Pop-up or fixed roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if posted in the right category. Move as needed.

Looking to buy a camper. Need to stay below 3000lbs (even that is stretching it...) Shower/bathroom are essential and must be inside. Sleeping for 2-3 at least.
- Found Alto Safari Condo campers and absolutely loved their Alto F2114. Only two issues are price and availability... Gotta go to Quebec City to get one.
- Another worthy contender is 2019 Forest River FLAGSTAFF HARD SIDE T21DMHW. Price is good, availability is okay. It is less inspiring in a way, but fits my needs perfectly.

Got any advice on these two? I'd love to see the Alto Safari in person if anyone has one! Also if any campers come to mind, that meet my requirements, then please recommend. Camper is going to be used year-round. Almost a permanent living space in a way.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

We had a Jayco hardside. Loved the idea but it was big on the outside and small inside. No other way to describe it. Maybe the dormer would make all the difference.

Set up is easy but the bubble windows are problematic, we had leakage on a 1 year old camper.

3000lbs is a tough one with a hard side for the stuff you want. There a bunch of pop ups that fit that description.
Have you looked at true canvas side pop ups?

I'd look at some pop-ups, the only thing close in a hardside is a casita, and loaded it will be close to 3k.

There are some pop ups with cassette bathrooms but they are even about 3k loaded.

Its going to be hard to have a bathroom , sleep what you want and stay under 3k lbs. No bathroom, its doable.

Last edited:
Popups are the way to go if you want to be small and light but have interior space.

There are some larger popups under 3k pounds that have both bathroom and shower.

Growing up we had a pop-up. We are on our third trailer since 2007 which included a 18ft Hybrid bought used(two pop-out beds but hard walled otherwise - 2005 Bantam flyer F18 by R-Vision), A 2010 funfinder 189FDS bought new(full hard walled with a slide dinette - picture attached), and this year a 2019 Open Range 2504BH (bigger than you are looking for).

The Bantam Flyer was under 3000lbs but the tent end beds ended up being cold with a lot of condensation in the spring and fall nights. Also very noisy in busy campgrounds or anytime you were camping near a highway or other civilization. I can only suggest a hard walled trailer if you plan on using it year round.

The funfinder was a very solid trailer (3300lbs dry weight) and we had a family of 4 sleeping in there up until this year (8 years but it was getting tight with two growing boys) but had a separate shower and everything we needed. I would suggest looking for a 2008-2014 funfinderX 139 which is about 2100lbs dry and leaves you with some weight wiggle room for your stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znOf7vTQt8U

Again, I can't emphasize enough how cold and damp (and noisy) a trailer with soft walls can be...especially for your year-round use.

20180503_184652.jpg

Last edited:
A friend has a hard-side Rockwood A-Frame camper that I've used. It's pretty good, and very light. So it's easy to tow and easy to store.

The top goes up via a simple power mechanism and setup seems like it's just 2 minutes. Easy.

He added a few extra's to it, and powers it with a Champion 3000W inverter generator with remote control. Leaves the generator in the back of the pickup bed. Ya can't hear it.

check out Lance campers models 1475 or 1575. Light weight with perceived premium quality. I have no experience with one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back