100+ stuck in the mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that El Mirage? I have rode out there in the mid/late 80's once upon a time when it snowed. Used to ride there a lot. It has been Illegal to ride on the "Dry" lake bed when its wet and your tires make ruts way back since I can remember, but we did it anyways, we were outlaws! BLM couldn't catch us...lol

There is another cool place maybe you have been, superior dry lake, and a few other small dry lake beds by fort Irwin. There are some Indian Petroglyphs? I believe its a state park now. You been there?

Its out in the middle of no where, 45 minutes on dirt roads north of Barstow.

Last edited:
Looking at your map posted above, that's a little ways past Slash X, I didn't know there was a dry lake bed out there! I hate riding there, those rocks really suck for bikes on that side of mountain. Last time I went back to Socal I was shocked to see houses all the way out to Stoddard Wells

I Forgot where Apple Valley was! My Wife's brother lives in Yucca valley right off Old Woman Springs road, So I have drivin past there many times on the way to Vegas after picking up my brother inlaw and his wife, still never saw a dry lake bed...lol

Last edited:
That's nothing. Canadian oilpatch guy lug drilling rigs all the time through muck worse than that. All you need is big balls and bigger trucks!

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Obvious fix being a vehicle pulling from dry ground, and a LONG tow strap.

Nope. The hwy cuts through the dry lake. You can't get to dry land unless you had a 5 mile long tow rope.

How did they get there? There has to be some sort of access...pull from there.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Obvious fix being a vehicle pulling from dry ground, and a LONG tow strap.

Nope. The hwy cuts through the dry lake. You can't get to dry land unless you had a 5 mile long tow rope.

How did they get there? There has to be some sort of access...pull from there.

They came down the hwy and turned left on the dry lake. Drove a couple miles or so and set up camp. Then it rained!

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
Looking at your map posted above, that's a little ways past Slash X, I didn't know there was a dry lake bed out there! I hate riding there, those rocks really suck for bikes on that side of mountain. Last time I went back to Socal I was shocked to see houses all the way out to Stoddard Wells

I Forgot where Apple Valley was! My Wife's brother lives in Yucca valley right off Old Woman Springs road, So I have drivin past there many times on the way to Vegas after picking up my brother inlaw and his wife, still never saw a dry lake bed...lol

Its north of Lucerne valley on the way to Barstow. Hwy 247 starts at yucca valley,goes to Lucerne valley then makes a 90° right turn and goes to Barstow.

Bigger pic. Its about 40 miles from Lucerne valley to Barstow.

Screenshot_20181014-071348.png

Yea, Slash X is a bar right off the 247 20+ miles or so toward Barstow from the area you marked, they have a Poker run there every year. Its not my kinda thing, but friends of mine enjoy it so I tagged along. There is a dirt road that goes across to the 15 and comes over the mountain at Stoddard Wells.

I used to ride / live out in that area. It sure has grown but it is desolate quick in the desert. Barstow rd. is still a nice drive take a detour to/from Vegas to see some nature and real desert culture. You can't see those lake beds from the freeway there is a mountain or sort of a hill blocking the view.

This is in the US, right?

I'd assume someone would find a highway sign that says "Lucerne Dry Lake", find out who put it up, and then sue them, a lot.

But maybe that's only in the movies.

(I assume Google Maps, etc, are somehow covered.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back