way. Nobody offers actual filtering data so it's difficult to say which filters the best. You can only go by appearance, fit and finish.

Originally Posted by Rat407
I used regular paper air filters in eastern NC beyond 100,000 miles apiece with no need for cleaning ordeals, with never a problem, and the engine lasted. (See signature.)

For cabin, one that is charcoal lined really reduces odors in the cabin (at least for me) - I use Mahle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back