Walmart universal 2 cycle mix- how does it compare?

How is the blue bottled universal 2 cycle mix? Does it stack up to the name brand stuff like Stihl? How about the silver bottled synthetic version? I am hoping I don't need to buy high dollar stuff from a dealership.

Blue bottle is a conventional oil, probably by Warren, and will be nothing special. None of the entry level universals are. I have been known to mix the blue bottle at 25% with an ester or other synthetic lube to ensure there is a coating of oil left on all internals after shutdown for rust protection.
The silver bottle is listed as a Citgo product on WM MSDS lookup, and would be better than entry level stuff.
The Stihl HP Ultra would be hard to beat in a Stihl saw though.

Silver Bottle

Many WM carry VPracing two stroke oil FD certified oil I run in everything Stihl Husqvarna Echo Tanaka 40:1 in all.

I use to use Walmart Supertech outboard oil in my Lawn-Boy 2-stroke push mower and a Stihl trimmer both at 32:1. Never an issue.
I live on acreage now and no longer use the Lawn-Boy so I switched oils.

Poulan Pro synthetic at Walmart. It is FD rated. Available in the Garden section.
It is NOT in the auto section and it's cheap. My brother also uses it in his Husky 55 Rancher.
They have 40:1 and 50:1 and I think I paid about $1.38 for a bottle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2-3 yrs ago, I bought a qt of Valvoline universal. Lawn Boys special sauce is TCW3 , Farm Boss spec'ed 40:1, Husqavarnas want 50:1 air cooled. I mix at a generous 32:1 and run everything on it. I keep a measuring jar with a line sharpied on it inverted on top of the bottle. I don't remember what it costs, maybe 4$ a qt. This is my 2nd qt and my 2 strokes are doing fine on it. I'm sure there are many better ways to squeeze better performance out of my 2 strokes with boutique oils. This is convenient and simple. Simple is good. To those who worry about carbon clogs, I pat your heads and check your closets for monsters.
grin2.gif

PS Wal mart oil meets or exceeds any spec it has to. They just don't brag about it.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
FWIW I used Amsoil Saber oil in my Lawn-Boy mower since new. I had to tear it down to replace rod bearings (long story, but mower was lugged at low engine speeds and with chute clogged too) because they were hammered to death. Cylinder still had the hone marks in it. For the little bit of difference and the minimal amount of oil used, I'll never switch from Amsoil.

Originally Posted by clydesdale
How is the blue bottled universal 2 cycle mix? Does it stack up to the name brand stuff like Stihl? How about the silver bottled synthetic version? I am hoping I don't need to buy high dollar stuff from a dealership.

A good rule of thumb is to use a lower quality oil at a higher rate. So, if your equipment specifies 50 to 1 EGD oil, It's quite likely you can use a lower quality oil at 32 to 1 with safety.

In fact, in our testing using less oil than 32 to 1 is when wear increases measurably in typical engines. Put another way, 50 to 1 will show slightly more wear under hard use than 32 to 1, regardless of the oil chosen. And ratio's like 24 to 1, 20 to 1 and in some cases, even 16 to 1 may be better choices for ultra high output racing engines. Examples of very high output engines may include 21HP 50cc engines and 55HP 125cc Kart engines.

FWIW, classic 125cc motocross bikes make about 31-32HP at the wheel and are not considered extremely high output.

Low output engines include lawn equipment, such as trimmers which make 1 in homeowner versions and 1.5HP in commercial flavors. And, of course, LawnBoy mowers, which make 3 to 6.5HP in various flavors. But it's good to remember that some low output engines actually need quite a bit of oil due to low quality internals.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
FWIW I used Amsoil Saber oil in my Lawn-Boy mower since new.

Saber at 100 to 1 will result in higher wear rates, despite the claims.

In fact, the chainsaw guys have tried it extensively. Quite often with piston skirt wear and lots of blowby. Some saws do OK, and many do not on 100 to 1.

32 to 1 and good tuning is a recipe for success.

441-piston-jpg.192193

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

In fact, the chainsaw guys have tried it extensively. Quite often with piston skirt wear and lots of blowby. Some saws do OK, and many do not on 100 to 1.

441-piston-jpg.192193

I use 6 oz per 2 1/2 gallons. I'm afraid to do 100:1.

Originally Posted by Cujet

441-piston-jpg.192193

And what if the saw is M-Tronic or AutoTune both can be had on very high end saws.

Last edited:

I use 6 oz per 2 1/2 gallons. I'm afraid to do 100:1.

Yikes, almost 60:1.
I couldn't do it. 2 strokes need oil. When 2T was common on MX tracks, we proved more oil made more power, and were getting 40 hours of race time from a piston and rings at 24:1 vs about 25 hours at 32:1.

Back in '75 my friend,Squirrel told me to mix at 32:1 for the Farmboss. It Stihl runs great. To hear Sq's sage advice affirmed from several respectable Bitogers gives me the warm fuzzies.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I have an email directly from Amsoil to run Saber at 50:1 in my older Lawn Boys. But I just went back to Pennzoil Outdoor at the 32:1 mix after using the last of my Saber.

L8R,
Matt

I am a big fan of the Poulan Pro from Wal-mart also. It is usually dirt cheap on clearance this time of year. It is synthetic, FD rated, contains stabilizer and will cover both 40:1 and 50:1 on one mixture ratio. It is made by Husqvarna, smells decent and makes a nice purple colored fuel to boot. I see no reason to buy the conventional Super Tech when Poulan Pro is available, especially on clearance.

I use it in my chainsaw, leaf blower, weedwhacker. Seems to smoke and smell a little more than the Stihl stuff I usually use but its not to bad.

Once I started using Stihl Ultra HP, all my 2-stroke issues went away. Expensive, but worth it. I can use 87 octane pump gas with no issues.

Originally Posted by jkasch
Once I started using Stihl Ultra HP, all my 2-stroke issues went away. Expensive, but worth it. I can use 87 octane pump gas with no issues.

That's actually one of the worst 2 cycle oils there is. read up on OPE chainsaw forum , arboristsite , forestryforum , etc. red armor runs way cleaner and lubricates better.
Unless you are using the Canadian version of ultra , which is made by castrol.

Back