2019 Harley Davidson FXDR 114

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 02SE
Either and/or both. I've ridden both the Diavel and X Diavel.

I'm simply giving my impression/opinion, having ridden the bikes discussed.

Motorcycles are all a matter of personal preference, buy and ride what you like...

Oh I get that, sorry if it came of otherwise, I thought that the X Diavel was tuned differently form the regular one, I thought I remembered that from the introduction...

I expect I would choose either Diavel over the FXDR
wink.gif

Originally Posted by alarmguy
I wouldnt discount HD just yet, they have to experiment, figure out what motivates a young buyer to buy, these bikes are not directed at you old guys ... :eek:)

So as ugly as we may think they are ... well ... many young dont want a replica of their old mans bike. Look at some of the new BMW touring bikes with the massive exhaust which I sort of like.

Its a new world, out with the old, got to give HD credit, they still command 50% of the 600 + cc market and they cant sit around and wait for someone to take it, all others have failed. Sure, some models will flop and some will succeed, the only way to know is try.

Coming this year is the HD Electric bike and slated for 2020 or 21 is their first adventure bike, The Pan America.

https://www.sportrider.com/harley-davidson-announces-new-v-twin-sportbike

Think about it, do you think the young will go for dads old Sportster or one of the HD sport bikes in the above article?

I wouldnt mind a restyled Road King either, just as long as I still had the seating position, wind protection and saddlebags.
Honestly I think HD is moving firmly in the right direction to spark more interest among young, but it wont be easy getting them off their smart phones and living room sofas until they invent air conditioning for bikes ... :eek:)

+1
After being on this forum and learning so much, I actually dig Harley's now. But its the styling that holds me back on most. I'm a fan of this look.

That exhaust pipe looks like it would love to burn me though, haha.

Originally Posted by Steelshoe
Originally Posted by troop
[censored] ... I'm saving pennies for the new Indian FTR1200
smile.gif

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/flat-track-race/ftr1200/

120 hp, and about $10,000 cheaper than the Harley. Uh-oh, HD!

And exactly 150 lbs lighter, if both manufacturers claimed wet weights are accurate.

There is always "cheaper" of any product.

Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Indian, it's all good but still have not been able to grab market share from HD and have been trying for decades and losing, like Polaris industries last loser, Victory which they replaced with Indian.
Whatever floats ones boat. I'm just stating facts, just based on comments from some, shows HD is the standard ...for it's worth I REALLY liked some Victory bikes. I also like my Suzuki and Yamaha but my RK blows them away, granted at a much higher price and why I mention, HD standards.
To another post in here, like the new Heritage alot but those darn saddle bags look and feel cheap.
I do agree the HDs are not sport bikes, yet but maybe the hybrid the young maybe looking for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Steelshoe
Originally Posted by troop
[censored] ... I'm saving pennies for the new Indian FTR1200
smile.gif

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/flat-track-race/ftr1200/

120 hp, and about $10,000 cheaper than the Harley. Uh-oh, HD!

And exactly 150 lbs lighter, if both manufacturers claimed wet weights are accurate.

Looks like a pretty cool bike. Bet it's fun to ride with lots of low end torque. 508 lbs wet isn't too bad.

Good Evening AlarmGuy,

Great story, i really enjoyed reading it - that took some real guts and courage to bring the new one home in the rain! I'm such a wimp, I would have probably came back and rode home when the weather cleared - I need a shot of adventure into my system.
smile.gif

The HD demo truck was at my local dealer this weekend, I rode a couple of the bikes, the Fatboy and the Breakout, both with the 114 engines. Alot of power, between the two I would favor the Breakout.

The new touring bikes are nice, but not enough to want to trade in my 14 Road King - I just love that bike. I really don't see ever parting with it. If I wear out the engine, I will just put in a new one, maybe the HD 120. My bike is paid for, and I am a big believer in the best bike is the one paid for!! Based on my riding style, i.e., my desire to see the open road before me not over a fairing, just through a windshield; I don't care about listening to music while I am riding; my bike really handles extremely well in the corners; and it has more than ample power; I consider it a perfect ride for me.

I did upgrade the saddle bag securement method from the attachment pins to the new screw on bolts to better secure the bags - really nice, would recommend that to you if you haven't already done it.

