Ford Excursions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here owned one of these beasts? I'm tired of tranny problems with the 4L60E in Suburban 1500s (Ive owned many) and the Ex is just bigger than a Burb in every way. Sick of getting bossed around on the road in my four cylinder Escape. Never had this problem before in my "cop car" Crown Vics or large SUVs/trucks... the 4R100 is a good tranny and while the diesel Ex's command a crazy premium the 5.4 v8/6.8 v10 Ex's aren't any more expensive than a Burb 2500...

Last edited:
Why sell the Crown Vic for financial reasons and then buy a more expensive car?

And then single digit mpg with $4 a gallon gas?

Originally Posted by dogememe
Anybody here owned one of these beasts? I'm tired of tranny problems with the 4L60E in Suburban 1500s (Ive owned many) and the Ex is just bigger than a Burb in every way. Sick of getting bossed around on the road in my four cylinder Escape. Never had this problem before in my "cop car" Crown Vics or large SUVs/trucks... the 4R100 is a good tranny and while the diesel Ex's command a crazy premium the 5.4 v8/6.8 v10 Ex's aren't any more expensive than a Burb 2500...

Excursion is a solid pick, just stay away from the older V-10's and diesels.

You would be better off with a diesel Transit or Sprinter van
smile.gif

There is also the extended LWB Expedition EL

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Why sell the Crown Vic for financial reasons and then buy a more expensive car?

And then single digit mpg with $4 a gallon gas?

i never said i was intelligent now did i... plus i'm drunk and bored and what else to do than start threads about cars i'll never be able to afford besides my [censored] Escape...

Last edited:
2500 Suburbans have a 4L80E ('91-'06) or a 6L90E ('07 & up)......Both are better units than a 4L60E in terms of strength & longevity.

The Ford Excursion is a good vehicle, But don't compare it to a 1500 Suburban. It ONLY compares to a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL.

Buying used vehicles carry NO guarantees, If you have a 4R100 go down on you.....It will cost more than a 4L60E to rebuild or buying used!

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

These actually have a fairly poor rep. People think "well it's diesel it's awesome" but do some deeper research.

You don't see "the poors" driving diesel. More like the frat boys.

Properly setup, the Excursion 2wd 7.3L, 4r100 can give you 290hp/650+lbs TQ at the rear wheels with the stock turbo, stock injectors, just need to replace the intake side of turbo, and a much stronger wastegate Actuator, few other things, by then your going to have to marry it! But if you drive it nice at 55/65mph you can achieve 20mpg with no turbo lag what so ever. You will have to put up with the old school diesel noise, only way to fix that is ear plugs and ear muffs!

My truck does 640/650 miles on a tank full of diesel, it will also do 115/120mph.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
2500 Suburbans have a 4L80E ('91-'06) or a 6L90E ('07 & up)......Both are better units than a 4L60E in terms of strength & longevity.

The Ford Excursion is a good vehicle, But don't compare it to a 1500 Suburban. It ONLY compares to a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL.

Buying used vehicles carry NO guarantees, If you have a 4R100 go down on you.....It will cost more than a 4L60E to rebuild or buying used!

I seriously doubt a 4R100 is more to rebuild than a 4L60 or 4L80. Considering all three of these transmissions trace their lineage back 20+ years they're all about the same to rebuild. At the end of the day they're all hydraulic transmissions that were adapted to electronic over the years, and inside they're all just clutch packs and valve bodies. The rebuild process is the same, more or less.

Originally Posted by eljefino
smile.gif

These actually have a fairly poor rep. People think "well it's diesel it's awesome" but do some deeper research.

OMG, stay away from sprinters! My good friend in the water Damage field uses them and I cannot figure out why! A litany of issues and expensive to fix.

And dismissing a guy like Clinebarger who is "in the trenches" every day is a dangerous game.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Originally Posted by dogememe

Excursion is a solid pick, just stay away from the older V-10's and diesels.

That just leaves the 5.4 right?

I love mine. 193k miles.. V10 Replaced ball joints and u joints at 150k. The v10 pulls strong and gets simile mileage to my old 6.0 2500 Chevy.

Originally Posted by 2003f7
I love mine. 193k miles.. V10 Replaced ball joints and u joints at 150k. The v10 pulls strong and gets simile mileage to my old 6.0 2500 Chevy.

Do you think the Excursion gas or a Burb 2500 with the 6.0 is more reliable?

Last edited:
smile.gif

There is also the extended LWB Expedition EL
Transit or Sprinter?? They both will get tossed around by semis and crosswinds (especially unloaded), and both are EXTREMELY expensive to have repaired. My regular mechanic doesn't even want to see the company's POS Transit, anything major it goes to the dealer for a month!

I would add-if you're out west you can avoid the Excursion Achilles heel-RUST! At least 75% of the ones I see here have major rust issues (as do most Ford full size trucks).

My old boss has a 2003-last of the 7.3 diesels, bought new. He has avoided the rust, probably because he had it oil-sprayed when new and every couple years since.

Finally had to replace the transmission a couple years ago...I think he has ~230,000 miles.

Originally Posted by eljefino
smile.gif

My dad bought one. It was shifting weird and got a new trans under warranty which did not fix the problem. He's oil spraying it and claiming he is going to buy it out and sell it when the lease is up.
27.gif

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I seriously doubt a 4R100 is more to rebuild than a 4L60 or 4L80. Considering all three of these transmissions trace their lineage back 20+ years they're all about the same to rebuild. At the end of the day they're all hydraulic transmissions that were adapted to electronic over the years, and inside they're all just clutch packs and valve bodies. The rebuild process is the same, more or less.
I was under the impression that a 4L80 is a TH400 with an overdrive gear added.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I would add-if you're out west you can avoid the Excursion Achilles heel-RUST! At least 75% of the ones I see here have major rust issues (as do most Ford full size trucks).
All rust belt vehicles that do not get oil sprayed are going to rust. Even oil spraying isn't enough sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back