electrical issue, 98 K1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

Last night while driving this truck, I noticed that the lights in the middle of my instrument panel seemed to be out since the lighting was dimmer in that area. My high beam indicator was also not working. A little while later, it appeared that the lights had come back on as the entire instrument panel lighting was the same but my high beam indicator was still out.

When I was almost home, I used my high beams and the indicator lit up like normal. I did check the battery cables when I got home and they were pretty tight but I was able to snug them a little. This morning I tested the lights again and the instrument panel lights all seem to be working but the high beam indicator is out again.

Does anyone have any other ideas on where I should look to correct this problem? Thanks.

Wayne

The odometer on my cousin's 2005 Buick Lacrosse was not working . We watched several you tube videos on this . Found videos , also , showing how to take the dash apart .

There are people that repair these instrument clusters by replacing the individual little lamps .

My cousin bought an instrument cluster at a local " Wrench A Part " for around $ 35 . He just lives with the odometer being incorrect .

You couls buy a used one and send in the original to be repaired .

Originally Posted by JTK
Does the dimmer for the dash lights have any effect on it?

No, I messed around with that and it doesn't change anything. I know that the dimmer switch is a weak spot on these trucks.

The alternator is charging fine and the wires to it are tight. The only grounds I can see are the body ground from the firewall to the frame and from the frame to the back of the engine. I sprayed them down with some spray cleaner and rust remover to see if that helps. If not, I will take the loose at the frame and clean everything when it quits raining.

Thanks for the replies.

It would be a small ground wire behind the dash that does this. Also the plugs on the cluster could be making poor contact.

Overall the major parts of the electrical system seem OK since the headlights themselves always light up, on both beam settings.

Originally Posted by wtd
The alternator is charging fine and the wires to it are tight. The only grounds I can see are the body ground from the firewall to the frame and from the frame to the back of the engine. I sprayed them down with some spray cleaner and rust remover to see if that helps. If not, I will take the loose at the frame and clean everything when it quits raining.

Thanks for the replies.
Your cables might be corroded internally, if it has original ground cables you should inspect them closely or probably just replace them. My Dad's truck needed new cables just last year and I'm pretty sure they were the originals.

Originally Posted by mk378
It would be a small ground wire behind the dash that does this. Also the plugs on the cluster could be making poor contact.

Overall the major parts of the electrical system seem OK since the headlights themselves always light up, on both beam settings.

I will look for this ground and see what it looks like.

maxdustington, the ground straps in the engine compartment are not original. I upgraded them some years ago to the bigger heavier duty straps that were recommended at the time. They are braided straps and are not corroded.

There are several interior lights that have quit working over the years. The light on the cargo light switch no longer lights up and two of the lights on the radio pre-set buttons went out recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back