Sea Foam In Used Vehicle Engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many would use Sea Foam at the recommended dose (1 oz. per 1 quart of oil) in a used vehicle engine where you have no idea of what the OCI's were or what oil was used ?
Would using Sea Foam once for up to 300 miles be such a bad thing in a used vehicle where you didn't know it's past service regiment ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
How many would use Sea Foam at the recommended dose (1 oz. per 1 quart of oil) in a used vehicle engine where you have no idea of what the OCI's were or what oil was used ?
Would using Sea Foam once for up to 300 miles be such a bad thing in a used vehicle where you didn't know it's past service regiment ?

What are you trying to correct? Not a big fan of "hope in a bottle"

I agree......the big potential problem is dislodging chunks of sludge which can then clog a galley.

If there's no "ticking or clicking" go the good oil for a short time period (X2 or 3) route. This is what always prevails in these kind of posts.

It'll do the trick, but ... It's pretty aggressive. I'd rather dump a full can of BG 109 (EPR) in for the last 100 miles and then change the oil. Do that about three times and you'll be clean where need be (ring pack and lifters) and good oils will do the rest from then on
smile.gif

Before I used ANY additive product in the engine oil, I would see what I could determine about the current condition of the oil and engine internals, and decide IF it really needed anything.

IF it indeed needs a little cleaning, then I would skip the Seafoam altogether. Instead, I would replace about 10-20% of the oil with MMO and run it for an OCI.

What vehicle/engine is this for?

Thanks for replies ... Where can one obtain BG 109 (EPR) locally ?

What are you trying to fix? I would renove the oil filter and cut it open to see if there is any sludge or particles in the current oil. Then change the oil and keep an eye on it to see how fast it turns dark. You could add MMO in the new oil 20% of the capacity.

I would skip that and just change the oil.

What vehicle and motor is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back