Trying ATF in Harley primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick update since I started this thread back in '16. I've been using ATF in my primary for 20k now and my initial impressions haven't changed, I really like the clutch feel and wear seems to be excellent judging from the looks of the drain plug and the old fluid (unscientific I know). My most recent run was 7,500 miles and the plug had a about a bb's size accumulation of metallic paste on the magnet, no shards or anything that would indicate aggressive wear. The fluid was still a burgundy color, not black by any means, I have no doubt there was plenty of life left in it, from here on it'll be 10k OCI's. Clutch performance was as good at 7,500 ad it was on mile 1. And those miles included some serious stop and go uphill in the Phoenix heat.

I'm sticking with Mobil 1 Syn ATF, but honestly I can't tell a difference in feel from regular old Valvoline Dex/Merc ATF. I'm using the Mobil 1 just because I figure I synthetic will withstand the heat better here in Phoenix over the long OCI's.

Mobil 1 Syn ATF + Redline Heavy Shockproof = clutch and shifting wonderland, even in my older RK w/ 40k on it.

Just wow on something to think about I guess.

Jeeping, what kind of Buell do you have and what's the average climate you deal with? Being in the Houston area, cold isn't usually a huge factor, so maybe ATF isn't that bad of a deal in the primary.

Originally Posted by krs1516
Just wow on something to think about I guess.

Jeeping, what kind of Buell do you have and what's the average climate you deal with? Being in the Houston area, cold isn't usually a huge factor, so maybe ATF isn't that bad of a deal in the primary.

Its a 2004 xb12s and I'm around Nashville. Also run same ATF in my roadglide's primary, bike never clunks into first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back