Getting tires balanced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3 year old set of Michelin Defenders on my car that I got from Discount Tire. They have about 21k miles on them. I rotate the tires myself religiously and therefore have not had Discount Tire rotate or balance them for me. The tires are wearing extremely evenly (had an alignment right after installing the tires) and even at 80+ mph there is not even a hint of shake in the car or steering wheel.

So my question is do you think I should have the tires re-balanced even if there is no vibration or other signs of concern?

The main reason I don't want to have them balanced is because when Discount Tire installed the tires 3 years ago they damaged 3 out of the 4 wheels. After initially denying they damaged the wheels (they were brand new out of the box wheels) it took about 2 months of BS to straighten everything out. So needless to say I don't have a lot of trust in them to not screw something else up again.

So what do you think? I'm leaning towards not balancing unless I notice a vibration.

Nope
smile.gif

Leave them alone if they run smooth on the highway. The shop could mess up the balance if the dynamic balancer is out of calibration, or if the person running it makes a mistake.

I no longer get tires balanced since doing my own rotations. I cannot count the times shops that balance tires each rotation made them worse. If they are wearing well and running smooth do nothing.

They damaged them on the tire changer, not the wheel balancer. Rebalance if you want but it's not necessary for the tire warranty.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Would you take an aspirin if you had no headache?

Yes, it's good for the heart.

30K on my tires and no balancing, rotation, or alignment. No vibration or anything even at 100mph, and they are wearing evenly. If you need to frequently balance your tires something is wrong.

Are they going to balance them for free? No my guess it they are making busy work to get in your wallet. My OK tire guy said when they rotated my tires last month we should probably balance those next time. At fifteen thousand miles the tire show absolutely no wear problems. No next time they are just going to rotate them again. I have free life time rotation and that's what I'm getting.

Last edited:
I would not rebalance unless there was a problem. DT damaged 3 of my Foose wheels with an impact gun. they took care of it right away; but still

Originally Posted by dogememe
30K on my tires and no balancing, rotation, or alignment. No vibration or anything even at 100mph, and they are wearing evenly. If you need to frequently balance your tires something is wrong.

Wow. just wow.

Blanket statements are not helpful. Fwd vehicles will cup the rear tires and most cars have more camber in the rear, causing the tires to wear unevenly thus rotation will lengthen the life of the tires.

Originally Posted by LotI
They damaged them on the tire changer, not the wheel balancer. Rebalance if you want but it's not necessary for the tire warranty.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Would you take an aspirin if you had no headache?

Yes, it's good for the heart.

Not really!

Well I will forget about getting them re-balanced. Saves me a lot of worry about the wheels getting messed up.

DT messed up the powdercoating on my wheel with their wire brush attachment rebalancing the wheels. They got a little too close to face from the inside of the wheel. I was going to complain next time in but in the meantime the wife got some curb rash and I called it a lost cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back