Which Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Prestone Cor-Guard compatible with 2013 Ford Fiesta? The display at the store said it was for Ford. There is nothing on the bottle to say what color it is or if ford compatible. (I bought the Prestone several months ago) No ASTM or other number either. Is it an OAT or HOAT type? Which type does my car require? I know it's supposed to be orange. Car is 5 years old w/43000 Miles. Coolant looks very clean. Ford says to change coolant every 100, 000 miles but coolant has been in there 5 years. I am only getting .07 VDC reading from coolant to ground so I do not think I have an electrolysis problem.

Think it's HOAT type.

https://prestone.com/cor-guard

003 AntifreezCoolantTimelinePic2018.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by borgward
Is Prestone Cor-Guard compatible with 2013 Ford Fiesta? The display at the store said it was for Ford. There is nothing on the bottle to say what color it is or if ford compatible. (I bought the Prestone several months ago) No ASTM or other number either. Is it an OAT or HOAT type? Which type does my car require? I know it's supposed to be orange. Car is 5 years old w/43000 Miles. Coolant looks very clean. Ford says to change coolant every 100, 000 miles but coolant has been in there 5 years. I am only getting .07 VDC reading from coolant to ground so I do not think I have an electrolysis problem.

The 2013 Ford Fiesta manual says a coolant that meets VC-3DIL-B / WSS-M97B44-D2 -- that looks to me like it is OAT. Not sure about the Prestone chart above.

I'm think I will get coolant from the Ford dealer. The stores where I live don't have a large selection. If what Ford dealer sells is exactly what is in my car I won't have to flush out what is in it due to incompatibility issues. Just drain and replenish. I could go 100,000 miles before the change, but the ford tax on their stuff is cheap insurance against aluminum engine corrosion.

I wont need to flush, just drain old and replace with Cor-Guard or prestone Dexcool since it is identical to OEM? (the system is whistle clean and no sign of electrolysis)

forget the cor guard. I refuse to trust the "universal" claims . do you still have the receipt for it? see if they will let you exchange it for dexcool.

remember, a drain and fill is only gonna get about half of what's in your system.

I recently changed the coolant in my sable, at the 105k mi listed interval, at...10yrs old(assuming it's the FF, i've only had it 4yrs, since 70k) I went whole hog, and pulled the thermostat, drained, filled with distilled, drove for a day or so, lather rinse repeat for the better part of a week, until both the color of the drained coolant, and by my rough mental calculations there was >95% distilled in the system. they one last drain, install new thermostat, and fill with pure concentrate.

but that's me...

Originally Posted by earlyre
a drain and fill is only gonna get about half of what's in your system.

Good point. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by earlyre
I recently changed the coolant in my sable, at the 105k mi listed interval, at...10yrs old(assuming it's the FF, i've only had it 4yrs, since 70k) I went whole hog, and pulled the thermostat, drained, filled with distilled, drove for a day or so, lather rinse repeat for the better part of a week, until both the color of the drained coolant, and by my rough mental calculations there was >95% distilled in the system. they one last drain, install new thermostat, and fill with pure concentrate.

but that's me...

Is there a way to completely drain the system completely dry? How does the dealer do it? Maybe the just skip draining it completely.

they have a vacuum fill mechanism, which some of the newer fords require to not trap any air,

and on older (like my '09) let the car run, with the petcock open and a hose running in the de-gas bottle/filler/etc.

and the used coolant, check your local laws, etc, but most sanitary sewer systems(NOT STORM SEWERS or SEPTIC SYSTEMS) are designed to handle automotive coolants, no harm flushing them if you are on a municipal sanitary sewer system.

and i didn't use distilled for EVERY fill, just the last few... most of the time I used Reverse Osmosis water, from the local company Kinetico dealer (they have dispensers in their lobby for $0.25/gallon. vs. $0.89/gallon for distilled)

Since my system is clear and only get .07 VDC reading from coolant to ground I don't need to flush, Just R&R the coolant, Right?

Will the old coolant kill fire ants?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back