Long live the Road King - Harley appropriately name it, for it is the King of the Road!!

RevRider

I'm too old for the current styling trends of the new bikes...everything is so funky looking these days...and the flat paints and blacked out everything has got to go!

Originally Posted by RevRider
Good Evening AlarmGuy,

Great story, i really enjoyed reading it - that took some real guts and courage to bring the new one home in the rain! I'm such a wimp, I would have probably came back and rode home when the weather cleared - I need a shot of adventure into my system.
smile.gif

The HD demo truck was at my local dealer this weekend, I rode a couple of the bikes, the Fatboy and the Breakout, both with the 114 engines. Alot of power, between the two I would favor the Breakout.

The new touring bikes are nice, but not enough to want to trade in my 14 Road King - I just love that bike. I really don't see ever parting with it. If I wear out the engine, I will just put in a new one, maybe the HD 120. My bike is paid for, and I am a big believer in the best bike is the one paid for!! Based on my riding style, i.e., my desire to see the open road before me not over a fairing, just through a windshield; I don't care about listening to music while I am riding; my bike really handles extremely well in the corners; and it has more than ample power; I consider it a perfect ride for me.

I did upgrade the saddle bag securement method from the attachment pins to the new screw on bolts to better secure the bags - really nice, would recommend that to you if you haven't already done it.

Long live the Road King - Harley appropriately name it, for it is the King of the Road!!

RevRider

Not so sure about courage or guts or desperation but we did carefully think things through by watching the radar on our phones, we also found out later the dealer was checking out the radar too. We were also impressed that they mentioned the storm (they remembered us) and wondering how we made out that day in a follow up email regarding paperwork for our state ect week after we got home.

They saw the break in the storm towards our home state as we did, truly if there was no hope we wouldnt have done it, I truly kept reminding myself to focus and take it easy, which was great for breaking in the first hour +. I figured the rain wouldnt hurt it and might actually help keep the engine cool, though I was not thrilled the bike was getting blasted by water the second we rode out of the dealer. ...

Yes, mine is paid for too and as of right now, not going to part with it, just no compelling reason too yet, the new ones are not offering me the same thrill as buying the 14RK.
My wife REALLY likes the RK too, not into the fairings, not that I do not like them but my bike is my escape from electronic distractions and electronics/security is my occupation so it a relief to be away from it. Ill never say never but my thoughts have not changed yet.

No, havent done the screw bolts, I did do the recall years ago for the saddlebag pins, though they look the same to me, thanks for the feedback on the screw ons.

Talking of rain, Hurricane Michael will be here in less then 12 hours (Thurs 10-11-18 @ 8AM) but will no longer be a hurricane when it arrives, it will be Tropical Storm Michael.

Last edited:
[

My wife REALLY likes the RK too, not into the fairings, not that I do not like them but my bike is my escape from electronic distractions and electronics/security is my occupation so it a relief to be away from it.

You got that right brutha, couldn't agree more. I get hot to trot on a new touring bike, and for awhile that was an Ultra Limited or a SG, part of me likes all the tech stuff they have now, the dash readouts, etc. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized what I love about my old RK is it's simplicity and the fact that it DOESN'T have all that stuff. It's really spartan, and it truly is an escape. It's like it transports me back to a simpler time LOL. I have a demanding job (CPA/CFO) and the last thing I want out on the bike is gizmos (even tho some might admittedly be handy). That clear windshield front end is about all I care to have between me and the horizon.

Oh..............and it's paid off.

Originally Posted by MoreCowbellAz
[

My wife REALLY likes the RK too, not into the fairings, not that I do not like them but my bike is my escape from electronic distractions and electronics/security is my occupation so it a relief to be away from it.

You got that right brutha, couldn't agree more. I get hot to trot on a new touring bike, and for awhile that was an Ultra Limited or a SG, part of me likes all the tech stuff they have now, the dash readouts, etc. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized what I love about my old RK is it's simplicity and the fact that it DOESN'T have all that stuff. It's really spartan, and it truly is an escape. It's like it transports me back to a simpler time LOL. I have a demanding job (CPA/CFO) and the last thing I want out on the bike is gizmos (even tho some might admittedly be handy). That clear windshield front end is about all I care to have between me and the horizon.

Oh..............and it's paid off.

Yup ... exactly ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back