18 wheeler tumbles off road in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
18 wheeler ignores road signs warning truck drivers not to use road if they are over a certain length. Narrow backroads are always problematic for 18 wheelers. Luckily the driver was not killed.

He most likely was not suppose to be on that road,,,just saying, but his truck driving days are over....thats for sure

What else could he have done? No way to back up, no where to go. It even looks like he tried to accelerate to beat the turn. He shouldn't lose his job over this.

Originally Posted by bbslider001
What else could he have done? No way to back up, no where to go. It even looks like he tried to accelerate to beat the turn. He shouldn't lose his job over this.

obeyed the warning signs? can he read?

Originally Posted by edwardh1

He had to read to get his CDL.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
He most likely was not suppose to be on that road,,,just saying, but his truck driving days are over....thats for sure

Swift will hire him.

Originally Posted by edwardh1

Yep. Multiple signs warning 18 wheeler drivers. Smaller box trucks can navigate those curves.

I'm a semi mechanic at UPS and have a CDL.

From what I've heard, rollover accidents pretty much means you'll never drive a class 8 semi again.
Most trucking companies use something called a DAC report which is a permanent record of your driving.
Swift along with 10K other trucking companies would never hire him to drive after this.

However, being that the truck in the video is a fancy Paccar aka Peterbilt/Kenworth, I bet the driver owned that truck.

He's in a bad spot. Likely his nav system did not update on the road repairs ... He started down a two-lane and we all know there is not much turn around room. If he'd have stopped, the "Highway" would have been blocked for hours, maybe a day.

Could have called for a heavy tow truck to help him break down the rig and tow backwards out of the "jam" ... CalTrans could have moved the K rail back so he had more radius ...

All these solutions mean big $$ out of his pocket. Maybe 2 months earnings down the tube. So he gambled and lost. It happens.

Of course now he's out of work and facing total loss of income ...

He'll be on a fork lift now, if he's lucky ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv

From what I've heard, rollover accidents pretty much means you'll never drive a class 8 semi again.
Most trucking companies use something called a DAC report which is a permanent record of your driving.
Swift along with 10K other trucking companies would never hire him to drive after this.

However, being that the truck in the video is a fancy Paccar aka Peterbilt/Kenworth, I bet the driver owned that truck.

LOL. That dude would still be in the running for employee of the month at Swift.

Yup that's pretty bad decision making, and they could have just stopped, and waited to the law got there. Probably would have gotten a big fat ticket, but that's better than flipping a rig.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by skyactiv

LOL. That dude would still be in the running for employee of the month at Swift.
And JB Hunt, Schneider, Werner.....

I'll never understand all the Swift jokes. I work for [removed] (not a driver) and we're the biggest trucking company in the world, by far, and our safety numbers are pretty good. If you're going to see a truck make a mistake, it's probably a Swift truck, there's just 1,000x more of them on the road.

I mean I like to joke too, but the people who actually believe the joke...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'll never understand all the Swift jokes. I work for Swift (not a driver) and we're the biggest trucking company in the world, by far, and our safety numbers are pretty good. If you're going to see a truck make a mistake, it's probably a Swift truck, there's just 1,000x more of them on the road.

I mean I like to joke too, but the people who actually believe the joke...

The merging of Knight and Swift completed last month did make Swift the largest truck load carrier in the nation. In terms of overall revenue, the LTL carriers dwarf the truck load carriers but the LTL carriers costs are more having to have many terminals and dock workers, and p&d drivers, mechanics shops, office personnel etc. The truck load carriers are a training ground for drivers wishing to get a few years experience so they can move to a better paying job, more home time, better benefits etc with either LTL carriers or private carriers. It's been this way for decades. FedEx is the largest LTL carrier, followed by the likes of YRC, Conway, Old Dominion etc.

This from one of the Cali news channels:

Caltrans said no vehicles over 39 feet in length are allowed on State Route 175 between Hopland and Lakeport.

"Multiple signs are posted to warn truck drivers of this length restriction, but drivers continue to try to go through. Sometimes they simply get stuck, but others end up going over the embankment," Caltrans said in a Facebook post.

Anyone think insurance is going to cover his loss?

Amazing that is on video. Was someone just laying in wait?

Mendocino County - probably a truckload of pot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back